• MP54 and P54 coaches-Preserved?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by EDM5970

How about finding the brass that wasn't seated quite right, AFTER the guy took the journal jack away on the last day. I recall using my little 2 ton "imported" bottle jack to fix that one; has had a slight leak ever since.

Or going into one of the fast food places to warm up and clog my arteries, the girl behind the counter being asked "Whats you got thats good?" I still use that line once in awhile. (And I miss the 5 cyl. IH Scout-) Yes, those were the days, alright.

by Nasadowsk

BMT - I think you'd find there's a good sized group here who *is* serious about getting that car preserved and even running. I'd like to see the thing's rot stabalized and the exterior at least preserved, if not restored to a nice scheme, and I'd *love* to get it rolling. I suspect we could assemble a group of a few here - I doubt I'm the only one interested in the car.

by BMT

Nasadowsk -- it's good to know a core group of guys could be assembled to work on 4153. However, if most of you are from Da Island -- whether Nassau or western Suffolk -- then chances are it'd make sense to carpool up to Warehouse Point, otherwise the expense would be a killer. Mr. T will be able to advise you (and anyone else) on a plan of strategy with the museum and in carpooling ideas for all interested parties. He'll most likely post here tomorrow when he'll have access to the web again.
  by H.F.Malone

Don't forget the other LIRR-related use of the Scout-- as a link in the Rube Goldberg rig used to remove an air compressor from a certain enclosed piece of equipment in NJ--- with permission of the then-owner, of course! A little rope, a few 2x10s, some curse words, and the Scout; works for me!

by EDM5970

Like I keep telling my son, TE is TE. I wonder where that pump is now; I know where it was supposed to go.

by Frank

What is the condition of the MP-54 combine car at Riverhead? Can it be restored to operable condition?

by Mr rt

FIRST: Riverhead has a bunch of MP-54 look-a-likes,
so if you can't see your way clear to go to Hartford or ME think about them:
MPB-54 1391; MBM-62 4209; B-62 7723; BM-62 7737 & T-62 200.

SECOND: Eye have contacts at both The Point & Seashore if a serious group is put togather.
So e-mail me privately about this.

Primarily I'm a Branford operator/worker. I 'm also a "week-day" fill in man at The Point,
i.e. when one of their regulars has something come up I'm one of the folks they call.
This year, so far I've done a June & July assignment.(in June I did one trip in their PCC #451)
I'm also a member of Seshore in ME. They have a few folks active on their rt equipment.
(they just acquired a couple of "Red Birds" from NYC)

P.S. The Point also has several Chicago Loop cars, one or two is currently functional.

P.P.S. If your serious about working on the MP-54 you would need to join the museum,
I would suggest at the $35 level (voting level). You could even get qulified to operate trolleys by investing some week-days with one of their two instructors.

by Richard Glueck

If a serious group of committed guys and gals get together and Seashore give the go-ahead, I'll be there. Bangor is about 3.5 hours from Kennebunkport, but I'll toss in to help stabilize and clean the MP54 located there.

RDG

by Nasadowsk

Since most of us are likely down on LI or in the NY Metro - the car at Warehouse Pt is a good candidate, IMHO. Anyone wanna jump into a group here and see if we can make some progress with it?

by Richard Glueck

The other question is, the MU RPO at Riverhead; how bad is it? Is it beyond salvation, if not, why aren't forces being thrown into it's preservation? If it is, then have a crew salvage everything possible, do a total survey with cameras and drawings, and allow it to pass into memory.

by Mr rt

Eye too would like to know what state the MPB-54 is in, as well as their RS-3 1556.

The benifit of The Point or Seashore is that there is the posibility of getting their MP-54s to move under their own power.
At Riverhead there are additional hurdles to get over, i.e. LIRR/MTA management.

by Nasadowsk

And, for me, the chance to see something that I (or a lot of us, probbably), have never seen,i.e., a '54 actually moving by itself, attracts me to The Point a lot more than Riverhead.

Even with a trolley pole, it's still the real thing. And they don't look 1/2 bad with a pole, either!

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Are these the cars that this topic was originally started about?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=158940

How many of them are still around and where are they?

by Dave Keller

I do believe these were the NRHS/LIST cars about which this thread was started.

Most probably their trip to the ex-Grumman site. The view also shows the old location of the "AH" block limit station signal, minus its call letters (I'ts since been moved further east).

The last time I ever saw the cars while in the possession of the NRHS, they were on the old coal siding south of the tracks and east of Deer Park Avenue in Babylon.

Dave Keller

by Mr rt

Aren't the cars in the photo "Ping Pongs", i.e. diesel hauled,
vs. MP___ that were third rail powered ?