• New Diesels for MARC & VRE

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

realtype wrote:Artist impression of new MARC loco:

I have no idea what MARC could possibly do with the GP40s. Hopefully they don't get rid of them at all. A lot of other Northeast commuter agencies are getting rid of their GP40s, including NJ Transit and the MBTA (which is also purchasing MP36/MP40 locos). VRE also awarded a contract to MPI for MP36/MP40 locomotives in February to replace their GP40s and GP39s.
Yes, extra stock around for the inevitable "breakdowns" would be nice. Would MARC ever consider running 2 locomotives on the head end to avoid the "stranded train" syndrome?

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I like the look of the new power, especially when you see it next to your acela avatar (much like they'll be parked at Union Station).

Completely off topic (since this was the first time I'd seen the latest On Your MARC), the ridership increase on the Penn Line is huge! I think that the winter/spring numbers will be even bigger as gas continues its spiral and the addition of some trains in February.

by realtype

HokieNav wrote:Yes, extra stock around for the inevitable "breakdowns" would be nice. Would MARC ever consider running 2 locomotives on the head end to avoid the "stranded train" syndrome?

I'm going to buck the trend and say that I like the look of the new power, especially when you see it next to your acela avatar (much like they'll be parked at Union Station).

Completely off topic (since this was the first time I'd seen the latest On Your MARC), the ridership increase on the Penn Line is huge! I think that the winter/spring numbers will be even bigger as gas continues its spiral and the addition of some trains in February.
MARC does currently operate trains occasionally with two locomotives, particularly on the Camden Line. However, I doubt MARC will ever regularly operate trains with two locomotives per train for backup purposes. Trains on the Camden Line often run with two locomotives, because Camden trains are used to shuttle locomotives between DC and Riverside Yard in Baltimore where CSX performs maintenance on MARC's diesels.

Its funny that you mention "inevitable 'breakdowns,'" because just yesterday the GP40 on my train to Germantown 'broke down' in Gaithersburg. The engineer managed to fix the problem (luckily for us, since that isn't always the case) after about 15min.

Ridership on all MARC lines is spiking. Its getting harder and harder to find seats on Brunswick Line trains. My usual 5:10 train to Frederick, is so packed that many riders are forced to stand--something unheard of on the Brunswick Line just a couple years ago.

by HokieNav

It is funny, I noticed a Camden Line train leaving Union Station yesterday afternoon on my way home with two locomotives on the head end, so it isn't unheard of. :) It would be nice to see them do this on the Brunswick Line too (sounds like it would have been helpful anyways).

I hear you on the space constraints, I got one of the last seats in Odenton on train 503 this morning, usually there are plenty of seats open all the way in.

by vreenthusiast01

I've seen double headed MARCs alot. Especially Camden trains. The yard and ops people have put two Reindeer on a car with only four single level coaches, and I see that at least once every time I'm at Union Station.

I imagine they have the 8,000hp HHP-8 locomotives pull the really long Penn trains, but do you really need two locomotives for four single level coaches? It seems like that's alot of dead weight (if it's not running) or a colossal waste of fuel for such a small train, unless it breaks down, then I guess it's nice to have, but that doesnt happen EVERY DAY, does it?

by HokieNav

Like realtype said, the double headed Camden line trains are usually to send the locomotive up to Baltimore for maintenance by CSX. I was thinking more about increased redundancy especially on the Brunswick line, which has longer trains and seems to break down a good bit (based on completely non-scienctific anecdotal impressions from a coworker that is a Brunswick Line regular). I would stand to reason (in my mind at least) that this wouldn't waste too much fuel (2 locomotives working at half power vice 1 working at full) and provide a help to on time numbers by not stranding a train.

You're right about the HHP-8's on the Penn Line, as this is the only MARC line that's electric..

by realtype

Yesterday while I was waiting @ Greenbelt Station for train 853 (to DC), train 846 passed through with two GP40s and 4 single level cars. At the same time 846 was passing through, 853 arrived also with 4 cars and two GP40s. My train from DC to Germantown on the Brunswick Line (893 to Frederick) used the same equipment as 853, but I'm not sure if they took one of the GP40s off.

by Robert Paniagua

MARC Newsletter wrote:MARC is replacing its existing fleet of GP40 diesels,
which are nearing the end of their service lives. The 19
locomotives, built between 1966 and 1971, originally cost
$1.7 million each. The new re-manufactured ones will
cost around $3.4 million each. The MTA expects to take
delivery of the first unit by early 2009 and receive one
each month until the order is completed.
Realtype, I know there the GP40s could go. Right here in Boston for the MBTA/MBCR, even though they will be the oldest in their fleet, even older than the GP40 MCs 1100s they have and the 1000-1017 Screamers they have, but since these GP40WHs were rebuilt not too long ago, the T may well take them and have ACSES installed so that they can run in the Southside especially the Providence Line since ACSES is needed for operations east of MP 79.0 (East Haven Interlocking on the Connecticut Shore Line NEC Route)

by realtype

Robert Paniagua wrote:Realtype, I know there the GP40s could go. Right here in Boston for the MBTA/MBCR, even though they will be the oldest in their fleet, even older than the GP40 MCs 1100s they have and the 1000-1017 Screamers they have, but since these GP40WHs were rebuilt not too long ago, the T may well take them and have ACSES installed so that they can run in the Southside especially the Providence Line since ACSES is needed for operations east of MP 79.0 (East Haven Interlocking on the Connecticut Shore Line NEC Route)
The MBTA's GP40MCs are actually nearly identical to MARC'S GP40WH-2s (the only commuter railroad GP40s to have 'safety cabs'), but I've heard that the MC units are plagued with problems. I think the MARC GP40s already have ACSES installed since they currently run on the NEC (DC-Baltimore-Perryville). The MBTA probably won't need the MARC locos however, since they are also purchasing new MP36/MP40 locomotives.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh I see, so I guess MARC may want to have a few of those GP40WH2s for a contingency fleet
  by vreenthusiast01

Now that everyone knows that the new locomotives are coming, does anyone know when?

vre01
p.s - are the orders separate or are they a bundle job like the kawasakis?
  by realtype

vreenthusiast01 wrote:Now that everyone knows that the new locomotives are coming, does anyone know when?

vre01
p.s - are the orders separate or are they a bundle job like the kawasakis?
I'm not sure when the VRE locos are coming, but the first MARC diesels should be arriving as early as November of this year (originally MARC had said Jan 09). You would think that MARC and VRE would bundle their order, but they didn't. Virtually all commuter locomotives being purchased right now are MPs; currently 11 commuter rail agencies have ordered or will order the MPXpress. Therefore the circumstances are different than when MARC purchased their Kawasakis and gave their option to VRE, since those were custom built to certain specifications. The MPs on the other hand are, more or less, mass produced so it would be unecessary for the two railroads to bundle their order, since the resulting cost savings would be minimal.
  by NortheastTrainMan

will the new MP36s be able to do 90 plus with 8 bi-levels on the Penn Line like the GP40 wide cabs could?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HbeAqw7wXJg&feature=related
  by realtype

NortheastTrainMan wrote:will the new MP36s be able to do 90 plus with 8 bi-levels on the Penn Line like the GP40 wide cabs could?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HbeAqw7wXJg&feature=related
The GP40s could only pull/push a max of 6 bi-levels, and could do so up to 100mph; All 7,8, and 9 car trains are powered by AEM-7s (the only one MARC currently has is 4903) or HHP-8s.

The new MP36s have seperate HEP generators and have 600 more horsepower than the GPs, so they should be able to handle 8 bi-levels at 100mph or higher.
  by metraRI

I don't know if MARC changed things up for their MP36's to get higher speeds, I know here on Metra where the max is 79.. MP36's have no problem getting to track speed with 10 car sets.
  by realtype

metraRI wrote:I don't know if MARC changed things up for their MP36's to get higher speeds, I know here on Metra where the max is 79.. MP36's have no problem getting to track speed with 10 car sets.
Metra operates the MP36PH-3S, MARC's order was for the MP36PH-3C. The 3C has a dedicated HEP generator, while the 3S uses its prime mover for head end power. When using full HEP (which I'm sure Metra's MP36s do when pulling those long 11-car consists) the 3S has only 2900hp available for traction power. The 3C always has 3600hp available, allowing for better acceleration and higher track speeds.

According to MotivePower the max speed for the MPXpress is 108mph. However that may be for the more powerful (4000hp) MP40PH-3C. I don't understand why Metra didn't get one of the more powerful models in the first place.

See: http://www.motivepower-wabtec.com/locom ... xpress.php
Last edited by realtype on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.