• Need help with this old photo. Cansastota, NY?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RussNelson

O-6-O wrote:Interesting map Russ but also very cinfusing. Shows some post LV Canastota PC alignment and also the line to Camden,

I followed the Shore east to Oneida and it doen't show a single siding let alone the fact it was double tracked or many years..

Interesting also that the Westshore to O&W connection is on there even though that was abandond in 1902.
Yeah, the guiding principle of OpenStreetMap is that you're supposed to map what's on the ground now. I stretch that a little bit by mapping the remains AND I map old lines in-between the visible remains. That's to give people context and to help them look for more remains. So, for example, I found a part of the Beebe line on the west side of town, so into OSM it went. But I don't know where it went west of Kimberly Drive, so that's not in OSM (yet).
  by RussNelson

BR&P wrote:The C&C never had motive power but did own a caboose, due to railfan ownership. There is a LV caboose displayed in Cazenovia which MAY have been the LV 95123 (my records conflict about that one). Does anyone know if that caboose used to belong to the C&C?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/russnelson/2880966360/ Seems to be the LV95123. Don't know about the ownersip.
  by roadster

What is the street address of the old station in Cazenovia?
  by BR&P

Russ, thanks for the photo. Sure LOOKS like 95123! I gathered my info from several different sources, one of which shows that there. The other note I have is that it became CR 18626, was burned at Clayton DE, and scrapped at Enola. Outside chance that it's renumbered from another LV caboose but there seems no point in doing that. Now....was that formerly the C&C's caboose?
  by RussNelson

BR&P wrote:Russ, thanks for the photo. Sure LOOKS like 95123! I gathered my info from several different sources, one of which shows that there. The other note I have is that it became CR 18626, was burned at Clayton DE, and scrapped at Enola. Outside chance that it's renumbered from another LV caboose but there seems no point in doing that. Now....was that formerly the C&C's caboose?
Oops! I looked more closely, and it's 95128, not 95123. Trick of the light.
roadster wrote:What is the street address of the old station in Cazenovia?
Gene Gissin Photography is located in the old station. His address is 25 William Street Cazenovia, NY 13035-1135
  by BR&P

95128 fits better with my records. Thanks!

Is the photography shop the owner, or just a tenant?

While getting a bit away from the original topic, I'll note that in 1962 that caboose (95128) worked trains FFW-1 and BJ-2 between Manchester and Buffalo, assigned to Conductor Kline.
  by roadster

Another item of notage with the caboose, is it's displayed paint sceme. The "Route of the Black Diamond" sceme was used up to the mid/ late 50's. When LV started to paint their cabooses in the "Safety" sceme around 1955. We hope that the person who repainted this caboose, did research and kept the correct number.
  by lvrr325

Caboose would make them a good office, or could be used as a caboose, during the time this line operated.

Good pictures of what this area looked like in the softbound "The Ups & Downs Of A Rural Line" by David Marcham which should still be readily available. As far as I know the LV used the NYC station, they had a freight station which stood either where the car wash is, or across the street from it, but that was it. That station was an oddball in that it had a tower in the middle of it.

That whole flat green area opposite where the caboose is was part of the yard. I think if you know where to look you can find the turntable pit still, there was a 2-stall roundhouse and water tower, but steam engines were fueled with a conveyor rather than a tower.
  by roadster

Just to clarify, there are 2 LV cabooses being mentioned in here. The one in Canastota at the Ice Cream/mini golf store just South of the current CSX mains, and a second one about 12 miles South in Cazenoiva by the former LV station which is now a photographers studio. Not dissing anyone, just clarifying. Again, thanks everyone for the info. and sorry bout getting a tad off subject.
  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Hello, glad to see that my photo has caught the attention of other local railroad history fans. I've been doing quite a bit of research lately on the Elmira, Cortland, & Northern branch of the LV. The line north of of Canastota (South Bay, Sylvan Beach, Sylvan Juntion, Vienna, McConnelsville, and Camden), was abandoned in August 1938 and I believe soon dismantled as all but South Bay and Vienna were already serviced by either the O & W or NYC. The line south of Canastota (Cottons, Cazenovia, Chittenango Falls etc. was abandoned in Dec. 1967, and I believe the tracks were removed in 1976?

http://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/14138

Scroll down to download a copy of Elmira, Cortland & Northern RR: 1867 to 1967 and On The Ups and Downs of A Rural Line. Courtesy of Cornell University

Here are a few photos of the LV bridge that crossed the Erie canal just west of the NYC ROW. Just right to the pictures, out of view is the LV coal trestle. The last photo is E,C, & N Lehigh Valley station at Cazenovia sometime in the 50's- Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by lvrr325

Per my copy of "Mr. Cornell's Railroad", the station in Canastota was union for both NYC and LV until 1931, after which the LV relocated passenger business to the frieght house. No source is noted, though.

I have some actual LV prints showing what they intended to abandon in 1938, including the line to the north.
  by pumpers

NYCUticaSyracuse81 wrote:
Here are a few photos of the LV bridge that crossed the Erie canal just west of the NYC ROW. Just right to the pictures, out of view is the LV coal trestle. The last photo is E,C, & N Lehigh Valley station at Cazenovia sometime in the 50's- Mike
All that grass growing in the ROW in the Cazenovia photo looks better than what I have in my front yard! JS