• NJ Transit promises improvements to Annandale

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by fishmech

Sirsonic wrote:
Passaic River Rat wrote:
fishmech wrote:Cracked pavement becomes potholes becomes severely messed up pavement that noone wants to go over.
And FWIW, I have seen Annandale packed with people parked on dirt, gravel and broken pavement. The condition of the ground that they leave their cars on does not affect their decision to travel by train.
The do-nothing alternative is the most pragmatic course of action. Any other action is just a political pork-barrel maneuver.
Cracked pavement, potholes, and "severely messed up pavement" can damage vehicles. The costs associated with the claims that would result could easily exceed the cost of paving the parking lot. The "do-nothing alternative", aka pretend it doesn't exist and hope the problem just goes away, will only result in increased costs for maintenance now and a more expensive repaving job down the road. Taking care of small problems before they become big problems is not "a pork-barrel maneuver", but rather wise planning.
Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to send a guy out with a bucket of pavement patch as needed, rather then wait and possibly need to do a ton of expensive repaving.
  by philipmartin

"severely messed up pavement" can damage vehicles.
I occasionally park there, sometimes over the tracks, on the dirt, and have absolutely no problem. I think it is a good place to park, (except for its small capacity,) the way it is; and am afraid the "improvements" will result in "pay parking."
  by Roadgeek Adam

Cracked pavement? :| - North Branch's isn't even pavement, its a gravel lot. Tight-wads :\
  by cruiser939

philipmartin wrote:
"severely messed up pavement" can damage vehicles.
I occasionally park there, sometimes over the tracks, on the dirt, and have absolutely no problem. I think it is a good place to park, (except for its small capacity,) the way it is; and am afraid the "improvements" will result in "pay parking."
A simple find and replace action, when applied to this statement, yields a much more truthful post:
I occasionally live there, sometimes over the tracks, on the dirt, and have absolutely no problem. I think it is a good place to live, (except for its small capacity,) the way it is; and am afraid the "improvements" will result in "pay living."
  by 3rdavenueEL

Here's my idea for an improvement. Extend into Allentown. The big rigs can have 22 and 78 and commuters would use less fuel, go faster and be safe and comfortable. Not a bad idea.
  by philipmartin

Here's my idea for an improvement. Extend into Allentown.
I saw trains doing that in the early 1960s, and my impression is that they were empty, and that the mail contract is all that kept them going. Trans Bridge does run more busses on that route, now, than I saw in the old days. I wish that NJT would build another "Metro Park" along I78 somewhere.
I'm referring to the Jersey Central trains above. I was particularly conscious of them because I was working G, helping get L&H trains to Allentown, and PU wouldn't take them if there was a passenger train due.
I sold Lehigh Valley tickets in thee new ticket area, in Penn Station, NY, the first half of 1957, and don't remember any big rush for them. After I went into towers the second half of 1957, I got a New York Division annual pass, (good to Philly.the division point being Holmesburg Jct.) One day I asked the conductor of a Lehigh Valley train, if he would carry me to Allentown on my Pennsy pass. There was an official standing near by, and the condr. sort of pushed me on the train. It wasn't exactly standing room only on that train, either.