• MP54 and P54 coaches-Preserved?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long island Joe

Yes The Car's was Own By The NRHS/LIST
  by trainspot

Yes, I added that photo to my album to link to here.
There were 14 cars, some MUs and some diesel hauled. I have a list, if anyone's interested.
  by H.F.Malone

The second car away from the camera is a P-70 style coach; the difference in body and roof height is noticeable-- did LIRR have any P-70s in coach or other service?

Did LIST get any of those wonderful heavyweight Parlors?
  by trainspot

In the photo, the lo roof car is P70B 821, the hi roof is P70A 810. Both built as parlors in 1913, 1911 resp., and re-classified to coaches in 1926.

I have photos of the 1 and 4391 together, and the opposite end with the 7921 (921 LI Expy car) that I can post in my album too, if anyone wants to see.
Here's a link to a photo of club car 2004 Syossett, the 2002 Oyster Bay and 2003 South Shore also survive.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=158939

by Mr rt

This item has dropped off the radar screen due to lack of interest :-(

I'm working a day at Warehouse Point, Thur Aug. 25th.
Will get to view their MP-54 as I carry folks down their 1 1/2 mile line.

by Nasadowsk

Hey - yeah guys - anyone REALLY up to get that unit rolling? We've got the knowhow and drive here. Why not?
  by xtcbct

While browsing on the forums here, it was interesting to see the discussion of our LIRR MP-54 4153. A comment earlier in the conversation that stated "they could care less about the thing and would gladly let it rot" couldn't be further from the truth. That certainly is not our intent with any of the cars in our collection. Albeit, 10 years later from the original postings of this conversation, the car has recently had a broom job painting completed by one of our members who is an engineer on the LIRR. First of all, there are a number of obstacles for us with that car, it cannot truly make it to the car shop that we have due to the "trolley curve" we have which is quite sharp. However, the car has run successfully down our 3 mile round trip main line without issue. I believe the car last ran in 1995. If the commenters here are still serious about helping with the car, as I noticed they said they had knowledge about the car, I would definitely encourage you to join the museum and you could help with cosmetic work on the car, which it needs badly. We truly all are volunteers, so work happens quite slow. Anyone who is interested can contact me, and I could put you in contact with the member who did the painting on it. I'm sure he would be happy to have help. Although, I highly suggest developing a plan and working with our current member who has been working on it.

Re:

by keyboardkat

Mr rt wrote:Aren't the cars in the photo "Ping Pongs", i.e. diesel hauled,
vs. MP___ that were third rail powered ?
The term "ping-pongs" referred specifically to the arch-roofed P-54s. They were given that nickname because of their rocking motion due to their short-wheelbase trucks. These were essentially shop trucks and were supposed to be temporary, but were never replaced. The clerestory-roofed P-54s, while older, actually rode better because they had longer wheelbase trucks.
  by RonM

xtcbct wrote:While browsing on the forums here, it was interesting to see the discussion of our LIRR MP-54 4153. A comment earlier in the conversation that stated "they could care less about the thing and would gladly let it rot" couldn't be further from the truth. That certainly is not our intent with any of the cars in our collection. Albeit, 10 years later from the original postings of this conversation, the car has recently had a broom job painting completed by one of our members who is an engineer on the LIRR. First of all, there are a number of obstacles for us with that car, it cannot truly make it to the car shop that we have due to the "trolley curve" we have which is quite sharp. However, the car has run successfully down our 3 mile round trip main line without issue. I believe the car last ran in 1995. If the commenters here are still serious about helping with the car, as I noticed they said they had knowledge about the car, I would definitely encourage you to join the museum and you could help with cosmetic work on the car, which it needs badly. We truly all are volunteers, so work happens quite slow. Anyone who is interested can contact me, and I could put you in contact with the member who did the painting on it. I'm sure he would be happy to have help. Although, I highly suggest developing a plan and working with our current member who has been working on it.
First, it's good to see 4153 proudly standing guard once again at North Road station. She looks good and I was "shocked" when I saw her there! I'm glad she finally found dedicated sponsors.
Hopefully, I am not out of line here. One thing not mentioned is that some pieces at CTM were acquired by various members over the years. I believe 4153 was acquired by a member in the early seventies who was instrumental in setting it up to run off the trolley wire. The member also set up the track signaling system as well and was it's primary caretaker. Certainly the Hartford and Springfield Street Railway had no elaborate signaling on such a rural row but the member used his expertise to show patrons how signaling operations worked. Most common riders don't appreciate what work went into it (if they even notice it). The member died a few years ago. So it could be because the car was a members, they may have felt that it was their equipment and wanted no one else to do anything to it no matter how well intentioned and therefore, there was no response. But that's my observation and I do not represent the CTM, nor speak for them.

I believe several other pieces were also members or acquired by them at one time. I think the Canadian steeple cab, one of the Helco steamers, I wanna say 3 (no longer on the property), a CV caboose (now at CERM), the Boston type 5, maybe the Cleveland center entrance, even various critters that were "flipped" (resold after receiving work by some "enterprising" members) among other equipment ( a freight car or two) all fell into this category at one time. It was because of those dedicated members, that the stuff survived in the first place.

I'm not sure how much (if anything) is still privately owned at the museum but there have been huge advancements lately in moving forward, to the point of saying goodbye to stuff too far gone i.e. CTCO 1550, 2022. (source: CTM webpage, news)