• New Ticket Collection Policy?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by andegold

On this morning's ride in the conductor made an announcement that there would be policy changes to ticket collection procedures effective April 1 and that we should check with Customer Service for more details. I cannot find anything on the NJT website or the web in general. Does anyone here have more information?
  by srock1028

What train was this on??
  by andegold

It was a morning express out of Trenton, what's the difference?
Last edited by andegold on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by sixty-six

andegold wrote:xxxx
Perhaps you should keep in mind the forum rules before posting this information:

"Talking directly about the rear brake on Train 38XX on this date and time would not be allowed. If you feel you must talk about a certain event on a train or whatnot, please present the information an anonymous matter."

Edited by nick11a
  by andegold

Edited my response for protection of the crew. However, this was hardly a complaint about the crew and not something the crew did wrong. An announcement was made. It suggested going to customer service for further information. I asked here if anyone had that further information. Does anyone have any further information?
  by Uzi-Cat

andegold wrote: It suggested going to customer service for further information. I asked here if anyone had that further information. Does anyone have any further information?
Does this look like customer service! If you have been on this forum for any length of time you should know that this is the last place to come for answers to important questions. As such, here is another EMU photo for Nick.

by srock1028

andegold wrote:It was a morning express out of Trenton, what's the difference?
Wondering if it was maybe a Hoboken Division train where Metro North might be changing something, relax. And no, I havent heard of any changes just yet.
Nice EMU picture...new lineups out of Morrisville!
  by andegold

Maybe I should rephrase the question. While on a morning express (or was it a local?) out of Trenton on the way to Suffern yesterday my train hit an emu at a crosswalk. During the fifteen hour delay that followed other passengers mentioned that there were changes coming to how tickets would be collected or sold in the coming weeks. I'm not really sure what they were talking about because I was a little woozy from dehydration because NJT didn't have the foresight to stock the train with bottled water which the crew could have dispensed to the passengers. Does anyone know what these other people on the train might have been talking about?
  by Passaic River Rat

Velociraptors will now be used as ticket collectors.
andegold wrote:Maybe I should rephrase the question. While on a morning express (or was it a local?) out of Trenton on the way to Suffern yesterday my train hit an emu at a crosswalk. During the fifteen hour delay that followed other passengers mentioned that there were changes coming to how tickets would be collected or sold in the coming weeks. I'm not really sure what they were talking about because I was a little woozy from dehydration because NJT didn't have the foresight to stock the train with bottled water which the crew could have dispensed to the passengers. Does anyone know what these other people on the train might have been talking about?
  by mcmannors

The only thing I am aware of is that on MARCH 1st (not April 1st, as previously stated), they want the on board surcharge to be charged at every station and in EITHER DIRECTION. Even at locations where there are TVM's on only one side, and the surcharge was waived on the other side until now. I don't think that affects the Northeast Corridor, since I believe there are TVM's on both sides at every station over there...
  by andegold

Thanks McMannors, I think there might have been mention of the policy relating to the on board surcharge but I couldn't really hear and I couldn't find anything on the NJT website.

Velociraptors would be good ticket collectors as we know from the movies that they would be able to handle the vestibule doors on Arrows and Comet Is. I wonder if emus can be trained to handle those doors or if they would be restricted to cars with push button doors.
  by 25Hz

More importantly they'd keep the pax in order.
  by Patrick Boylan

I don't believe the emus are supposed to be on board personnel. I thought they were self propelled passenger vehicles, hence the acronym Efficient Mobile Undercarriage, and the related versions Dashing Mobile Undercarriage.
  by Uzi-Cat

Cruiser sent me another photo from his retreat. He just left San Francisco and is on his way back east. He is riding all the way back home bareback on a big emu.
  by R36 Combine Coach

mcmannors wrote:The only thing I am aware of is that on MARCH 1st (not April 1st, as previously stated), they want the on board surcharge to be charged at every station and in EITHER DIRECTION. Even at locations where there are TVM's on only one side, and the surcharge was waived on the other side until now. I don't think that affects the Northeast Corridor, since I believe there are TVM's on both sides at every station over there...
Since all stations now have TVMs, it could be easier to have a voluntary (self-enforced) "honor" system. NJT Light Rail already does so and does some other commuter lines.