• National Train Day 2014

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CNJGeep

They both function.
  by mtuandrew

25Hz wrote:I would like to be able to see ALP-45dp, acs-64, viewliner 2, and corridor clipper at 30th st
From some of the scuttlebutt around here, it sounds like Amtrak would like that even more :P
  by CentralValleyRail

R36 Combine Coach wrote:We're three months and a week away from Saturday, May 10. WAS, PHL, CHI and possibly BOS and LAX (as always) will have major events. NYP is out of the question for NTD, and if GCT/NYG is unavailable, HOB would be a better choice. ALB, STL and SAC could be other possible cities as well.

It would be interesting if the first Viewliner II prototypes or ACS-64s are ready for public display by then.
Was a new thread really necessary?

Why is NYP out of the question, do you know something we don't know?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Check the dates. This one came first.
  by Greg Moore

CentralValleyRail wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:We're three months and a week away from Saturday, May 10. WAS, PHL, CHI and possibly BOS and LAX (as always) will have major events. NYP is out of the question for NTD, and if GCT/NYG is unavailable, HOB would be a better choice. ALB, STL and SAC could be other possible cities as well.

It would be interesting if the first Viewliner II prototypes or ACS-64s are ready for public display by then.
Was a new thread really necessary?

Why is NYP out of the question, do you know something we don't know?
NYP is just a very busy place to do a NTD.
  by ryanov

Ken S. wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Grand central would be better over NYP. It went well the last two years, and I wish they would do it again. Hoboken requires dealing with NJ transit which they dont seem to want to deal with events like this anymore. Plus GCT is indoors incase of weather situations.
From what I've heard, the crowding at GCT was at near-riot or dangerous levels. Hoboken is a near-ghost town on weekends which would work better then having Train Day crowds mingled with the regular passengers/tourists that use GCT on weekends. GCT also has a no backpacks rule for NTD events due to the tight space and possible other security issues.
I was talking to an Amtrak crewman today on the Acela and he said the same thing. But I was there and don't know what those reports are talking about. Maybe it was Sunday instead of Saturday when I was there?
  by NorthEastRegional

ryanov wrote:
Ken S. wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Grand central would be better over NYP. It went well the last two years, and I wish they would do it again. Hoboken requires dealing with NJ transit which they dont seem to want to deal with events like this anymore. Plus GCT is indoors incase of weather situations.
From what I've heard, the crowding at GCT was at near-riot or dangerous levels. Hoboken is a near-ghost town on weekends which would work better then having Train Day crowds mingled with the regular passengers/tourists that use GCT on weekends. GCT also has a no backpacks rule for NTD events due to the tight space and possible other security issues.
I was talking to an Amtrak crewman today on the Acela and he said the same thing. But I was there and don't know what those reports are talking about. Maybe it was Sunday instead of Saturday when I was there?
I was there for the Amtrak National Train Day at GCT in 2012 when it replaced the DC Union Station one (due to the Earthquake in Virginia that damaged parts of DC Union). Though I was there for the great majority of the morning, it's certainly is equivalent to Major League Sports Game/St. Patty's Day crowds but constant flow instead of just a train load off, bunch of people and noise, then more silence. I think in general, Philly's and DC's are more understandable and organized than New York's, it doesn't help that New York is one of the most major centers either, though I am curious about Chicagoland and Los Angeles's crowds because those are the only two that can somewhat "match" New York's crowds when it comes to the majorness of these two cities.
  by ThirdRail7

Perhaps the 10004 and 10005 will also come out to visit. :wink:

Edit: Can a moderator merge the two NTD 14 threads? Here is the link for the second thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 6&t=155410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by R36 Combine Coach

One other advantage of NTD at HOB over NYG is that HOB is directly connected to Amtrak's national network via the Waterfront Connection. Getting to NYG requires over Hell Gate from SSY to New Rochelle, reverse and down MNCR.
  by ThirdRail7

R36 Combine Coach wrote:One other advantage of NTD at HOB over NYG is that HOB is directly connected to Amtrak's national network via the Waterfront Connection. Getting to NYG requires over Hell Gate from SSY to New Rochelle, reverse and down MNCR.

Unless you mass the equipment at ALB and bring it directly in the GCT via the Hudson Line (like a large amount of the equipment in 2012). All three of the moves require assistance from the host railroads. One route is not much more difficult than the next one so it basically boils down to where the equipment is coming from.
  by Tadman

This also sounds like a super expensive plan - a bit different than ferrying stuff into 14th street at leisure, storing it on the house track, and shoving it a mile or so into the south concourse on a quiet Saturday night or Sunday AM. NTD does not strike me a cheap proposition, especially in NYC.
  by fl9m2004

GCT would be a great option for national train day
I went there 2 years ago and was really impressed with how metro north handled the crowd
The question is would Amtrak have a new electric engine there
Personally I would have a spare aem7 there being how they're getting pretty close to retirement
  by ryanov

I don't personally feel my generation did anything to deserve nothing but "cheap" stuff, but nonetheless everything that happens these days seems to be evaluated on whether it is cheap enough. I thought we were the greatest country in the word, or whatever that nonsense I keep hearing says.
  by ApproachMedium

NorthEastRegional wrote:For New York Penn, do you think Amtrak would run an Acela set thru the Sunnyside Yard Curve for excursion if it was to also happen here in New York? I know it may be a bit dreamy but I think they can pull it off.
Who the hell wants to do this? There is nothing to see over there, its just hell. The worst PR thing Amtrak could do is bring people around the loops in sunnyside which are a mess right now from all of the ESA construction. Trust me, its not pretty lol.
  by ApproachMedium

fl9m2004 wrote:GCT would be a great option for national train day
I went there 2 years ago and was really impressed with how metro north handled the crowd
The question is would Amtrak have a new electric engine there
Personally I would have a spare aem7 there being how they're getting pretty close to retirement
Spare? LOLOLOLOL.