• Nickel Plate 765 Buffalo-Corning Aug. 1-2, 2015

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by umtrr-author

Very nice shot! Thanks for sharing.

As an aside to this, I was over at Trains and Lanes in Easton, PA earlier this week and there was a father with two young children there. One of his boys wanted to know if he could see a real Big Boy, which led to talking about Steamtown, which led to the discussion of the 765's runs in the Allentown area.
  by SST

Definitely a nice picture. I'm on the train tomorrow.

I just got back from watching it pass through Lancaster. Wow! The skies cleared just in time and I got a great video. When I get home I'll get it posted. I was in view of the signal at Pavement so I kept it in sight. Dark...dark....dark......GREEN here it comes! :-D
  by charlie6017

My son and I took a spur of the moment drive down to Hornell, thinking and HOPING that
we would be able to catch some luck and see the train there. We were pretty lucky, it was
just beginning to crawl ahead after they stopped and picked up the box lunches for the
passengers.

We drove down Park Drive and headed into a parking lot off Ice House Road, flew out of
the car and jogged up as close as I could to get some photos. The train was jusssssssst starting
to pick up a 'lil speed as you'll see!

The Gods were with us today!! :wink:

Here's the link to my album on Photobucket, it's easier to post this than re-size the photos!

http://s926.photobucket.com/user/charli ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlie
  by scopelliti

I was surprised at the speed. I was expecting a more leisurely cruise. Very cool. Those Berkshires were built for fast freights. BTW umtrr-author don't forget that the Union Pacific is bringing Big Boy 4014 back to life. I doubt we'll see it this far east...
  by railfan87

Frankly, I'm just surprised no one died or got in a head on collision today while chasing the train. Saw some reeeeeeeeeeeeeal stupid driving today!
  by sallenparks

This was a lot of fun. First off I'd like to thank the guy with the pick up whom I met that was nice enough to let me my brother and my nephew hang out at his truck to catch the 765 coming into Corning. Most Fan's I meet are well kind of for a better word jerks which is why I fan alone mostly. But you sir if your on here are a great man. (Sorry about the little rant.) Secondly I don't think anyone quite knew what too do about the water stop. So many people, cops had a time. Someone NS I think bitching up a storm to the cops. locals all over the place with selfie's and family photos in front of the train on the tracks, crazy driver's it was a lot of fun. Hopefully everyone out there today is safe.
  by nydepot

I was on the train and saw some stupid driving. There was a guy driving an Intrepid that needs a Darwin Award.
  by Old & Weary

Totally agree with you guys. I'm not into chasing special trains for just these reasons. Picked morning and afternoon spots yesterday which I thought were just far enough out of the way not to get overwhelmed. Spent an hour and a half in peace at both. In the morning, four or five cars showed up at the last minute but everything was calm and orderly. In the afternoon, a few locals wandered over after receiving a call from their friends in Attica. With smoke on the horizon, several cars showed up wildly looking for a place to park on both sides of the crossing and the scene deteriorated into locals trying to retrieve their wandering dog off the tracks, railfans scared of wandering dog (which was actually harmless), locals raising their smartphones, railfans pointing expensive equipment and a crabby old lady telling people to get out of the way of her smartphone. All this accompanied by ringing bells and lowering gates. Oh Well, it only happens every thirty years and I didn't get anybody in my shots at either spot. Today for a quiet afternoon watching Pocono.
  by SST

I don't know which was more fun. Riding the train or watching the people chasing it. Most of them didn't even look at the while train. Get a shot of the locomotive and scramble like hell for the next area.
  by charlie6017

Old & Weary wrote:Totally agree with you guys. I'm not into chasing special trains for just these reasons. Picked morning and afternoon spots yesterday which I thought were just far enough out of the way not to get overwhelmed. Spent an hour and a half in peace at both. In the morning, four or five cars showed up at the last minute but everything was calm and orderly. In the afternoon, a few locals wandered over after receiving a call from their friends in Attica. With smoke on the horizon, several cars showed up wildly looking for a place to park on both sides of the crossing and the scene deteriorated into locals trying to retrieve their wandering dog off the tracks, railfans scared of wandering dog (which was actually harmless), locals raising their smartphones, railfans pointing expensive equipment and a crabby old lady telling people to get out of the way of her smartphone. All this accompanied by ringing bells and lowering gates. Oh Well, it only happens every thirty years and I didn't get anybody in my shots at either spot. Today for a quiet afternoon watching Pocono.
You guys are right-on about the craziness, I saw just enough Saturday in Hornell around the train to make me glad I just zipped
down 390 to Hornell......get my handful of shots and got right the hell back out. Good enough for me! :P

Charlie