• NEC Transportation Plan-Proposed Track Configuration (1998)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

Hi.

I was going through some old files and I came across an old NEC plan. It was printed in 1998. The plan was drafted to craft a vision on how the NEC between New York and Washington should look in 2003 and 2015. There were also plans for the Washington-Richmond and Keystone corridors, but I don't have those anymore.

I forgot all about this vision. It has a lot of tidbits of information and bold ideas. A lot of them have been accomplished under the 2003 plan (Secaucus, Newark Airport,Cliff Interlocking to name a few.) As for the 2015 projections, it looks like most of them will fall by the wayside. Some of the projects were contingent on NJT, MARC and SEPTA getting involved and adding service, so these things might come to fruition one day.

This blueprint is 25 pages, so I''m not going to type the whole thing. I will answer questions if anyone has an interest.

In the meantime, I'll throw a few things out there.

NYP-NWK

The 2003 plan for Newark to New York included building Secaucus Jct, adding Allie, Erie and Lack interlockings as well as finishing the Kearny connection.

The 2015 plan for the same area called for the elimination Allied interlocking, moving Bergen Interlocking and making a third track form Bergen to Swift. All three tracks would swoop over a new Portal Bridge, 50 to 60 feet above water. Hudson Yard would have two new tracks for NJT which would run between 2 and 3.

NWK-MET

The 2003 plan for Newark to Metropark called for building EWR and the associated interlockings, installing concrete ties on A,B,1 and 4 tracks and raising track speed to 135 on 2&3 tracks between Elmora and Union.

2015 plan for Newark to Metropark (hold on to your hat NJT employees and prepare to laugh) included installing 60mph crossovers at Elmora, raising track speed from Lane-Elmora to 125mph while adding a 5th track and straightening Elmora's curve. From Elmora to Union, they planned to raise speed on 1 and 4 track to 135 and 110mph on A and B. Union was to be reconfigured and a new interlocking equipped with high speed crossovers at Colonia would be built. Menlo and Iselin would be eliminated because Metropark was going to have a center island platform!

MET-TRE

The 2003 plan really didn't add much. The only real plan was to add concrete ties on track 1 and 4,raise track speed on 2&3 to 135mph and build Hamilton train station.

The 2015 is bold and considers the projected needs of NJT. First, Lincoln interlocking is reduced from a complete interlocking to 0-1-2 only. Edison Interlocking is reconfigured with high speed crossovers and includes 3-2-1-0. A new Interlocking named Thomas is built east of New Brunswick for "in and out moves." County interlocking is removed, replaced by "Adams" interlocking, which is a complete interlocking equipped with high speed crossovers. Adams would also connect to the MOW base and a new NJT storage yard to the main line. A new train station named South Brunswick would be constructed just east of Deans. It would have center island platforms. If NJT built the MON-OC line, Midway Interlocking would remain. If not, Midway would be eliminated in favor of a restored Nassau Interlocking. Nassau would have high speed crossovers and straddle Princeton Jct train station.

If nothing else happens, I'd LOVE to see Nassau restored!

At Trenton, the North Low would become a high level platform, West Barracks would be restored for SEPTA storage and a 5th track would run to Hamilton.

Track speed from Edison to Trenton would be 135mph outside and 150mph inside because there would be constant tension catenary.

TRE-PHL

The 2003 plan didn't change much. The major items were installing concrete ties on tracks 1 and 4, raising track speed on 2&3 to 135mph from Morris to Shore. Speaking of Shore, the 2004 plan called for Shore to get 45 mph crossovers and add a passing siding for NJT trains.

The 2015 plan didn't add too much. It calls for making Grundy and Holmes interlockings complete, while adding 80 mph high speed crossovers. A new SEPTA train station named Bensalem would replace Cornwells Heights. It would have center island platforms and Amtrak trains would stop there. Shore Interlocking become a complete interlocking, but would have 45mph turnouts. Track speed on all tracks would be 135mph from Morris to Shore. From Shore to Mantua, 2&3 would rise to 100mph.

These are just some of the examples. If anyone is interested, I'll added the Philadelphia-Washington segment.
  by morris&essex4ever

I would like to see what was in store for the PHI-WAS segment
  by afiggatt

There are older NEC improvement plan documents available at the FRA website under Documents of Historical Interest at http://www.fra.dot.gov/rpd/passenger/1596.shtml. The documents of interest for the NEC are the:
- 1994 Northeast Corridor Transportation Plan - New York to Boston, Volumes 1 & 2
- several 1980s documents
- the 1978 NEC Improvement Project documents and reports.

The older documents are scanned images, so no text searches and some fuzzy images & text. The 1994 NYC to Boston document is interesting in light of what improvements were implemented, what are finally being done now (Niantic Bridge and other bridge replacements, constant tension catenary on the New Haven line), what projects are still in the plans and which projects that have been shelved.

As for the more recent 1998 WAS-NYP improvement plans, a summary of what projects were in the 2015 plans that have not been done would be interesting. How many of these remain in the 2010 NEC Master Infrastructure plan in one form or another? Which are not?
  by afiggatt

Follow-up question: what is the full title of the 1998 document? A google search with the right words may turn up a copy on-line somwhere.
  by ThirdRail7

morris&essex4ever wrote:I would like to see what was in store for the PHI-WAS segment
I will post it on Wednesday.

afiggatt wrote:Follow-up question: what is the full title of the 1998 document? A google search with the right words may turn up a copy on-line somwhere.
The full title is the Northeast Corridor Transportation Plan Proposed Track Configuration: Year 2003 Plan and Long Range Target Plan.

In the introduction, it mentions 2015 as the long range target plan.
  by NellieBly

I have a looseleaf binder called "NEC 2010 Plan" or something similar that I got from my clients in Delaware DOT in the mid-1990s. This document is regularly updated, and represents a configuration for the NEC agreed among all the various parties. I would guess they're now up to a "2025 Plan". Of course, how much actually happens depends on politics and funding, and also things do change over time.

But as far as I know, the Portal bridge replacement is funded and will be done. The only difference from what you describe is that while the new high-level three-track bridge will be constructed, the existing low-level double-track bridge will remain (corrections welcome).

The plan is still to reconfigure Metropark with island platforms. I don't know if this is funded yet.

Interlocking configurations seem to change all the time, so I don't know whether what you describe between Metropark and Trenton is still in the plan. Also, I don't know of any present plans to straigthen the S curve through Elizabeth.

The constant-tension catenary is funded, and that will permit Acela Express a max of 160 (not 150) between New Brunswick and Trenton.

The Cornwells Heights stuff is not going to happen. The park & ride station was built as part of the prep for a major reconstruction of I-95 that was later scaled down because of a shortage of money. So the big ramps off I-95 and the parking lot got built, but not the station. Amtrak stopped Keystone trains and Clockers there for a while, but gave that up several years ago. So as far as I'm aware, nothing more is going on with Cornwell's Heights. It's just a SEPTA stop with a really big parking lot.

I'm also not aware of any major changes planned at "Ford" or "Shore".

Down south of PHL, Delaware now has funding for extension of a third track from "Yard" to "Ragan" and reconfiguration of "Brandy" interlocking south of Wilmington station. This will give Amtrak three main tracks from Wilmington station all the way to "Bacon" in Maryland (right now there's a half mile of double track between Yard and Ragan). Longer term, Delaware would like a third track from "Holly" (south of Claymont) all the way into Wilmington, but that's not yet funded.

As for improvements south of Wilmington, the only thing I know of near-term (and there is funding for engineering work, but nothing more) is a new double-track tunnel south of Baltimore to supplement the B&P tunnels (which will remain) and extension of a fourth track from "Winans" to "Grove". BWI will be rebuilt with two island platforms. But again, I don't think that's fully funded yet.
  by afiggatt

NellieBly wrote:I have a looseleaf binder called "NEC 2010 Plan" or something similar that I got from my clients in Delaware DOT in the mid-1990s. This document is regularly updated, and represents a configuration for the NEC agreed among all the various parties. I would guess they're now up to a "2025 Plan". Of course, how much actually happens depends on politics and funding, and also things do change over time.

But as far as I know, the Portal bridge replacement is funded and will be done. The only difference from what you describe is that while the new high-level three-track bridge will be constructed, the existing low-level double-track bridge will remain (corrections welcome).
The Portal Bridge replacement is not funded. The final engineering design phase is funded, but the (north) bridge replacement is waiting on funding, AFAIK. Amtrak applied for $570 million for the bridge replacement last spring in the FL HSR funds re-allocation, but that application did not get selected.
NellieBly wrote: The plan is still to reconfigure Metropark with island platforms. I don't know if this is funded yet.
There is no mention of this in the 2010 NEC Infrastructure Master Plan document or track schematics, so a Metropark platform upgrade appears to have been dropped. Besides NJT recently completed a renovation of the station which suggest that the station will stay as it is for the next decade or two.
NellieBly wrote: The constant-tension catenary is funded, and that will permit Acela Express a max of 160 (not 150) between New Brunswick and Trenton.
The constant tension catenary is funded for the section from Trenton to New Brunswick. I expect Amtrak would like to upgrade more sections, if not the entire NYP-WAS corridor, to constant tension catenary, but they will upgrade what they can get funding for.
NellieBly wrote: As for improvements south of Wilmington, the only thing I know of near-term (and there is funding for engineering work, but nothing more) is a new double-track tunnel south of Baltimore to supplement the B&P tunnels (which will remain) and extension of a fourth track from "Winans" to "Grove". BWI will be rebuilt with two island platforms. But again, I don't think that's fully funded yet.
MD applied for upgrading BWI airport to 2 island platforms and 9 miles of 4th track last spring in the FL HSR funding re-allocations. The application was not selected, so it is not funded, but far enough along to be in the near term plans. The longer term plan is for a 4th track from Winans to Landover interlocking south of New Carrollton (to have 2 island platforms) to provide the capacity for expanded 7 day a week MARC service. With Maryland looking like it may pass a 15 cent gas tax increase, while most of the revenue would go to road projects, it would provide for more funding to MD DOT for MARC and transit projects. So MD may be able to contribute more for NEC upgrades for MARC, allowing some projects to advance.
  by MikeEspee

Amtrak doesn't stop at Cornwells anymore? I knew all that air I was grabbing on 640, 655 and 193 felt strange!
  by ThirdRail7

morris&essex4ever wrote:I would like to see what was in store for the PHI-WAS segment

We'll handle this part first.

I'm largely skipping the major terminals (NYP, PHL, WAS unless requested) as they are extremely in depth, so we'll skip to the south end of Philadelphia.

Phl-Wil

The 2003 plan called for the installation of concrete ties on all tracks between Phl and Wil, which was accomplished. The only other real plan was to build a high speed crossover at Holly. This would allow SEPTA trains going south to diverge from 4 to 3 st 60mph. This hasn't been accomplished.

The 2015 plan had a bit more on the plate. Anticipating an increase in SEPTA service, first plan is to reconfigure Phil interlocking and build a flyover for Septa trains. This would allow northbound Septa trains coming from Wilmington to cross over the NEC on the same bridge as the Airport line. This would increase operation fluidity in the area. A new southbound track would be constructed from Arsenal and join the NEC via a 60mph switch just north of Darby.

Baldwin interlocking would become a complete interlocking, with a pocket track for SEPTA turns. The Chester Viaduct would be replaced, and the undergrade bridges between Baldwin and Hook would be rehabbed to support 135 service on all tracks from Phil to Wilmington.

Hook to Wilmington station has interesting ideas. The plan is to get rid of 1f track and reconfigure Bell interlocking so the speed on 1 track can be raised to 110mph between Holly and Landlith. This is very interesting since the plan call for a 45mph speed restriction for the Holly duck under (it is currently 30mph.) Most routes at Holly interlocking would have high speed crossovers, and they want to extend track 4 to Landlith. Landlith itself would have 60mph crossovers.

From Landlith to Wilmington station, the Delaware Car company track would become a main track to Wilmington, eliminating the need for Wine Interlocking.

Wil to Bal

We'll break this up into Wilmington-Perryville and Perryville-Baltimore.

Wil-PVl

The 2003 plan didn't have a lot going on, but almost everything got accomplished. The plan called for a new SEPTA station at Churchman's Crossing with a new track from Davis to "Ogleton Interlocking" to support the service (the interlocking is named Ruthby.) 1 track from Bacon Interlocking to Ragan Interlocking was to receive concrete ties and the speed on 2&3 tracks between Ragan to Bacon would rise to 135mph.

The only thing that didn't get done is the plan to install concrete ties on 1 and 4 track between Prince and Perry.

Starting at Wilmington, the 2015 plan calls for a SEPTA yard at Yard interlocking. TWO additional tracks are to be added between Yard and Ragan for a total of 4 tracks (up from the current 2.) Ragan would tie all for tracks plus the Shellpot Secondary together and 4 tracks would run to Davis interlocking. The plan notes a 5th track might be needed depending on freight movement in the area once the Shellpot Branch is fully restored (which it has been.)

Davis would be reconfigured to allow entrance into the south end of Chrysler Yard.

From Davis, the current "A" track would receive upgrades for anticipated Marc and Septa train service. A new train station would be constructed at the Maryland and Delaware state line. 4 tracks would run to Bacon interlocking (up from 3.) At Bacon, we'd lose a track and 3 tracks would run to Prince (up from 2.)

Once again, this plan was based up MARC and SEPTA meeting in Newark Delaware.

I'll finish the rest in a little bit.
  by MikeEspee

Between Holly and Bell sounds like it was planned by someone who's never been over that portion of the railroad to see how useless the jumpover really is now. Keeping a 45mph permanent speed restriction on a high speed railroad is blasphemy. Rip out Holly, demolish that stupid jumpover and bring all 4 tracks south to a "new" Bell, moved north in the interest of increasing the NS's switching lead so they don't have to call for headroom to pull a long track. Make Bell complete, tie in the NS there. Presto, twice the usefullness, half the interlockings. OR be even cooler and just make Bell a single turnout off of the new track 1 for the NS.
  by ThirdRail7

For the record, I just spent 45 minutes typing the rest of the proposal. I hit enter, it said I had to log in again. I did, and the post disappeared.

I'm a tad bit annoyed.
  by ThirdRail7

PVL-BAL

Between Grace and Bush

The 2003 plan called for installing high speed crossovers at Grace and Bush interlockings, concrete ties for 3 track, and undercutting 3 and 4 tracks for high clearance freight moves. This has been completed.

The rest of the plan from PVL-BAl, involved 60mph crossovers for Gunpow Interlocking, concrete ties for "A" track from Gunpow to Bay, and raising track speed from Grace to Bay to 135 mph on 2&3 tracks. None of this has been completed.

The 2015 plan calls for high platforms for Perryville, Aberdeen and Edgewood stations, the removal of Wood Siding and high speed crossovers for the Magnolia siding. Oak interlocking would be eliminated in favor of an electric lock hand thrown switch from 2 tack to the old line. Bridges over the Susquehanna, Bush and Gunpowder rivers would be replaced while keeping their current 2 track configuration!

At Gunpow, "A" track become a 110mph track (up from 60) and Martin Airport train station would receive high level and center island platforms. A new interlocking named "Martin" would be built between "A" and 1 track just south of the station.

Further south, River and Point would be reconfigured with 60mpg turnouts. Just north of Bay, a new station named East Baltimore would rise. The station would have a center Island between "A" and 1 track and a high level platform for 3 track. 2 track would not have a platform. Canton interlocking would restored as a left handed interlocking to access the station. It would have 2 60mph turnouts and 1 45 mph turnout.

Track speed from Bay to Biddle appears to remain the same. The note says and I quote: "Possible future mainline track realignment (for increased speed.)

Bal to Was

Even in 1998, the planners new what a congested mess the railroad is between Baltimore and Washington. The 2003 plan attempts to address a lot of this.

First, Fulton interlocking is eliminated in favor of a reconfigured Bridge interlocking.

Next, a new interlocking and wye named "Clare" would be constructed at Loudon Park. The intent is to feed a connection to Camden Station and yard facility (I'm guessing Riverside.) The south leg of the wye/connection would access all four main line tracks of the NEC. The north leg of the wye/connection would access "A" track and 1 track on the NEC. Winans interlocking would remain in place, so 3 tracks would run to BWI.

As for BWI, the 2003 called for 3 different plans. Plan "A" is the likely plan. It involves cut and throwing one track around the existing north platform at BWI, resulting in a center island platform for 2 and 3 track. South of BWI, a new interlocking named "Harmon" would be constructed just north of Baltimore Commons. It would have high speed crossovers to access the stations. Grove would be eliminated.

Plan "B" is better plan, but probably more expensive. It is the same as above, except an additional track runs between BWI and Harmon. At BWI a new platform is constructed for 1 track, the new track (old !) is cut and thrown around the exisiting platform with two track on the other side. 3 track remains the same. North of Bwi, the new track merges back into one.

In other words: BWI would have 4 tracks served by 3 high level platforms.

Plan "C" is the same as Plan "B" except the new track stub ends at BWI station and would serve as a MARC turn track.

The good thing about Plan B and C is the infrastructure is set up for future 4 track main line operation through the area.

The rest of the 2003 plan called for concrete ties on 1 track between Baltimore and New Carrollton and a new crossover at Carroll Interlocking between 2&3 tracks.

The 2015 plan assumes the 2003 plan was completed and adds on to it.

At Baltimore, it calls for 5 station track to join the NEC north (currently it stub ends,) and high level platforms for 3 track. New B&P tunnels are constructed and the exisiting tunnel is converted into a single track tunnel. This will give you three tracks under the city.

After the tracks emerge from the tunnels, 4 tracks will form at Bridge with a flyover. Winans interlocking is elimated, so you have 4 tracks to Harmon interlocking. At Harmon, 4 tracks are reduced to 3 UNLESS a new station at Severn (Mp 110.2) is built. If built, 4 tracks will from Harmon, and Odenton train station will be reconfigured.

In either case, the tracks will run to a new interlocked named "Hanson," at mp 118.4. Hanson will have 80 mph crossovers, and will replace Bowie as a complete interlocking (Bowie will remain an interlocking and wye on "1" track only.) 4 tracks will run from Hanson to Landover, which will result in the reconfiguration of Bowie State, Seabrook and New Carrollton stations as well as the elimination of Carroll interlocking.

At Landover, 4 tracks will drop to 2 for the Magruder Branch to Washington. The plan recognizes an additional track is needed to Washington, but a new bridge over the Anacostia must be constructed first.

That's the gist of the plan. There are plenty of additional details (signal eliminations, catenary relocations etc.) However, you get the basic idea.

I'll editorialize later.
  by Amtrak67 of America

MikeEspee wrote:Amtrak doesn't stop at Cornwells anymore? I knew all that air I was grabbing on 640, 655 and 193 felt strange!
Lets not forget train 110.
  by afiggatt

ThirdRail7 wrote:For the record, I just spent 45 minutes typing the rest of the proposal. I hit enter, it said I had to log in again. I did, and the post disappeared.

I'm a tad bit annoyed.
Ouch. I have encountered the same problem. Sometimes I get logged out while working on a long post. The solution is to copy and paste the post to a work processing app. If you use Windows, highlight the post and hit Ctrl-C to copy it, then paste it into Wordpad or something something similar. Or write the draft post in a word processing app first and then paste it into the reply box. Make sure you have a copy before you try to post it in case you hit a glitch and lose the post. Helps to keep the blood pressure down.
  by afiggatt

ThirdRail7 wrote: Between Grace and Bush

The 2003 plan called for installing high speed crossovers at Grace and Bush interlockings, concrete ties for 3 track, and undercutting 3 and 4 tracks for high clearance freight moves. This has been completed.

The rest of the plan from PVL-BAl, involved 60mph crossovers for Gunpow Interlocking, concrete ties for "A" track from Gunpow to Bay, and raising track speed from Grace to Bay to 135 mph on 2&3 tracks. None of this has been completed.

The 2015 plan calls for high platforms for Perryville, Aberdeen and Edgewood stations, the removal of Wood Siding and high speed crossovers for the Magnolia siding. Oak interlocking would be eliminated in favor of an electric lock hand thrown switch from 2 tack to the old line. Bridges over the Susquehanna, Bush and Gunpowder rivers would be replaced while keeping their current 2 track configuration!
Raising the track speed from Grace to Bay to 135 mph would markedly extend the miles of >125 mph running for the Acela between BAL and WIL. I expect that cost and technical issues are the reason it has not happened?

The plan for the Susquehanna, Bush, and Gunpowder bridge replacements has clearly changed. In the 2010 NEC Master Plan, the question is whether to go with 3 or 4 track bridges. The growth of MARC and MD plans for 7 day a week MARC service appear to be the major drivers in increasing track capacity in this section.
ThirdRail7 wrote: As for BWI, the 2003 called for 3 different plans. Plan "A" is the likely plan. It involves cut and throwing one track around the existing north platform at BWI, resulting in a center island platform for 2 and 3 track. South of BWI, a new interlocking named "Harmon" would be constructed just north of Baltimore Commons. It would have high speed crossovers to access the stations. Grove would be eliminated.

Plan "B" is better plan, but probably more expensive. It is the same as above, except an additional track runs between BWI and Harmon. At BWI a new platform is constructed for 1 track, the new track (old !) is cut and thrown around the exisiting platform with two track on the other side. 3 track remains the same. North of Bwi, the new track merges back into one.

In other words: BWI would have 4 tracks served by 3 high level platforms.

Plan "C" is the same as Plan "B" except the new track stub ends at BWI station and would serve as a MARC turn track.

The good thing about Plan B and C is the infrastructure is set up for future 4 track main line operation through the area.
I think the plans for BWI airport and a 4th track through there have been further refined. My understanding is that the current plans are for 2 center high level platforms with access to all 4 tracks. Which suggests that there is major track relocation in the plans. The MD application last spring for the BWI Airport rebuild and 9 miles of 4th track was for a total of $340 million ($299 million federal plus $41 million state match) which is enough for a fairly extensive project.