Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by radioman2001

As posted at radio reference last week, MNRR is building out a wide area NXDN yard trunking system. A total of 36 new frequencies have been allocated for the following yards. GCT,Harmon,North White Plains,Brewster, and Stamford,New Haven Conn. At this time Harmon is the only one up.
  by radioman2001

Now 2 yards, Harmon and North White Plains, can talk to each other.
  by Clean Cab

Thank God!! No more sharing road channels!! Welcome to the 21st century MNRR!!
  by DutchRailnut

Hmm now if our head honcho of Radio dept can get things rolling, we would see these frequencies about 4 years after you and me retire ;-)
  by Terminal Proceed

The trunking channels will be used for SUPPORT and ANCILLARY services. There will be no significant changes made to the radio use for incoming/outgoing trains to/from the yards or for the yard crews.
  by Clean Cab

:(
  by RearOfSignal

"Can I get a blue light on 17?"
"Is that Harmon yard or North White?"
:)
  by DutchRailnut

If proper radio procedure were used you would know.
Carman ****** to Northwhite yardmaster " can I have blue light on 17 over "
  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:If proper radio procedure were used you would know.
Thanks Dutch, it was a joke.
  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:If proper radio procedure were used you would know.

Not quite!!

"Metro North Carman ------ to North White Plains Yardmaster, requesting Blue Light proctection on track 17, over."
  by theozno

I am sure this has been discussed or there is a link somewhere but what is a blue light. I have seen them on/in the Cab cars Maxi in the Danbury yard at night blinking or stable. is that the same thing or something totally different. Thanks :)
  by MNCRR9000

radioman2001 wrote:Now 2 yards, Harmon and North White Plains, can talk to each other.
That's interesting that the Harmon and North White Plains yard will be able to talk to each other. Any idea of when the other yards will be up and running such as Stamford and New Haven?
  by kitn1mcc

NXDN is ok but only Icom and Kenwood make radio for them. and both of there protables are not the best built radio
  by Otto Vondrak

theozno wrote:I am sure this has been discussed or there is a link somewhere but what is a blue light. I have seen them on/in the Cab cars Maxi in the Danbury yard at night blinking or stable. is that the same thing or something totally different. Thanks :)
I assume you can't get to Google, so let me help you out. I typed in "blue light protection" and here's what I got:
Types of blue flags and placement

Blue flag protection may consist of a blue-painted metal sign (actual flags are no longer used) of about 12 by 18 inches in size, or a steady burning or flashing blue light, or switch and derailment locks that can be opened only by keys assigned to designated employees. The blue flag metal sign generally has the word "stop" or a safety slogan painted on it in white.

A blue flag or signal displayed on or in front of a piece of rolling stock means that that piece of equipment may not be moved or coupled to. When placed on a car, the blue flag is positioned so it is at right angles to the track and extended for its full size beyond the edge of the car, making it plainly visible.

When protection is needed for a locomotive, two blue flags may be used. Both flags are placed at right angles to the track, but while one extends beyond the engine as on a car, the other extends inward to obstruct the engineer's view from the cab. A blue flag may also be placed on the control stand in the cab. If two or more locomotives are coupled together a blue flag is put on each control panel. Blue signal lights may also be used.
http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20Ref ... flags.aspx

Of course, this has nothing to do with radio rules.

-otto-
  by radioman2001

The further expansion for the trunked system is relying now upon IT providing network connectivity at all the sites. Some locations do not have any available static IP's. Others have no resources at all for IP. While this not a radio problem, I cannot fault the IT department, since they have like most of us right now have no budget. BTW the Icoms's come in repeaters, mobiles (being field tested now) and portables. The feedback from other Class 1 railroads has been positive on their durability. I love Motorola's but ICOMS seem to be just as good.