Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Matt Johnson

I hope for y'all who operate 'em that the cabs don't have that awful "flood car" smell!
  by DutchRailnut

the water only reached traction motors and bearings, no NJT engines got flooded to frame level.
  by lirr42

Come on guys, these things weren't swimming in the Atlantic Ocean! They just got their feet wet a little bit at MMC.
  by ACeInTheHole

lirr42 wrote:Come on guys, these things weren't swimming in the Atlantic Ocean! They just got their feet wet a little bit at MMC.
Let's put "feet wet" into perspective here lirr, "feet wet" was enough to cripple 63 locomotives (plus one out of service for other reasons with 4512 on its way to Texas for the emissions testing) and bring back several retired F40s,as well as cause NJT to scramble several of the FHs from Canada on short notice. Thats without even going into the lack of catenary power at Hoboken putting the strain on the reduced pool of power even more because the Hoboken Division Arrows cant be used on Gladstone line trains. So you got a reduced number of diesels doing even more work compensating the Gladstone schedule, and then to top it off the MMC was flooded really bad, so whatever else has mechanical problems during this time will not be as easy to fix. Nothing needed to be swimming in the Atlantic Ocean to make the mess that Sandy already did.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by Backshophoss

It was the same kind of water that destroyed the signal system in lines 1+2 in the East River tunnels,that salt infused water from
the storm surge!! The corrosion from h**l !
  by rvlch

4802 was just observed pulling 6 ML2 up out of MMC, with dest signs announcing it was train 5733. This included the operating sign in the cab window on the rear. Saw nothing else waiting for RVL service on the way into NWK so seems likely that marking is correct as 5733 is next out on the RVL tonight.
  by 25Hz

rvlch wrote:4802 was just observed pulling 6 ML2 up out of MMC, with dest signs announcing it was train 5733. This included the operating sign in the cab window on the rear. Saw nothing else waiting for RVL service on the way into NWK so seems likely that marking is correct as 5733 is next out on the RVL tonight.
Hmm, went to get fuel before that move?
  by ApproachMedium

It was probably a set stored there, raritan sets get stored in the MMC between rush hours etc.
  by 25Hz

ApproachMedium wrote:It was probably a set stored there, raritan sets get stored in the MMC between rush hours etc.
How often do they sit in hudson?
  by ApproachMedium

Every day.
  by nomis

I never knew Texas was in Colorado ...
  by ACeInTheHole

nomis wrote:I never knew Texas was in Colorado ...
I didnt know san antonio was in Colorado.. Srock distinctly said 4512 was on its way to San Antonio Texas for emissions testing, it's right there in the ALP-45 thread on page 168... Check yourself before you open your mouth.
  by lirr42

Yes sir, it says it right here:
srock1028 wrote:
25Hz wrote:Was that the one going for testing in CO?
No, it is going to San Antonio TX for emissions testing.
And yes, try reading things before making the smart remark. And there is a San Antonio in Colorodo, but you didn't think of that either, I guess.

*cue people who whine that they miss Cruiser*
  by nomis

well then i stand corrected .. .
- A