Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

Don't know any train numbers, but 112/611 was on track 13 this morning at 8:30. I walked over and took a look. Never thought I'd get this close to it again. Sounded good. Neither was on the storage track this evening, so I'd think they're still out and about.
  by F40CFan

I got a short video of 112 and 611 pulling out of CUS track 13 this morning (03/13) with the HEP off on both units. If I can find my USB cable to my camera I'll download it to my PC. After that, if anyone has any suggestions on where I can post it easily, I'll be happy to.
  by bones

by doepack

Are there any plans to run these units solo at some point, or are they going to remain paired with other units?
  by Metra416

Metra 611 ran in the lead of train number 2143 this evening, (3-17-09) with 209 as the trailing unit on the Milwaukee District North Line. It has been rumored that this was a one-night-only event for a railfan's birthday, as Metra does NOT want the F40C's leading, as they are stictly to be used as trailing units on the Milwaukee District's Double Headers due to the shortage of equipment/units being rebuilt.
  by F40CFan

It was on track 13 this morning (03/18) leading 209.
  by F40CFan

FYI, 611 is still leading 209 this morning (03/20). Maybe Metra has some class after all.
  by doepack

F40CFan wrote:FYI, 611 is still leading 209 this morning (03/20). Maybe Metra has some class after all.
Nah, I'd say it just easier for them to keep the consist together as is, at least for the time being. They'll probably break 'em up when one (or both) units come up for re-fueling...
  by F40CFan

Nice shot, thanks for sharing. Its nice to see her back where she belongs.

By the way, has anyone spotted 614? The last time I saw her, two Metra switchers were taking her back toward the shops.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

That is a great shot Mr55. 611 looks brand new almost. Photo spot looks sketch though, is that near a crossing?
  by mrconductor55

Ha thanks guys,

Its nowhere near a level crossing. I left my bike near the access road around Ashland avenue, and ended up walking like a mile west on the access road. No one called the bull on me, most everyone just waved and gave me a nice toot as they passed. If you look off to the right you can see the bridge over north Oakley avenue. So I was on the access road of the elevated ROW. Just a bit sketchey, but I wanted to get a signal bridge in the shot.
  by F40CFan

611 hasn't been on the morning train on track 13 this week. 209 is leading another F40PH.

Last night I saw one of the F40Cs at Western Ave. connected to a train all by itself. I didn't get a long enough view to catch the number. This morning, the train was not there, so it might be in service.
  by Metra 47 607

611 has been runing on its own since Monday Mar 23rd. It has been on the North line on train # 2137 on Monday and Tuesday. It looks really good to see it runing on its own just like the old days! Go F40C