• New London Station Pedestrian Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

The EGE wrote:OSB is in the middle of some tangent track; Acelas can pass at 110mph. New London's top speed is 25mph for passing due to the curve. So a bridge at Old Saybrook (constructed 2001) was a necessity, while New London would merely be convenient. I repeat, though, that such a bridge would be a very good idea. That is particularly true if more SLE trains get extended to New London as per the SLE master plan; in that case, some may start laying over on the third track at the station.
Ahh! Good points of comparison, Edge. Thanks.
  by SRAlloway

I remember that bridge as a child in the 50s and early sixties. My birthday gift as a kid was to "go to New York" which my mother acceded to for a day trip on Sundays. I always wanted to cross that walkway but never did. Left New London in 1968 but never forgot Union Station and my fond memories of the NH railroad. Years later I was a daily commuter from Philadelphia to Penn Station on Amtrak for three years. My fondest memory is a crowded train when the conductor couldn't get to the door and tossed me the keys and said. "Open us up. You know the drill." And I got to unlock the doors for the passengers. At 51, it was like being a trainman for the first time.
  by ebtmikado

In the news this week, the Coast Guard Museum is a go, and a footbridge will be built.

FPCH/CHFP operate between Cedar Hill (New Haven area) and Fresh Pond (New York).
They do not operate anywhere near New London.

Lee Carlson