• NY&A now serving World Recycling switch on Central Branch

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by freightguy

Synergy is in Medford about 1 mile East of the Medford Train station. Winter Bros is a large garbage co on Long Island with a transfer station in Medford. It was supposed to get a switch(former Synergy) and a lengthy siding but I think that might of fell through. They took the switched and realigned more Westerly towards Winter Bros further down Peconic Avenue. This was around 2006 and I don't believe anything has happened since. The Texan said that was gonna be one of NYAR's biggest costumers..... :-D Is Calverton back on the drawing board?
  by emfinite

Here's two photos that I took February 28 this year. It shows the three tracks inside World Recycling. How many car spot on each track?

by Sir Ray

emfinite wrote:Here's two photos that I took February 28 this year. It shows the three tracks inside World Recycling.
Hmm, in your photos looks like the fence between the ROW and the building supply company (the Quonset hut with the rusting roof) in the rear has been removed (along with many stacks of lumber that were there). Is that supply company still active, and if so do they plan to take advantage of the new sidings (of course, if it's became a storage space center or something else like that, then never mind).
  by RPM2Night

From the photos, it looks like they can hold quite a few cars, for some pretty serious operation. It's great seeing a new customer take such an aggressive approach to using rail, rather than your normal 1 or 2 car spur.
  by jayrmli

From the photos, it looks like they can hold quite a few cars, for some pretty serious operation. It's great seeing a new customer take such an aggressive approach to using rail, rather than your normal 1 or 2 car spur.
If their commodity is recycling, the only way to do it profitably is through volume. If you only had a 1-2 car spot, you would be out of business.

Jay
  by wasKFC

jayrmli wrote:
I don't understand what train length has to do with it. If you're tying up the main anyway, what's the difference?
The difference is if the train is too long, and straddles Nassau's interlocking, they can't cross a train over to Track 2 to run around. All the trains behind you have to wait, affecting OTP, and making them not too happy.

The secret is to open that blue binder in your bag with the word "Timetable" on the cover, and look up a time when you can hold the main and not affect any westbounds. To some conductors (i.e. "What are you talking about Guy?" :wink: ) this is an impossible feat. Hence the earlier comment about this being a challenging feat. Instead, they leave it up to the Block Operator, and just ask "When can you send me?"

Jay
Ah ha, I didn't realize that. Would a a Jamaica Ash-style "5 minute drill" help?
  by emfinite

Well as per General Notice 1-28 in effect today (Wednesday, Dec 17), the World Recycling switch is blocked, spiked, and out of service due to a track condition in the siding. That was a short lived operation...
  by RPM2Night

The New Hyde Park guy who takes Bio Diesel cars is still doing business. Monday I saw NYAR in there switching out the tanks.
  by jayrmli

Well as per General Notice 1-28 in effect today (Wednesday, Dec 17), the World Recycling switch is blocked, spiked, and out of service due to a track condition in the siding. That was a short lived operation...
HA! Glad to see it's the same old NYAR! :wink:

Jay