• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by ccutler

What clearances do the electric wires pose around Dover?
  by blockline4180

SemperFidelis wrote:I would love to see the furor were NS to route trash trains through the likes of Montclair, Montville, and Mountain Lakes.
Yes, especially if its all in the middle of the night!! But even if its only a pair of trains I don't think it will matter much until it derails in their backyard.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a long shot to see through freights on the WASS and MB line, but never say never, especially if east of Bound Brook and the Tier are at capacity 10 years from now.
  by NYS&W142Fan

One of the biggest clearance issues on the Wass line is the concrete bridge that carries South Main St over the tracks. I know a number of years ago M&M's in Hackettstown wanted to ship product in hi cube reefer's, but because they couldn't go West and had to go East then West, the cost was more than they wanted to spend plus it added two days to the transit time.
I do remember hearing a few years ago when NS started working on the Bridge over the Delaware, there was talk of moving the switch past the Station so they could avoid the bridge all together. So who knows what will happen. As was said, anything is possible if traffic warrants it.
  by bk77

I remember years back when the steam train ran with the 142 out of Lincoln Park, the dome car arced with the catenary when it was dead heading through Montclair, knocked out the power on the that part of the Boonton Line for a bit. This was before NJT took deliveries of the bi-levels (don't know what there height is compared to that dome car), but they may have raised overhead clearances since then. The other nightmare to running big freights over the Boonton Line is the curves and grades going East up to Great Notch. NS would probably need pushers if the trains exceed a certain length and weight to keep trains from stalling or knuckles getting pulled. Not sure NS would want to be bothered with that and NJT altogether just to run a few trains. However, I'd be the first one out there with a camera if that traffic were to come ;)
  by ns3010

The NJT Multilevels are somewhere around 14'8", I believe, due to the clearances in the North River Tunnels. All of NJT's diesels (except the P40s) are 15'6" (somewhere around there), so the catenary everywhere else must be somewhere above that.
  by blockline4180

What is the height of the C40-9W widecabs?? Those engines made it into Washington a few months ago with the tie trains.
  by SecaucusJunction

Semper, very good point on the nearby residents. They'd definitely put up a fight on any freights coming through. I did think this route might be "third in line" to the North Jersey market, but with so many issues and NJT restrictions, NS might have to make alternate plans if Rudy Husband was serious about extra capacity.
  by blockline4180

Even in that slim chance of through service on the WASS, the only type of train I could see them running is this!! :P
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1078694
  by NYS&W142Fan

blockline4180 wrote:Even in that slim chance of through service on the WASS, the only type of train I could see them running is this!! :P
One can only Hope!!!!!!!!!

I do remember before they tore up the Cutoff, a few 100 car plus coal drags going through Hackettstown while they were rebuilding the Portland Secondary. That was a sight.
  by blockline4180

NYS&W142Fan wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Even in that slim chance of through service on the WASS, the only type of train I could see them running is this!! :P
One can only Hope!!!!!!!!!

I do remember before they tore up the Cutoff, a few 100 car plus coal drags going through Hackettstown while they were rebuilding the Portland Secondary. That was a sight.

Really?? Where did these coal drags originate?? I do know a few long distance manifest freights used the Secondary from 1976-1979 or so, but didn't realize about the coal!
  by NYS&W142Fan

blockline4180 wrote: Really?? Where did these coal drags originate?? I do know a few long distance manifest freights used the Secondary from 1976-1979 or so, but didn't realize about the coal!
I remember at least 3 coal drags that went to the Portland Power Plant. I do know know where they originated from, but I do know they went up to Port Morris then the Cutoff and then back down to the powerplant. The timeframe would be late 70's. As I was told, they were doing a major upgrade to the tracks on the Portland secondary and while that was going on the coal was re-routed via the Cutoff. Sorry I can give you more or have any pictures.
  by pdtrains

ns3010 wrote:The NJT Multilevels are somewhere around 14'8", I believe, due to the clearances in the North River Tunnels. All of NJT's diesels (except the P40s) are 15'6" (somewhere around there), so the catenary everywhere else must be somewhere above that.
Back in the EL days, denville to dover had high wire at 17' 4" or so, due to this being a freight line all the way back
to Lackawanna steam days. Low wire was on M&E east of denville, and gladstone and Montclair branches at places, especially at Summit.....with wire at 15' 4" or so.
  by blockline4180

Lots and lots of cars in Washington today...Is H02 working west???
  by badorder

The H-02 is off friday, but I think they are working on Sunday morning to go west. The M&E is looking for cars that they need on Monday , looks like they got back the 3002 along with the 3010. I'm going to chase them West.
I also noticed the other day that the NS crew, conductor and engineer have to wear greenish-yellow safety vests when on duty.