• New spur in New Hyde Park

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Steamboat Willie

Sounds like this knuclehead is some sort of wannabe Project Manager. Did you happen to draw your blueprints at iHop with crayons?
  by LRail

Looks like the switch is all ready to go. Any ideas when it will be serviced? -Lee
  by workextra

No not really. I was just thinking in advance, It's something that is not looked down upon outside of the railroad (Especially here)
I was looking in advance now so when they do this dream project of theirs, it's not an "oh shit! we should have done this"
Looking in advance saves on cost and on mistakes and is more environmentally friendly then not doing so at all.

And yes the siding looks good and when will they be receiving cars.
  by vin5581

The track is put in place for the unloading of Bio fuel. The oil terminal that is along the tracks is going to mix the biofuel with diesel. Besides the large green tank that can be seen next to the right of way, there is an underground storage tank on the site that is unseen to passerbys, but I am not sure how much bio fuel it can hold. The first rack of the oil terminal is for bio- Diesel and curently tractor trailers deliver the product. I know the terminal because my friend parks his oil trucks there.
  by The Tenth Legion

Did they approach the NYA about rail service, or did NYA make a pitch to them? Did they obtain NYS or federal grant money to construct their spur, or did they pay for it out of pocket? What's the configuration of the spur and how many tankcars can it hold? Thanks.
  by phantom

we'll need the "old school" RS50 for this move, I can't wait! Coach, Jay!? You out there?
  by jayrmli

I'm out there, but I'm finished with that move. Good luck to the lucky crew assigned with that one.

Jay
  by UN Block

Hmmm, my first post on NY&A. This customer received their first two tank cars yesterday, practically hours after the MofW guys finished making the lead track to it accessible. The siding is short, only about two cars long. For those who haven't seen my post in the LIRR area, this siding used to be Royal Petroleum but the switch was pulled in 1944, at least according to the Bob Emery maps. It was originally installed in, IIRC, 1928 or so.
  by badneighbor

I'm sure the new siding will be on the channel 11 ten oclock news... once the neighbors make their calls
  by jayrmli

I'm sure the new siding will be on the channel 11 ten oclock news
It might be if the crossing gates are left down for too long.

Jay
  by wasKFC

Any attempt at switching on the main- and any hope of good service- is DOOMED unless the train can get in the clear. That means an electric lock swith that works as intended or a train order, both of which don't seem to apply there. Rotsa Ruck!
  by UN Block

Well, I dunno if it works as intended but the switch off the main to this new siding is equipped with an electric lock. If it doesn't work as intended, that's a maintenance issue, no?
  by ex-tc driver

by the look of it that company can be switched off the siding without holding the main so NHP rd. wont be tied up long. The problem with that electric lock switch it has no window telling yo.u its open you must be patient for the rundown thats listed in the timetable. I believe there are only two like it Freeport team and hendricson bros. in babylon. The funny thing about electric lock switches if you hit the pedal to soon the timer resets.
  by The Tenth Legion

I know this post is about the new NYA customer in New Hyde Park, but the above post mentions spurs in Freeport and Babylon. Are these active NYA customers? What are the configurations of the spurs? Thanks in advance.
  by jayrmli

The issues with the switches at NHP and Freeport is for some reason if you went in the clear there, the tower wasn't able to verify this on the board. This would result in train orders having to be issued. There was one instance at NHP a few years back where a freight went in the siding with the whole train, holding the main, and a westbound was given a signal behind them. I'm not sure what aspect that train received, but if it wasn't for the quick thinking from a brakeman that was standing at the switch, that switch would have been run through.

When we used to switch Chesler Plywood, there was a good slot to switch them at night where you could hold the main. At that time, there was no rundown on the lock - it opened right away! Again, things may be different now. Yes, TC driver is correct that if you hit the pedal, you reset the timer.

Jay