Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Rumor has it from another list that the 611/105 pair is assigned on rush hour trains 2237 & 2216. There's also talk that 614 is about to hit the road again, perhaps as soon as today, (3/10) possibly assigned to MD-N trains 2143 & 2116. Don't know if 614's going solo, or if it'll be paired with another unit...
  by Illinifan

The 611 is paired with the 112 this evening (3/10) as the trailing unit on train 2237.
  by CNW5022-A519

It would be nice to see 614 out for action, I would be guessing that it would be on MMDNL 2143, they have them use them I hope that both perform well and that the personal at 547 west Jackson find out that age does not mean anything. My guess is that Metra is in locomotive crises as the 400s break down and ridership is heavy. Up keep is the key to engines nomater waht they are.
  by F40CFan

Illinifan wrote:The 611 is paired with the 112 this evening (3/10) as the trailing unit on train 2237.
I passed a train this evening (3/10) being pushed by 105 alone and thought the worst. When I got to the yard I saw 112 with 611. So far 614 is still sitting by itself. I too would like to see it fired up.

They should get more back from HELM. I bet with a moderate effort they could be back doing what they did so well for many years. If Metra is truely in a locomotive crunch, it might make sense. After all, they bought back old Pullman coaches to ease a passenger car crunch. I know it takes more to get a locomotive funcitonal compared to a coach, but it has to be cheaper than new power.
  by doepack

F40CFan wrote:They should get more back from HELM. I bet with a moderate effort they could be back doing what they did so well for many years. If Metra is truely in a locomotive crunch, it might make sense. After all, they bought back old Pullman coaches to ease a passenger car crunch. I know it takes more to get a locomotive funcitonal compared to a coach, but it has to be cheaper than new power.
In case anyone's forgotten, Metra didn't keep 611 & 614 around for sentimental reasons, it was simply to provide backup power during times of temporary power shortages, not unlike what's happening now. They're being fired up again because more units (both MP's & F40's) are being sidelined, plus four F40's are still away on rebuild. While the car shortage was much more serious, Metra's power situation has been stable in comparison for the most part; they might be a bit short now, but it won't last as more units head out of the shop with a clean bill of health for more pushing & pulling. But in the meantime, enjoy the C's as they pinch-hit for awhile...
  by metraRI

doepack wrote:In case anyone's forgotten, Metra didn't keep 611 & 614 around for sentimental reasons, it was simply to provide backup power during times of temporary power shortages, not unlike what's happening now. They're being fired up again because more units (both MP's & F40's) are being sidelined, plus four F40's are still away on rebuild.
The rebuild number has actually gone up to 5: 102, 100, 110, 111, most recently 109. 102 shouldn't be gone much longer. Even with the current number of units out of service, there is still a good handful of extra power. I do wonder how much longer the C's will stick around... Metra has been reluctant to use them unless absolutely necessary.. and they have been sidelined for almost 5 years now.
  by Tadman

Look at it this way - you instead could be pulling stop/go trains with the surplus Amtrak P40's, like CDOT and NJT are now. The T&E guys haven't invented the "Eight and Wait" saying for no good reason. I can only think of one guy on these boards that runs trains and likes the Gennies better than an EMD product.
  by mrconductor55

611 ran again today on the 2237. A friend and I watched it, with 112 on point shoving in and out of CUS. It was good to see an F40C running.

Edit: My friend told me that he stopped by Western Avenue, and the 614 was nowhere to be seen. :-D
  by Milwaukee_F40C

Are you sure that was train 2237 to Big Timber? I just photographed what should have been 2237 there at around 6:29... with a MoPo on it. A few minutes later 2239 pulled in with another MoPo and at about 7:07 train 2245 came in with a Winnebago.
  by Metra 47 607

611 was on the North line today trailing 112 on train 2143 It looks and sounds great I saw it at north Glenview. Just to bad its not in the lead where it belongs.
  by Metraf40cfan

My father just called me and he said that 614 was second on a train located in the Fox Lake yard MD-N. It great to hear that the 600s are being used again. Wish I was there to see them in use. If any can get a pic of the new rebuilds it would be great to see.
  by F40CFan

mrconductor55 wrote:611 ran again today on the 2237. A friend and I watched it, with 112 on point shoving in and out of CUS. It was good to see an F40C running.

Edit: My friend told me that he stopped by Western Avenue, and the 614 was nowhere to be seen. :-D
Nice picture, thanks.

I was on 2227 this evening (03/11) and saw two Metra switchers moving 614 toward the Western Ave. shop building. It didn't appear to be running...yet.

I know 611 and 614 were kept because Metra was required to keep them, but it appears that they still have a useful purpose.

Its funny that Metra is rebuilding F40PHs that are only a couple of years younger than the F40Cs. Metra said it wasn't cost effective to rebuild them. I would speculate that Metra had the funds and just wanted new toys, so they got rid of the F40Cs in favor of the MP36s. Now that cash is tight, they are rebuilding the F40PHs rather than trying to get new power. Another reason I believe Metra gave up on the F40Cs is because of their C-C trucks. Ever since Amtak had problems with the SDP40Fs, passenger carriers have been shying away from 6 axle units. Never mind that E units and FP45s served for many years without problems.

So I will state again, if Metra needs additional power, they should get at least some of the F40Cs back and rebuild them just like they're doing with the F40PHs, even if the big shots would have to "eat crow".
  by Milwaukee_F40C

They still rolling or have they been put away? I would appreciate if anyone knows possible train numbers and which line. So far I haven't been able to catch them on their previous runs.