• National Train Day 2014

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R36 Combine Coach

We're three months and a week away from Saturday, May 10. WAS, PHL, CHI and possibly BOS and LAX (as always) will have major events. NYP is out of the question for NTD, and if GCT/NYG is unavailable, HOB would be a better choice. ALB, STL and SAC could be other possible cities as well.

It would be interesting if the first Viewliner II prototypes or ACS-64s are ready for public display by then.
  by hi55us

Hoboken is a good idea, although the lack of high-level platforms would make GCT more desirable. It's a shame amtrak didn't have a presence at NTD (dubbed the "parade of trains") at GCT last year. The display 2 years ago was outstanding PR.
  by CentralValleyRail

Train Day info is posted!

nationaltrainday.com

New York Penn added to the roster.

Also mention of "special fares" for NTD per the site.

More details to follow I'm sure ..
  by NorthEastRegional

NY Penn is always the "launch site", though no display will be on site other than few promos here and there if it was the same as the previous years/
  by R36 Combine Coach

As I have mentioned, HOB would be a great choice over NYP (especially if equipment displays are included).
  by ApproachMedium

Grand central would be better over NYP. It went well the last two years, and I wish they would do it again. Hoboken requires dealing with NJ transit which they dont seem to want to deal with events like this anymore. Plus GCT is indoors incase of weather situations.
  by Ken S.

ApproachMedium wrote:Grand central would be better over NYP. It went well the last two years, and I wish they would do it again. Hoboken requires dealing with NJ transit which they dont seem to want to deal with events like this anymore. Plus GCT is indoors incase of weather situations.
From what I've heard, the crowding at GCT was at near-riot or dangerous levels. Hoboken is a near-ghost town on weekends which would work better then having Train Day crowds mingled with the regular passengers/tourists that use GCT on weekends. GCT also has a no backpacks rule for NTD events due to the tight space and possible other security issues.

NJT needs to rebuild its PR image between Sandy and the Super Bowl failures. Hosting NTD at Hoboken combined with some sort of city-sponsored event would be a start.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Ken S. wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Grand central would be better over NYP. It went well the last two years, and I wish they would do it again. Hoboken requires dealing with NJ transit which they dont seem to want to deal with events like this anymore. Plus GCT is indoors incase of weather situations.
From what I've heard, the crowding at GCT was at near-riot or dangerous levels. Hoboken is a near-ghost town on weekends which would work better then having Train Day crowds mingled with the regular passengers/tourists that use GCT on weekends. GCT also has a no backpacks rule for NTD events due to the tight space and possible other security issues.

NJT needs to rebuild its PR image between Sandy and the Super Bowl failures. Hosting NTD at Hoboken combined with some sort of city-sponsored event would be a start.
I've attempted to bring this up with Mayor Dawn Zimmer and NJT. Plus NTD falls in early May, about the same week as the Spring Arts & Music Festival. PATH and NJT have been sponsors of these events as well.
  by hi55us

This site makes it sound as if the display in NYP is going to be quite the show, with model trains and equipment displays.
We are pleased to announce that Amtrak® is celebrating the 7th annual National Train Day at New York Pennsylvania Station on Saturday, May 10th. Around the country, we have seen how trains and train stations bring jobs, economic revitalization, and new attractions to many cities and towns. Northbound, southbound, eastbound, westbound – and your hometown – Amtrak is connecting more than 550 communities in 46 states. This year, National Train Day activities feature train equipment displays, local exhibitors, model train displays, kid-friendly activities from Chuggington and much more! On May 10th, Amtrak® invites you and your family to join us at an event near you to celebrate trains and train travel, and to share why Trains Matter to us all.
I would certainly prefer a display at Grand Central or Hoboken, but Grand Central was a real mess last year, plus no Amtrak equipment was on display. I hope they plan it well in NYP and avoid the crazy lines that where present last year at GCT.
  by alewifebp

Actually, it says the same thing for all of the events. There is no practical place to put any significant display in Penn Station. I went one year and it was a bust. Looks like I'll be heading to Philadelphia again.
  by CentralValleyRail

alewifebp wrote:Actually, it says the same thing for all of the events. There is no practical place to put any significant display in Penn Station. I went one year and it was a bust. Looks like I'll be heading to Philadelphia again.
Always worth a trip anyway on NTD.

I'll be heading to DC on Acela Express 2203.

I heard Washington D.C. will be doing the Acela Express Excursion rides again this year.
  by ThirdRail7

Anyone want to take a bet on where the ACS-64 will show up? :P
  by NorthEastRegional

For New York Penn, do you think Amtrak would run an Acela set thru the Sunnyside Yard Curve for excursion if it was to also happen here in New York? I know it may be a bit dreamy but I think they can pull it off.
  by 25Hz

I would like to be able to see ALP-45dp, acs-64, viewliner 2, and corridor clipper at 30th st, as well as any old varnish or PV (those are always cool no matter how many times you see them). A bonus would be a heritage unit, newly modified metroliner cab, and/or work loco.

The only big question for me is how early will i go, and if i'll use west trenton or trenton line to get there & back. I'm leaning towards trenton line, even if it's a bit farther from me, it is more interesting in terms of other trains you see, and faster. ;)
  by 25Hz

hi55us wrote:Hoboken is a good idea, although the lack of high-level platforms would make GCT more desirable. It's a shame amtrak didn't have a presence at NTD (dubbed the "parade of trains") at GCT last year. The display 2 years ago was outstanding PR.
Are the bathrooms at hoboken even repaired from sandy yet? And what state is the PATH station in?