• NJ Transit promises improvements to Annandale

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Woodcrest295

NJ Transit promises improvements to Annandale train station
By Curtis Leeds / Hunterdon County Democrat
January 25, 2010, 7:09AM
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... vemen.html (article might not be online forever)

CLINTON TWP. — Residents who are tired of the cracked pavement, potholes and helter-skelter parking at the NJ Transit train station at the edge of Annandale are finding that maybe they really can fight city hall.

In fact, local government is helping the 20 residents who are part of the Annandale Citizen Advisory Committee get the attention of state transit officials, who have promised a new “concept plan” to fix the eyesore.

Mayor Kevin Cimei created the CAC to help advise Township Council about Annandale’s ongoing problems, which include the train station and traffic that ignores the posted 25 mph speed limit. CAC member John Lazarus says all the village’s problems are related.

“What we need to do is get the multiple chorus of voices to sing from the same hymn,” said Lazarus, who’s working to improve the landmark property. “Right now, it’s in horrible condition,” he said. “It looks like London during the blitz.” Commuters park in the lumber yard, which is private property, they park on the gravel and they park on the dirt, he said.

“It’s screaming out for attention,” he said. “There’s no rhyme or reason to the way
people park… the sheer neglect of the (train) station speaks for itself.” He called the station “the most heavily used and dilapidated station in the region” that is “offensive to the historical character of the village.”

How historic is the station itself? “Exceedingly,” said Brian Mullay, chairman of the township’s Historical Preservation Commission. “Annandale wouldn’t have happened without it.” First called the Town of Clinton Station, it was renamed Annandale in 1873, Mullay said.

The original building was razed around 1983 and replaced with a shelter that Lazarus described as “a phone booth on steroids” that doesn’t fit with its surroundings.

Lazarus said he doesn’t want something for nothing. If the state is willing to make improvements, he and his neighbors promise to officially “adopt” the site and help keep it free from litter and debris.

Lazarus said the progress that’s been made so far is the result of a team effort. After his group studied the matter, Township Council adopted a resolution last year urging NJ Transit to pave and stripe the parking lot and “optimize” parking capacity. Although about 130 vehicles park there now at peak times, the site’s capacity is only 77 spaces, he said.

He then won support from a string of allies. County Planning Board Director Sue Dziamara, who lives in the township, urged NJ Transit to return “this historic rail station to a well-maintained, pedestrian-friendly facility” and called it “the most heavily used station in Hunterdon County and the largest free station parking lot on the Raritan Valley Line.” Freeholder Matt Holt and HART Commuter Information Services are also on-board with seeking improvements, Lazarus said.

NJ transit’s executive director said in a letter to Dziamara that work to improve the property could begin this year, Lazarus is hopeful, but cautious. “I’ll be happy when I see some asphalt,” he said.
  by pierrerabbit

Just learned that Warren Lumber Co has closed completely, so maybe NJT can purchase or lease the old lumber yard property next to the station, and add much-needed parking.
  by sean3f

You can see steroid shelter in this video, looks habitable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1BVm_HDgw

If I am not mistaken they only use part of the lumber yard property. I always thought that was strange that the lumber yard seemed like part of the station.
  by Passaic River Rat

Cracked pavement? This is a problem?
Any excuse to spend. Oh boy.
Woodcrest295 wrote:NJ Transit promises improvements to Annandale train station
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... vemen.html (article might not be online forever)

CLINTON TWP. — Residents who are tired of the cracked pavement, potholes and helter-skelter parking at the NJ Transit train station at the edge of Annandale are....
  by Jtgshu

sean3f wrote:You can see steroid shelter in this video, looks habitable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1BVm_HDgw

If I am not mistaken they only use part of the lumber yard property. I always thought that was strange that the lumber yard seemed like part of the station.
People park over the rails of the siding for the lumberyard and all over the place. It is quite crazy with parking up there. While I too dont' agree with the "cracked pavement" issue, the station it self could use some sprucing up, and a regular rock platform or better yet a totally paved platform would be much better than the stupid paved walkways out to the train. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't think it was a trainstation.
  by pierrerabbit

Woodcrest295 wrote:was that a joke or did you not read the article
Uh, yeah, I read the article. Just saying that since the Warren Lumber Co. has closed all of its sites, and no one else seems interested in the Annandale property, maybe the state should make an offer.
  by Port Jervis

Passaic River Rat wrote:Cracked pavement? This is a problem?

CLINTON TWP. — Residents who are tired of the cracked pavement, potholes and helter-skelter parking at the NJ Transit train station at the edge of Annandale are....
Yeah, imagine what these people would say after getting a good look at the dozens of SEPTA "stations" which are exponentially worse than Annandale, and significantly busier.
  by Port Jervis

Jtgshu wrote:
sean3f wrote:You can see steroid shelter in this video, looks habitable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa1BVm_HDgw

People park over the rails of the siding for the lumberyard and all over the place. It is quite crazy with parking up there. While I too dont' agree with the "cracked pavement" issue, the station it self could use some sprucing up, and a regular rock platform or better yet a totally paved platform would be much better than the stupid paved walkways out to the train. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't think it was a trainstation.
What it does need is a bigger shelter. The lone shelter fits 4 people, max. If it's raining in the AM, you're stuck waiting in your car.

http://images.nycsubway.org/i103000/img_103652.jpg
  by fishmech

Passaic River Rat wrote:Cracked pavement? This is a problem?

Cracked pavement becomes potholes becomes severely messed up pavement that noone wants to go over.
  by Passaic River Rat

This is true. Especially on interstate highways, which Annandale is not.

My point? Train service is the proirity, not the aesthetic quality of pavement. If the pavement is left to its own I am quite sure ridership will NOT dry up at Annandale.
fishmech wrote:
Passaic River Rat wrote:Cracked pavement? This is a problem? Any excuse to spend. Oh boy.

Cracked pavement becomes potholes becomes severely messed up pavement that noone wants to go over.
  by transit383

Wasn't there a plan to consolidate Annandale and Lebanon into one station near the US-22/I-78 interchange? What ever happened to that?
  by Passaic River Rat

fishmech wrote:Cracked pavement becomes potholes becomes severely messed up pavement that noone wants to go over.
And FWIW, I have seen Annandale packed with people parked on dirt, gravel and broken pavement. The condition of the ground that they leave their cars on does not affect their decision to travel by train.
The do-nothing alternative is the most pragmatic course of action. Any other action is just a political pork-barrel maneuver.
  by Sirsonic

Passaic River Rat wrote:
fishmech wrote:Cracked pavement becomes potholes becomes severely messed up pavement that noone wants to go over.
And FWIW, I have seen Annandale packed with people parked on dirt, gravel and broken pavement. The condition of the ground that they leave their cars on does not affect their decision to travel by train.
The do-nothing alternative is the most pragmatic course of action. Any other action is just a political pork-barrel maneuver.
Cracked pavement, potholes, and "severely messed up pavement" can damage vehicles. The costs associated with the claims that would result could easily exceed the cost of paving the parking lot. The "do-nothing alternative", aka pretend it doesn't exist and hope the problem just goes away, will only result in increased costs for maintenance now and a more expensive repaving job down the road. Taking care of small problems before they become big problems is not "a pork-barrel maneuver", but rather wise planning.
  by pierrerabbit

transit383 wrote:Wasn't there a plan to consolidate Annandale and Lebanon into one station near the US-22/I-78 interchange? What ever happened to that?
This is all I could find on it:
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... _rail.html

"CLINTON TWP. -- Thanks, but no thanks. That's the message township officials expect to send to the state Department of Transportation about its plan to build a 500-space park-and-ride on a 21-acre parcel at the corner of Round Valley Access Road and Route 22 east. The property backs up to the Raritan Valley railroad line and the transit center would offer both train and bus service.

Mayor Kevin Cimei said the plan offers the township "cars, crime and a big non-ratable," because the state-owned facility wouldn't pay property taxes. As part of the project, the state would close the Annandale train station and Mr. Cimei said he wouldn't be surprised if the plan also includes closing the Lebanon station."