• NY&A now serving World Recycling switch on Central Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by SwingMan

The Tenth Legion wrote:What's the condition?
Look at the pictures, do you think that looks safe for runnin' on? Here are the pictures, and you decide. lirr415-Peter
emfinite wrote:Here's two photos that I took February 28 this year. It shows the three tracks inside World Recycling. How many car spot on each track?

by Sir Ray

lirr415 wrote:
The Tenth Legion wrote:What's the condition?
Look at the pictures, do you think that looks safe for runnin' on? Here are the pictures, and you decide.
I dunno, looks decent enough for low-speed running (as you'd expect on such sidings) - heck, the Pam Am forum often posts pictures of thru-running track in much worse looking condition.
Also, the caption stated those images were taken in February, so is it possible that some track ballasting, tamping, leveling happened since then (and prior to using the tracks?)
  by jayrmli

Since those pics were taken almost 1 year ago, I would assume there would have been additional work done. If this is how it still looks, that's definitely the reason the switch is blocked & spiked.

Otherwise, if an LIRR track inspector found something wrong close to the main, that could cause it as well. it could be a whole range of things, and the defect is generally not visible to those just looking at it.

Jay