• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

E-44 wrote:Sure looks like someone ran a stop signal, but it's getting harder to figure out who - the Freeholders or NJT :-D

Red Bank officials say MOM line link derailed
NJ Transit: Other options still being considered
BY JAMIE ROMM Staff Writer
A controversial rail line proposed through Red Bank had borough officials up in arms early last week, but they now feel that they scored a victory.

"Apparently it is off the table," Red Bank Councilman Michael DuPont said Friday. "The freeholders are not pushing it anymore. We won round one."

More laughs here.
Wow, talk about circling the wagons.................

Amazing, absolutely amazing......what a comedy of errors
  by GSC

How do they get the figure of "40 additional trains" through Red Bank? Two-way hourly service to Lakehurst, like the Bay Head Shuttle?

Mayor Menna is "distressed". Better than being "shocked and appalled" I guess.
  by E-44

GSC wrote:How do they get the figure of "40 additional trains" through Red Bank? Two-way hourly service to Lakehurst, like the Bay Head Shuttle?

Mayor Menna is "distressed". Better than being "shocked and appalled" I guess.
Yes, I think they have a pill for "distressed." :wink:
  by radioboy

GSC wrote:How do they get the figure of "40 additional trains" through Red Bank? Two-way hourly service to Lakehurst, like the Bay Head Shuttle?
The original NJ Transit studies for all 3 routes say 44 trains per day
  by JADes718

Personely, I don't think its going to get built. These little stupid towns don't understand that it not just themselves they're effecting. Thats why little towns like Red Bank, Little Silver, Jamesburg, etc. should all just be regionalized, make a county government system. For instance like California, Orange County and Floridia Dade County, those places have no problem getting projects done like this. The other problem I have with this is, what does the majority say, put a referendum on the ballot. I think that NJT and the commitee are responding to a "vocal minority". Last point, that this all seem futile because this project, no matter what the decision, will be bogged down in-lawsuits for years to come and never get buit. You watch the Lakawana cut-off, the Trenton line and the "Tunnel" will all be built and in service before MOM even chooses a route!
  by wolfboy8171981

Its simple, DO NOT STOP in Jamesburg or any town that doesnt want the train since the first study was conducted. So later on when the citizens complain that the train should stop so they can ride, tell them that since there town delayed the creation of the line for 25 years, you now cant get a station stop for 25 years, screw them right back.
  by Matt Johnson

Seems pretty clear to me - if you want rail service, move someplace close to existing Coast Line service. If you don't want rail service, move to the region that MOM would've served! I don't think MOM is going to happen in my lifetime, but who knows, maybe peak oil will change the dynamic. Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the Lackawanna Cutoff restored.
  by blockline4180

Matt Johnson wrote: Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the Lackawanna Cutoff restored.

Me too, but we will all have to settle on going to Andover only for the time being!
  by WaitinginSJ

blockline4180 wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote: Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the Lackawanna Cutoff restored.

Me too, but we will all have to settle on going to Andover only for the time being!
Something is better than nothing.
  by NJTRailfan

As for cutoff I still say Andover and Blairstown is do able. There is next to nothing around Blairstown. So to hell with the complainers. For MOM I guess there has to be something in the water for them to declare victory. They are being greedy pure and simple. They don't care about the people who have to drive in and around those areas especially during the summer going to the shore. They need to think how mass trans can help releive congestion and make it easier for those to pass through and around their towns to make it easier and not have thousands of cars stuck for hours polluting the area. If they are Democrates and are opposed to this then shame on them big time since Democrates are almost always campaigning on strict environmental laws/concerns.

With MOM The Red Bank to Lakehurst routing is a straight shot which makes it quick and easy. For those towns who complain after the rail service is in that they nowe want a piece of the pie then come back and say ok...We'll give you a station in 25yrs which is the same time they took to delay this project.

I agree with an above user...November is comming and in the words of Ronald Reagan "Fire them all!!!" We do need people to help make this work like engineers, planners and construction people not politicians screwing things up left and right!
  by Tom V

First of all your from Pennsylvania, a State that's residents will benefit more from the Lackawanna cut off than New Jersey residents.

Here's a comparison:
Lackawanna cut-off will bring two new stations in New Jersey.
MOM via Monmouth Jct will bring at least 10 new stations in New Jersey.

The population of the two towns in New Jersey that will get stations as part of the Lackawanna cut-off:
Andover: 658
Blairstown: 5,500
Total: 6,158

The population of the 10 towns in New Jersey that will get stations as part of MOM
Lakehurst: 2,700
Jackson: 52, 500
Lakewood: 70,000
Howell: 51,000
Freehold twp: 35,000
Freehold Boro: 15,000
Manalapan: 38,500
Monroe: 28,000
Jamesburg: 6,000
South Brunswick: 37,000
total: 335,700

There's no comparison, the MOM line serves significantly more (about 330,000 more) New Jersey residents than the Lackawanna cut -off. MOM should be built now, Lackawanna cut off is not as high a priority.
  by jb9152

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Its simple, DO NOT STOP in Jamesburg or any town that doesnt want the train since the first study was conducted. So later on when the citizens complain that the train should stop so they can ride, tell them that since there town delayed the creation of the line for 25 years, you now cant get a station stop for 25 years, screw them right back.
Only problem there is the trains are still running *through* the towns, so it doesn't take care of the larger issue, which is the NIMBYs.
  by RWERN

When you throw the populations of the serviced areas in there, it really highlights the importance of this project. It also shows just how much trouble the Middlesex County people are causing as only about 25% of the total potentially served. I grew up in Middlesex County and honestly, whenever any infrastructure improvements are needed, they are delayed as long as possible and then built in nonsensical ways that are less than ideal. I mean, when the parking structures were added to Metropark station, there were supposed to be improvements to the local roads so they could better process the added traffic, but all that was ever implemented was a new entrance to the GSP which came years later. The improvements to US 1 have been ongoing for what seems like an eternity and they're still not done. Whenever Middlesex County gets involved, things go awry. Frankly, they should have just been able to outvote them or something because of their clear minority.

Also, regarding the Lackawanna Cut-Off project, the numbers aren't exactly reflective of the purpose of the line. The line is intended to relieve the congestion on I-80. The two New Jersey stations are not only meant to serve the towns where they are, but draw in people who would otherwise use I-80. This is also true of all proposed Pennsylvania stops. While Pennsylvania gets more service in terms of stations, that is actually a benefit for New Jersey residents because they are not clogging the highway.
  by Matt Johnson

The main purpose of the Lackawanna Cutoff restoration would be to restore service to the entire growing region of the Poconos and Scranton, not to primarily serve the small towns of Andover and Blairstown. This would benefit people who now have no access to rail service, whereas many people in the MOM regions can drive 20 minutes and get to a train station right now. But I'd like to see both happen. I'm just more optimistic about the Cutoff than I am about MOM rail service at this point.
  by northjerseybuff

Cutoff is happening..after all of the studies and bickering..it took many years..I forsee years of environmental and other studies for MOM. The cutoff was kinda simple..little or no grade crossings to rebuild...most infrastructure(except the 28 miles) still in place..no eminent domain. Even with the sound studies with horn/bell noise..not much out there...the MOM project is much much larger in scope