• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blockline4180

bmwr12 wrote:I still believe that the reactivation could still happen but if there are no further signs of it by the end of the year I will start to think otherwise. They have cleared the line in October of 05 and 09 so they should be clearing it again this fall? Lakehurst is a pile of weeds and overgrowth right now and looks terrible. I am keeping my fingers crossed they get the funding.

If reactivation never happens, especially with all the grade crossing and concrete slab replacements south of Lakehurst, then I'm sure the governor would be very angry with all the waste of spending taxpayer dollars for this project....Also I'm sure NJDOT Commissioner Simpson knows all about the grade crossing rehabs going on.... If nothing is coming, then they should have just paved over the tracks rather then waste all the money on this!!!!
  by Jtgshu

blockline4180 wrote:
bmwr12 wrote:I still believe that the reactivation could still happen but if there are no further signs of it by the end of the year I will start to think otherwise. They have cleared the line in October of 05 and 09 so they should be clearing it again this fall? Lakehurst is a pile of weeds and overgrowth right now and looks terrible. I am keeping my fingers crossed they get the funding.

If reactivation never happens, especially with all the grade crossing and concrete slab replacements south of Lakehurst, then I'm sure the governor would be very angry with all the waste of spending taxpayer dollars for this project....Also I'm sure NJDOT Commissioner Simpson knows all about the grade crossing rehabs going on.... If nothing is coming, then they should have just paved over the tracks rather then waste all the money on this!!!!
Its less $$$ than the 24 or so million its going to cost to have the special elections for Senator so he can keep a huge margin of victory over Ms Bruno and put that feather in his cap, so I don't really want to hear the Gov complaining about wasting money.......
  by blockline4180

Jtgshu wrote:I
Its less $$$ than the 24 or so million its going to cost to have the special elections for Senator so he can keep a huge margin of victory over Ms Bruno and put that feather in his cap, so I don't really want to hear the Gov complaining about wasting money.......
I agree, but was that really all necessary ???? I guess I opened up that can of worms!! Sorrrrrrrrry!!! LOL
  by Schmatzy

Gents. Thanks for the nice compliment to my construction update.

I wanted you all to see it as it "just" happened. Again though we all have to wonder since after the crossing was made safe for vehicles, Track Builders took their Johnny on the Spot and left....with the north and south approaches on the rail line hanging in midair! I assume they will be back.

On all the questions about when and if this ROW returns to active use, I have to believe thats a sure thing. Yeah its obviously taxpayer money being spent, and yeah once Clayton reminded the County that they paved over his railroad in 2010 now fix it and the elaborate signalization at Lacey and Wranglebrook, this is NOT as was said a TIGER Works Progress Adminstration Project.

You want to see that go to Fieldsboro by Bordentown, famous for their one man police force ticket blizter who preys on unsuspecting left turns off of Burlington Path. They now have a walkway, as elaborate as you could ever imagine so the folks there can walk to the River Line station in Bordentown two miles away!

I am all for Public Transit but that is ridiculous!

Now our project has a lot more players and lot more intrigue. Some of it just makes you scratch your head and you wonder if the project mochers don't get a little kick out of reading these posts, in the way of let see what the rubes make of this!
Yes if the grass gets any taller around Lakehurst you could make hay bales, and that once state of the art refuler on the siding make be rusting through but in the past six months or so every crossing from Lakehurst to the pit has been upgraded for the possibility of motive power using it. State of the art signalization installed where warranted and more as in the case of Diamond road as required.

This is make work...in the sense that Clayton and Macrie will make it work for whatever purely profit driven motives they have. Macrie though, because of his exisitng business I think has a bigger play in mind. Maybe Clayton has a piece of that too since its obvious they are positioning themselves for an upturn in the construction economy.

The thing of it is though, it secures the viability of a ROW that could have well ended up like the Tuckerton RR or the PRR Atlantic Division ROW. The Tuckerton and the CNJ Barnegat line were doomed from the start, service to nowhere. JCP &L and less so NJ Resources less so for their pipeline under the Barnegat Branch rail tral are the greatest protectors of former ROWS in the state.

Here there is product and connections both at the current "railhead" and points north. Let them ship all the aggregates they can, since active use will only spur renewed interest in south central jersey transit alternatives that a 24 lane Turnpike will never solve for NJ residents not transients.
  by bmwr12

Does anyone have any pictures of the Ashland trains running out of Woodmansie to Lakehurst?
  by Ken W2KB

Trainlawyer wrote:http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 234553.pdf

Food for thought:
Even tough Mr Hefner has represented Mr Macrie in the past, Seashore Lines is mentioned only in the oblique in the Clayton Sand portion of the filing and is not a party, even though they are in exactly the same legal position vis-a-vis their legal authority to operate as an exempt common carrier over Claton's track as Pan Am/Boston and Maine is over Tighe's track.
Bear in mind that Clayton benefits from a favorable outcome even a train never runs to the pit and that as, despite their common carrier authority, Seashore Lines is not operating, they do not have a separate stake in the matter.
GME
Quite interesting to see the reference in the pleading to the NJ Pinelands Commission which tends to act as if it has regulatory authority over all aspects of everything within its territory, including interstate transportation facilities for natural gas and electric power which are extensively regulated as to transportation rates, reliability and service by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and in the case of gas transmission safety by USDOT. Easy to understand Clayton's concerns in that regard.
  by BigDell

Is there a simple explanation as to where this is all leading? It's quite the saga but seems very vague...
  by Matt Johnson

Personally I think it's part of a secret plan to bring ACES back via the route of the Blue Comet.
  by Dcell

"Personally I think it's part of a secret plan to bring ACES back via the route of the Blue Comet."

Doubtful, since the lounge cars have been sold.
  by Matt Johnson

Dcell wrote:"Personally I think it's part of a secret plan to bring ACES back via the route of the Blue Comet."

Doubtful, since the lounge cars have been sold.
To whom? The Pennsylvania DOT for luxury service to Scranton via the Lackawanna Cutoff?
  by rrbluesman

The Blue Comet cars at Winslow have been sold?
  by David

Oh Boy!!
  by CJPat

I swung out to Lakehurst, Whiting and Woodmansie since it had been a while since i had been there.

I was curious as to the construction behind the hardware store on Union St in Lakehurst. It is right ontop of where the engine house and turntable had been, adjacent to the tracks so many years ago. Although all that can be seen is the graded earth and stub ups of sewer and water, it strikes me as they might be putting in a couple of houses/townhouses in there, but that is more speculation since observation was scarce.

Whiting and the grade crossings, along with the County 539 crossing have already been described. I find it an interesting comparison of the lights and crossing barrier arms on the Wranglebrook Rd Crossing vs the Cross Bucks on Cnty 530.

I must be slipping in memory though. When I spun past the Clayton mine in Woodmansie, you can see the ROW northwards through the breech in the sand wall. I can't see any tracks though for the first couple hundred feet (my eyesight isn't what it used to be). It didn't look like the tracks were buried under the sand. And this doesn't look like anything new. So..When did they pull those few hundred feet of rail? Does it date back to when Clayton regraded that whole driveway area 20+ years ago?