• New Diesels for MARC & VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by metraRI

Back in 2003, only the MP36 was available... Metra also probably won't go with the -C version, for whatever reason. For the most part the difference doesn't really matter, during off peak hours most trains are cut to 5 or 6 cars.
  by Tommy Meehan

The MARC newsletter and press releases refer to the MP36s as remanufactured locomotives. Does anyone know what locomotives they're starting with??
  by realtype

Tommy Meehan wrote:The MARC newsletter and press releases refer to the MP36s as remanufactured locomotives. Does anyone know what locomotives they're starting with??
They aren't remanufacturing anything; the locos will be brand new. That article was written very poorly and was full with many mistakes and self-contradictory statments. MARC can't afford to hire "real" editors for a train newsletter published 2-3 times a year, so the management staff writes it.
  by Tommy Meehan

So they will be totally new locomotives? Thanks.

Related, I wonder if they're keeping the GP39s because they might be cheaper to operate, better on fuel. Plus the new MPXpress locomotives will probably take over the heaviest schedules.

Guess we'll find out pretty soon.
  by realtype

VRE has now decided to purchase five locomotives instead of two, since it costs nearly $1mil. less per engine. This makes much more sense; if VRE only wanted two locos they should have purchased a used one.
  by metraRI

From what I understand, MPI uses some remanufactured parts, which is what the article probably meant.

When is the first VRE MP supposed to arrive?
  by realtype

metraRI wrote:From what I understand, MPI uses some remanufactured parts, which is what the article probably meant.

When is the first VRE MP supposed to arrive?
But most of the components are new, as opposed to the rebuilt MARC GP40WH-2's or GP39H-2's, so it still is a little misleading.

From the VRE website:
"In January 2008, Motive Power was awarded a contract to supply two new
locomotives to VRE, with an option for eighteen more. The Operations Board is
being asked to modify this order to five units at the October 2008 meeting.
However, these new locomotives are not projected to enter VRE service until
mid-2010. Additionally, since funding for the remainder of the option order is less
than certain, this top deck rebuild work must continue."

VRE's locomotive purchase was not part of an option like MARC's so that's why it will take more than a year longer for delivery, even though MARC/MTA placed their order a month or two later.
  by spvanhart

From what I have read from articles on MPI, the MPIXpress can be all new, some remanufactured parts, or a lot of remanufactured parts; it depends upon the individual customer's requirements. Personally, as someone who uses the MARC to commute every day, I hope Maryland's order uses all new parts.
  by Kaback9

spvanhart wrote:From what I have read from articles on MPI, the MPIXpress can be all new, some remanufactured parts, or a lot of remanufactured parts; it depends upon the individual customer's requirements. Personally, as someone who uses the MARC to commute every day, I hope Maryland's order uses all new parts.

Are these things going to be on the NEC? You guys should just order a dedicated fleet of electrics(MARC that is). On topic though are the VRE units going to sport a new paint scheme?
  by realtype

Kaback9 wrote:
spvanhart wrote:From what I have read from articles on MPI, the MPIXpress can be all new, some remanufactured parts, or a lot of remanufactured parts; it depends upon the individual customer's requirements. Personally, as someone who uses the MARC to commute every day, I hope Maryland's order uses all new parts.

Are these things going to be on the NEC? You guys should just order a dedicated fleet of electrics(MARC that is). On topic though are the VRE units going to sport a new paint scheme?
The new MPI's will replace the GP40's and will be used on all lines. We already have 10 electric locomotives (4 AEM-7's, 6 HHP-8's), and the Penn (NEC) Line only has 6 exclusive trainsets.

Re:

by Silverliner II

Jtgshu wrote:
mxdata wrote:But the PL42AC's produce some of the most interesting and entertaining stories of locomotive malfunctions (causes unknown) of any power operated in the industry. It is just incredible to get a few of their operating people together and listen to them talk about all the wierd things these locomotives do. Add in a few of the shop people to tell you about what it takes to do routine changeouts of onboard equipment when it needs servicing and you will hear a lot of use of the english language that is seldom applied to locomotives with such emotion. The PL42AC's are rapidly becoming a legend in their own time.
Wow, that is like the best post I have ever read - HAHAHHAHA - my luck with them has been good so far, but Ive only had a few encounters so far - but im sure my luck is running out with them!
Don't jinx yourself, now! lol
  by HokieNav

realtype wrote:
vreenthusiast01 wrote:Now that everyone knows that the new locomotives are coming, does anyone know when?

vre01
p.s - are the orders separate or are they a bundle job like the kawasakis?
I'm not sure when the VRE locos are coming, but the first MARC diesels should be arriving as early as November of this year (originally MARC had said Jan 09).
And yet here we are, 2/3s of the way through January with nary an MP in sight! Did this get killed off/delayed and I missed it?
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:
realtype wrote:
vreenthusiast01 wrote:Now that everyone knows that the new locomotives are coming, does anyone know when?

vre01
p.s - are the orders separate or are they a bundle job like the kawasakis?
I'm not sure when the VRE locos are coming, but the first MARC diesels should be arriving as early as November of this year (originally MARC had said Jan 09).
And yet here we are, 2/3s of the way through January with nary an MP in sight! Did this get killed off/delayed and I missed it?
Well, it definitely didn't get killed off. Most MTA reports had actually said the first part of '09. With the return of the AEM-7's and the VRE Kawasakis being put in service MARC is going to be pressed for space anyway. The first unit should probably be in service by the end of February.
  by davinp

From the CEO's Report for Jan. 2009:

The kick off meeting with Motive Power is scheduled for January 28th when the production
schedule for the first 5 locomotives will be established. These locomotives will be Tier‐2 and
will be delivered to VRE by December 2010. Locomotives delivered after January 2012 must be
Tier‐3.