• NHSL platforms at 69th Street

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Septa Fan

With all of the deferred maintenance on SEPTA property, I'm wondering why management felt it so necessary to take out and replace completely all of the apparently solid concrete platforms at 69th Street serving the NHSL. The work is a tremendous inconvenience to passengers and the well paid Union workers seem to be taking forever. I've seen houses built in in shorter time periods. Any clue ?
Thank you,
SEPTA FAN
  by Clearfield

On what basis do you know that the "apparently solid concrete platforms" didn't need to be replaced?

When did you last inspect the foundations?
  by Septa Fan

Clearfield wrote:On what basis do you know that the "apparently solid concrete platforms" didn't need to be replaced?

Fair question. Of course, I could never get down underneath the platforms as a mere passenger. Can you ?
On top of that, I am not an engineer. Are you ?
I just ride the RTE 100 every day and the old platforms seemed very solid. They did not shake or vibrate and they did not have any crack .
Okay, safety is always first. If you know something, enlighten the readers of this forum, please.
Also this replacement work has been going on for over a month. They are replacing a platform, not building the world trade center.
I do however ride with construction and engineering professionals who live near me and they opine that this project is too much, too long and probably too expensive the way it is being done (without commenting on the necessity of same).
Thank you
  by scotty269

Septa Fan wrote:
Clearfield wrote:On what basis do you know that the "apparently solid concrete platforms" didn't need to be replaced?

Fair question. Of course, I could never get down underneath the platforms as a mere passenger. Can you ?
I just ride the RTE 100 every day and the old platforms seemed very solid. They did not shake or vibrate and they did not have any crack .
Okay, safety is always first. If you know something, enlighten the readers of this forum, please.
Also this replacement work has been going on for over a month. They are replacing a platform, not building the world trade center.
I do however ride with construction and engineering professionals who live near me and they opine that this project is too much, too long and probably too expensive the way it is being done (without commenting on the necessity of same).
Thank you
He's not an engineer, but he is in a position to have access to more information than you!

;-)
  by Patrick Boylan

Clearfield, I don't see where Septa Fan said he knew the platforms didn't need to be replaced. It sure seems he's asking why do they need to be replaced.
If you know why could you tell us?

nomis, I don't see where the link you give talks about any platform construction other than Ardmore Ave. What does it have to do with 69th St construction?
  by nomis

I may be meshing what i read on here with what i read on philly traction ... but alas, it is for the US OPen ...
  by Septa Fan

scotty269 wrote:
Septa Fan wrote:

Thank you
He's not an engineer, but he is in a position to have access to more information than you!

;-)
Noomis
Can you help us all out here ?
Is the platform replacement project a safety issue, a US open issue or a featherbedding issue ?
I value your answer, if you are in a position to have access to more information than Clearfield, whom I greatly respect.
Thank you
Septa Fan
  by Clearfield

Isn't anyone more concerned with the closure of the NHSL bridge to Norristown this summer?

It will be closing indefinitely making Bridgeport the terminus until funds are found to repair or replace structure which is over 100 years old.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... lkill.html
  by x-press

As of last winter I noticed that the platforms had temporary supports placed under them, so it's doubtful they were structurally "solid"
  by Trails to Rails

Clearfield wrote:Isn't anyone more concerned with the closure of the NHSL bridge to Norristown this summer?

It will be closing indefinitely making Bridgeport the terminus until funds are found to repair or replace structure which is over 100 years old.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/break ... lkill.html
That's a no brainer...24,000 riders a day use the bridge; create a $1 fare zone from just beyond the bridge to Norristown and they could raise the first 3 million for tie replacement in less than a year. Just call it a TOLL and folks will accept it. ;)
  by Volanova

I've been taking the NHSL/MFL combo to Center City lately, and I have also been wondering about the progress and necessity of these rebuilds.

One thing that makes me wonder more, though, was this: Why do they need so many platforms, anyway? Even with the current one being out of commission, there doesn't ever seem to be any delays, and they don't seem to be running anywhere near capacity. This is a mere layman's observation though, please correct me if they are, in fact, at or above capacity with the current number of in-use platforms.
  by ralphy

The platforms are/were in bad shape, if you see them from underneath you will understand. Access to the site is difficult, SEPTA only allows a small window when NHSL trains aren't running (between 3am and 4am) to bring material in and out via high rail, and with the canopies in place use of a crane from the bus loop does not provide much help. SEPTA requires all 4 tracks be available during the day, which further limits ability to perform the work. Southern platform requires new drilled foundations which will be difficult to install with the limitations of contact rail in place, canopies and keeping track in service during the day. There is no drill rig that can get in that space to do the drilled piers required. Northernmost platform will be extended as well. The work isn't difficult, access with the limitations are, that's why it takes the time it does. It's a year long $2.5 million contract.
  by Clearfield

Volanova wrote:One thing that makes me wonder more, though, was this: Why do they need so many platforms, anyway?
The most likely expansion of the BHSL (Bridgeport High Speed Line as it will become this summer) is to King of Prussia which will require more slots, and the rest of the N5 fleet (which it was originally purchased for anyway.)
  by JeffK

Volanova wrote:One thing that makes me wonder more, though, was this: Why do they need so many platforms, anyway?
Headways are tight at peak times. They can conceivably have two trains incoming and two outgoing within a few minutes. Usually at least one a single car but it still makes for a closely-choreographed dance.
Clearfield wrote:The most likely expansion of the BHSL (Bridgeport High Speed Line as it will become this summer) is to King of Prussia which will require more slots, and the rest of the N5 fleet (which it was originally purchased for anyway.)
The K of P extension remains at the top of SEPTA's list for service expansion IF purse strings ever open up in Harrisburg/DC. My naive take is that if they have funding now to rebuild the platforms, it seems politically expedient to do so. Unfortunately in the current climate the N5's may come up for replacement before they ever carry a passenger to the malls.