Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Clemuel

you're showing your age...

Clem
  by N340SG

you're showing your age...
Clem,

That's okay...I don't mind....I'm 49....Nobody likes getting older...But, considering the alternative, I like it just fine!!!

Tom

by UN Block

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in getting back. I had a few late nights and I didn't even turn the pc on until today!

GEEZ! I had COMPLETELY forgotten that the M1s had Identra equipment! It would be peachy-keen if someone could come up with the paper work (work orders) installing the wayside Identra transponders around Valley Stream.

Clem,

The Identra system could probably have handled all kinds of complicated interlocking moves. I would guess that an interlocking would be set up with moves in some sort of order of preference. What gets me is that they tried it at Valley, an electro-mechanical interlocking! I would have thought that it would've been installed at an interlocking with an all-relay control panel, such as Babylon or Divide.

The only occurence of Identra on the NYC subway (as far as I know) was on the Flushing Line. It was installed in the 1950s when the line was resignalled and was used until, I think, the 1980s, when the code systems were replaced with direct wire.

by Liquidcamphor

I thought the Identra system was the destination "scroll" on the side of the M-1's

They used to scroll and well, keep scrolling...

I didn't know it was capable of operating interlockings or anything more complicated than scrolling that stupid sign.
  by N340SG

The system being so flaky, by all accounts, is why it would be scary for it to remotely throw switches. Can you envision a Babylon train bearing down on Valley Interlocking at MAS, and 1000 feet short of Valley, the train's Indentra spazzes out and decides it's a Long Beach train? :( :( :(

Tom

by UN Block

I wonder which part of the system was so flaky. If I'm not mistaken, all the Identra system did was read the identity of a passing train from the "toilet seat" induction hoop hanging on the front of the train and transmit the info via code to the interlocking down the line. This in turn set the route. At least, this how it worked on the Flushing Line.

Did the LIRR use those same induction hoops for their test that the subway used to use? Photos anyone??? :wink:

by Richard Glueck

You know what I want off eBay, or from some of you guys, is a Pennsy four-legged marker lamp, like used to ride the pilots of G5's, and ended service on the tanks decks. That was classy looking equipment.

by UN Block

Tom,

If a train approached Valley at MAS and then the Identra "spazzed out", the lineup could not change due to approach locking. If a train then came to halt at or before the home signal, a timer would have run down before the tower operator could change the route. Built-in safeties, you know. :wink:
  by Clemuel

I have no idea how the train ID part of Identra worked, but in those days railroad safety was still taken quite seriously and relay logic and interlocking was still king, so I doubt anything seriously dangerous would have been permitted to happen.

The roll sign dependability, on the other hand was hideous. The signs had a three or four (if I remember correctly) stripe identification "bar code" on them. The system would roll them until a row of photocells identified the proper place for the rolling to stop. The problem is that sunlight or glare or something would intefere and the things would roll back and forth emassing more mileage than the car itself...

By the way, I'm not certain of the Valley location test. That's from my memory and I was a very young lad at the time...

Clem

by UN Block

Clem,

And how many of those M1 roll signs do YOU have in your collection? :wink:
  by N340SG

Jeff (UN Block),

I'm pretty certain the transponder was under the back end of the "B" car. Until recently, there was a box there with some sort of coaxial cable looking thing hanging from it. As long as I've been an electrician, it hasn't served any purpose. M of E finally had the Car Repairmen take them off the cars. I'll have to take a look and see if there are any left that were missed (most likely, yes).

Tom

P.S. The comment about the Identra train change was half serious, half facetious. The idea is when I'm on a train or plane, technology is fine...coupled with and complemented by (well-trained) human interaction.
  by Clemuel

UN,

No M-1 signs in my collection but I do have one from the GTE cars. Lists everything from GREENPORT to JFK AIRPORT. Cool stuff.

Clem

by UN Block

Clem!

Oooooh! You dirty gawg, you! :wink:

I thought the M1 roll signs were rare! Jeez!

Seriously, though, I would love to transcribe the sign for possible reproduction in the Semaphore, for example.[/i]

by Paul

uuuuuuhhhhhh...and so much for my headlight question. BTW, I just scored a genuine Sunbeam headlight (early all copper flat back model) in cherry condition! Not sure what railroad it was from but I doubt it was PRR as the number font is wrong. I will however correct this.