• North Brunswick Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by E-44

cruiser939 wrote:
gardendance wrote:
E-44 wrote:Only agency not playing ball so far is NJT (at least not openly). Don't know if they've initiated talks with Amtrak yet about doing it. I hope North Brunswick is serious about making approval contingent upon actually getting permission and funding aid to build this station. Otherwise, it's just more car traffic on US1.
cruiser939 wrote: Well I'm glad that you claim to recognize the hurdles involved, because your original post seemed to indicate that NJT is the party that is holding this up; which is not the case.
Cruiser,
I don't think the post you partially quoted said NJT was the only party holding things up, but that it was the only agency. I think that the part you left out mentioned a couple of other parties, I think they were municipal governments, which can sometimes be different critters than appointed agencies.
The part I left out (because it had nothing to do with the part I quoted) identified other parties and how they had led to the ultimate failure of other projects, not the North Brunswick Transit Village.

If E-44 felt I was misquoting him, I hope he would have said so in his subsequent post.
No misrepresentation claimed and no offense taken nor inferred, Cruiser. I would never jump on your case for making me state mine more succinctly. :-D

Besides, if you've run the P40 with its "doesn't load like JT's beloved geeps, doesn't belch like an ALCO" engine management software, I would already have been sufficiently avenged.
  by sixty-six

TREnecNYP wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:And you feel the need to look this stuff up?

I was thinking the same thing. I happen to love my girlfriend, and without her i'd neither have a railpass nor be riding the trains really at all. She also happens to use NJT to get to and from work, i often go with her to work, and to go and see her, or go to her place, or her come here, all using NJT and PATH, and once in a while SEPTA. Wonder why i talk about her, well if she wasn't in my life, i'd not be in NJ.

- A
Believe it or not, some people here actually know how to use the search feature of this site, unlike others.
  by morris&essex4ever

jimzim66 wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:And you feel the need to look this stuff up?

I was thinking the same thing. I happen to love my girlfriend, and without her i'd neither have a railpass nor be riding the trains really at all. She also happens to use NJT to get to and from work, i often go with her to work, and to go and see her, or go to her place, or her come here, all using NJT and PATH, and once in a while SEPTA. Wonder why i talk about her, well if she wasn't in my life, i'd not be in NJ.

- A
Believe it or not, some people here actually know how to use the search feature of this site, unlike others.
Thanks for telling us something we know already.
  by morris&essex4ever

Does anyone know the earliest, the new station would be up and running?
  by Roadgeek Adam

morris&essex4ever wrote:Does anyone know the earliest, the new station would be up and running?
January 31, 22XX at some rates around here.
  by loufah

FWIW, the web site for the proposed transit village is http://www.ourtowncenter.info/ . It looks like they want a) a town center b) housing close to mass transit c) positive tax ratables (the proposed houses will be small, ideal for childless families).
  by E-44

I think the original article stated that most of the development is approved by North Brunswick contingent on getting a rail station there. Otherwise, it isn't really TOD, unless you consider a bus stop a legitimate transit center. If they made it a regional bus hub, my guess is that prospective residents might not be thrilled about that prospect and it might also be a tough sell to the township.
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:Does anyone know the earliest, the new station would be up and running?
It opened yesterday. Ridership was paltry and NJT immediately razed the station last night.
  by nick11a

cruiser939 wrote:
It opened yesterday. Ridership was paltry and NJT immediately razed the station last night.
You could teach Sarcasm 101.
  by cruiser939

nick11a wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
You could teach Sarcasm 101.
With pleasure, but it's a little below my abilities. I would prefer to be given AP sarcasm or something.
  by Olton Hall

TREnecNYP wrote:Busses up a widened rt 1, wow, waste of money much.

- A
The buses have been purchased by South Brunswick with ARRA money but they sit idol as we speak. The widening is long over do as anyone who has to traverse the Rt. 1 at rush hour and sits in bottle necks at both ends of South Brunswick knows.
  by E-44

But they looked nice on Memorial Day as Mayor Gambatese reminded his constituency how he "deafeated" the rail interests on MOM and the trucking interests on the Rt. 92 issue.
  by Roadgeek Adam

E-44 wrote:But they looked nice on Memorial Day as Mayor Gambatese reminded his constituency how he "deafeated" the rail interests on MOM and the trucking interests on the Rt. 92 issue.
He's basically made sure that the 2nd or 3rd most populous county in the state has 9 stations and will always be that way. That's just above what Montclair one has, which is ridiculous. I am tired though of this. OH WE DON'T WANT THIS! OH WE HATE THE UTTER TRAFFIC WE HAVE. Can't have it both ways Mayor dip.
  by lnj

Article on NJ.com this morning: New NJ Transit station planned for Northeast Corridor rail line

I know there's been a billboard along the NEC suggesting the possibility of a station with a Transit Village there for years, but it looks like the proposal is gaining a little more traction as NJ Transit will be issuing RFPs for this. The loop and flyover would be used to turn trains that currently deadhead to Trenton from Jersey Avenue, with the loop being just below the new station. The station would have a 1,000 foot platform capable of handling 12 car trains.

The article gives a 2018 target date for the station's completion. The article also mentions that NJ Transit is looking to expand the capacity of Jersey Avenue's yard to allow for more and longer sets of equipment on the Corridor.

Has the flyover track been mentioned with this station proposal before? Whether and how long it takes to get the funding for this will of course be important to watch. I must say, it's interesting to see the trend of adding stations on the Corridor in recent years when thinking about the many stations that have been closed along the Corridor in the postwar years.

[edited to fix broken link]
Last edited by lnj on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BuddSilverliner269

I know this has been discussed before although I don't remember if it was on here or the Amtrak forum. The loop was not in the plans that I saw from a big boss during the spring. This project is not being payed for by NJT and is being payed for with Obama money that was given for the high speed rail project in NJ. This project was lumped into that. The actual plans I saw showed a new interlocking west of County called Delco and the flyover but no loop was seen in the plans. It would make turning trains faster