• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by PRSL1972

rule of thumb 1 railroad mile= 1 million dollars. this is on new construction. if it is true that the county took out the crossing devicies, they should hire a contractor to re install them.

by CJPat

If track were truly to be re-installed, I would assume that since this a private ROW, it will be the responsibility of the owner (Hansen?) to pay for the complete replacement and signalization of the grade crossing, as well as the bridge in Lakehurst. And if the town or county want crossing gates and all the bells and whistles, the ROW owner would have to agree to install them.

by glennk419

It's not always necessarily the railroad's responsibility. Grade crossing protection or improvements are routinely funded by local, state and/or federal sources or grants. If the existing protection was removed for a certain municipality's "convenience", they bear some responsibility if it ever needs to be restored. Private or not, especially if they are dealing with interchange service, I would think there is some DOT or FRA oversight.

by SemperFidelis

I don't think Hanson Materials owns Clayton Sand. Hanson has its own sand and gravel division (much of it located in South Jersey).

by CRRNJ878

anyone see/hear anything else down on the old cnj?
  by baju

I just wanted to add that during the past year brush was cleared on the segment of railroad between Winslow and Vineland(all grown back again) and also on the Robinsville branch. No trains are running on either line and the Robinsville branch is being removed??? Mabe the Sand Co. sold the property and they want to remove the rail like the Robinsville branch.
I dont think they would have to file for abandonement would they?

by blockline4180

You know, I was just thinking of what else could be going on down there... Did anyone think that someone is possibly clearing the ROW for some tourist or dinner train operations?? This could be possible as someone told me a few years back that they wanted to run tourist trains out of Winslow Junction. Maybe it won't be out of Winslow initially, but the possibility from Whiting to Lakehurst may exist for some type of passenger operation.. If anyone can find out more please do post!

Thanks,
SMP

by wolfboy8171981

Went down to check it out Monday. Looks pretty cool to see some tracks in the middle of the pines with no trees in the ROW.

These guys doing the job know what there doing going out as far as the six foot. I was surprised that they "missed" a spot for about a 1/4 mile north of the crossing at Pasadena Rd. They also seemed to stop about a 1/4 south of where the ROW crosses Rt539. I Couldnt tell if they had cleared some trees north of the crossing of Rt539 toward Whitings.

I havent heard anything about this at work, but they're doing a good job at clearing a row of 18 years of growth

by PRSL1972

I might have a clue what is going on there. I have a news article from the Hammonton News dated January 14, 1999 and it stated theat the SRNJ was interested in doing rehab work from winslow to woodmansie. Also according to the article it broke down who owned what portions of the line. The SRNJ also met with the dot reguarding the line. WW also would have benefitted with the true north south connection as well. When this article was written the transportation trust fund was flat broke. Could this be the start of the rebirth of the CNJ Line? Lets hope so!!!!

by blockline4180

PRSL1972 wrote:I might have a clue what is going on there. I have a news article from the Hammonton News dated January 14, 1999 and it stated theat the SRNJ was interested in doing rehab work from winslow to woodmansie. Also according to the article it broke down who owned what portions of the line. The SRNJ also met with the dot reguarding the line. WW also would have benefitted with the true north south connection as well. When this article was written the transportation trust fund was flat broke. Could this be the start of the rebirth of the CNJ Line? Lets hope so!!!!

Thanks, please keep us updated if you hear anything! :- :-D

by CRRNJ878

PRSL1972 wrote:I might have a clue what is going on there. I have a news article from the Hammonton News dated January 14, 1999 and it stated theat the SRNJ was interested in doing rehab work from winslow to woodmansie. Also according to the article it broke down who owned what portions of the line. The SRNJ also met with the dot reguarding the line. WW also would have benefitted with the true north south connection as well. When this article was written the transportation trust fund was flat broke. Could this be the start of the rebirth of the CNJ Line? Lets hope so!!!!
I would imagine that would take significant investment by the State to rehab that length from Winslow to Woodmansie? I'd think it would be too much for SRNJ to handle financially by itself. Would that North/South connection provide better service/savings to SRNJ and WW vs. coming through Camden? I'd imagine so?

by wolfboy8171981

I'm not sure where the cars for the W&W and SRNJ come from and go to, but unless they get overhead trackage rights over the Beesleys and Vineland Sec directly into Paviona there not going to get Better service Via the CNJ to Lakeurst/Browns/Oak Island, that would ADD time not take time away for the cars over all transit time.

by rrbluesman

It used to be that the SRNJ served the Secondary south of Winslow to Vineland until the bridge failed. The last I wa aware, the bridge had been fixed, but improperly fixed and required further work. Does anyone know of the status of the bridge south of Winslow? In any case, I can see potential advantages of SRNJ serving to Woomansie or further north to make a connection to run trains south to Winslow and Vineland. Of course, the SRNJ just added a second track along the former Reading in Winslow as well, with intentions of rebuilind the wye connecting to the Secondary so there is a southbound connection and northbound connection coming down off of Mary's Wye, instead of the stub remnants of the wye. I am sure this will make the famers unhappy north of Winslow up Spring Road and Fleming Pike who have farmed over the ROW.

by wolfboy8171981

While i'm all for reactivation of the CNJ, I do not see any advantages for the SRNJ to connect to Woodmancie.

by PRSL1972

The bridge south of winslow is fixed and back in service. The srnj has ran some test trains to vineland to check out the row and to see how much brush needs to be cleared. Cars for the srnj are coming out of camden and I do not see conrail giving rights to let the srnj move freight. Only moves that conrail will let the srnj do is an occasional equipment move from winslow to camden then to the salem branch. This is where the 102 and the 1801 are know.