• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

So with this crossing being rebuilt, there are no other crossings left to be rebuilt south of Lakehurst? there are no other major obstacles other than the rebuilding of the actual railroad itself? Not that that is a minor problem, but compared to covered/removed grade crossings, it is a minor problem! hahaha
  by scottso699

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Can't run a railroad if you don't have a locomotive...............
What if we all get out and push?
  by scottso699

They could always use this one --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  by ladder2

Scottso, you can't run anywhere since that switch was pulled back in February to go to the NJCL(?) . By the way its now 2 months
plus that your dad was going to see that Conrail maint supv. and get us an update on what happened to that switch.! We are still waiting!!
  by Schmatzy

Ok all you doubters. Railroad glory is just about to return to the fabled path of the Blue Comet. Now Clayton and Macrie could get excellent PR if they toted the Observation car up from Tuckahoe and plunked on the rear of the first sand train.

If pine trees didn't grow like weeds and you replaced about every tie from the the end of SJRR car storage, removed all that rolling stock, it would be a lead pipe cinch.

Or the first lumber train,( check a pervious post link) Invite all the politicians. The media. Park it at the ballfield near the old rail style clock at Lacey Road. Get the vintage car people out there. Have people dress in 40s style clothing. Call Lakehurst and have the blimp that says US navy fly overhead.

Oooops. Forgot this is Jersey what we don't regulate we indemnify out of reach.
  by scottso699

ladder2 wrote:Scottso, you can't run anywhere since that switch was pulled back in February to go to the NJCL(?) . By the way its now 2 months
plus that your dad was going to see that Conrail maint supv. and get us an update on what happened to that switch.! We are still waiting!!
Ha! Yeah... About that one... Where my dad was working - he got laid off so he doesn't see the guy anymore... totally sucks for him and us.

As for the problem with the switch - that could probably be cured in an afternoon.
  by OCtrainguy

If I heard a traffic report correctly on NJ 101.5 Route 539 will be closed for a couple days next week for "railroad crossing repair". And I do hope I heard that correctly.
  by bmwr12

OCtrainguy wrote:If I heard a traffic report correctly on NJ 101.5 Route 539 will be closed for a couple days next week for "railroad crossing repair". And I do hope I heard that correctly.

Yes you heard correctly. I think it will be closed for 4 days.
  by meeks

Railroad-crossing repair on Route 539
in Manchester Township will require road closure
Work expected to take six days

(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced a planned railroad crossing repair project that will require the temporary closure of Ocean County Road 539 in Manchester Township.
County Road 539 is scheduled to be closed to traffic in both directions from 7 a.m. on Monday, June 24 to around 7 a.m. on Saturday, June 29. The local detour will use Lacey Road, Lake Drive and Hegstrom Road/Monroe Avenue. All truck traffic will be detoured using Route 70 and Route 72. If the work is completed earlier, the roadway will be reopened accordingly.

In order to provide a safer and smoother railroad crossing in Manchester the freight rail contractor will replace the existing crossing currently buried in the asphalt roadway with a new concrete freight rail crossing and repave the asphalt approaches. This project is included within NJDOT’s railroad grade-crossing safety program which repairs, upgrades or removes approximately 30 crossings each year, statewide.

The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website http://www.511nj.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for construction updates and real-time travel information.
  by meeks

Railroad-crossing repair on Route 539
in Manchester Township will require road closure
Work expected to take six days

(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced a planned railroad crossing repair project that will require the temporary closure of Ocean County Road 539 in Manchester Township.
County Road 539 is scheduled to be closed to traffic in both directions from 7 a.m. on Monday, June 24 to around 7 a.m. on Saturday, June 29. The local detour will use Lacey Road, Lake Drive and Hegstrom Road/Monroe Avenue. All truck traffic will be detoured using Route 70 and Route 72. If the work is completed earlier, the roadway will be reopened accordingly.

In order to provide a safer and smoother railroad crossing in Manchester the freight rail contractor will replace the existing crossing currently buried in the asphalt roadway with a new concrete freight rail crossing and repave the asphalt approaches. This project is included within NJDOT’s railroad grade-crossing safety program which repairs, upgrades or removes approximately 30 crossings each year, statewide.

The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website http://www.511nj.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for construction updates and real-time travel information.
  by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the confirmation.

I have also found information on the grade crossing work: http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/AgendaDetail.aspx?Name=265
L-2 State Department of Transportation Initiation of Proceedings concerning the re-activation of rail service on the Clayton Sand Line and the Highway-Rail at-Grade Crossing of C.R. #539.
Rebuilding the Route 539 grade crossing was one of the main points I was looking for with respect to reactivation of rail service along this segment of track.
  by Jtgshu

luminous53 wrote:Looks like NJSL is still trying to get funding from the state. 1.6 million

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation// ... update.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also note above the NJSL line item - one in Conrail

3 Rehabilitation of Three Timber Bridges on the Southern Secondary $750,000.00