• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by TrainManTy

8th Notch wrote:While MBCR is under contract for the T, they are still subject to whatever terms the T calls for. Remember the T will be the owner of the new equipment so the vendor and the T are the ones investing resources not MBCR. MPI paid for the first training class while the rest will be covered by the T, MBCR just has to handle the scheduling..
Not to mention, most of the people who actually run the railroad will be moving over to Keolis with nary an interruption -- just a different logo on their paycheck. It's mostly upper management that needs to work on their resumés. I know for a fact that RWP and blue flag training classes are still running, and I imagine other classes are the same way.
  by Slushbucket

Uh oh. Even the HSP46 is having trouble in this weather.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 349477.jpg
David S. Hutchinson wrote:HSP-46 2001 is having a tough time holding her water in the intense cold we've been experiancing, so, its back indoors, inside the Diesel House at Boston Engine Terminal.
  by DutchRailnut

if it was shut down, it is proper to have Ogonz valve drop cooling water so no damage occurs.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

I take it if they're blasting through the manufacture of all 18 units that the change orders from the testing results of the static unit @ BET and the two getting road tests @ MPI have been few and far between and they don't anticipate any future modifications that can't quickly/painlessly be done to a production unit?
  by 8th Notch

The order is for 40 units total and I was told 18 units complete or near completion with 6 already painted. The majority of the mods are usually to software only so that usually does require much work. I still wouldn't expect to see any units shipped until all required testing is done with the 2001.
  by sery2831

They must be confident that it will pass the clearance test.
  by 8th Notch

I'm still interested to see how the rear of the carbody keeps the elements out of the engine room with all of the openings.

Edit: Guessing the unit in Pueblo finished testing, the 2001 is due to hit the road on Sunday *subject to change.*
  by DutchRailnut

the openings are not in engine room section but in radiator/inverter section.
  by 8th Notch

Either way you look at it there still was enough concern initially from the T that had them exploring the idea of having fiberglass put behind it.
  by DutchRailnut

It works fine on Genesis P32acdm and HSP-46 is basically same layout for all gear.
  by GP40MC1118

Hearing rumors the 2001 is headed out on the road today for testing on the
Lowell mainline between Wilmington and Billerica Shop. Don't know if the
weather has put it off.

D
  by 8th Notch

Notice was put out last week saying the new loco with an F40 and some doubles would be testing on the NH route. The job was covered this am so things should still be a go.
  by bmcdr

Test Train.jpg
Testing did get underway, after a delay of 6 hours, which included both units having to be brought inside to be thawed out, revived, and watered. Then the Rotem control car had issues and had to be swapped out, a 900 series Kawasaki in the middle of the consist developed air problems, and both the new cab car and 2nd unit had to be tested and given the proper paperwork.
  by ACeInTheHole

bmcdr wrote:
Test Train.jpg
Testing did get underway, after a delay of 6 hours, which included both units having to be brought inside to be thawed out, revived, and watered. Then the Rotem control car had issues and had to be swapped out, a 900 series Kawasaki in the middle of the consist developed air problems, and both the new cab car and 2nd unit had to be tested and given the proper paperwork.
I thought the whole point of the test train was for the unit testing to have issues, not the equipment comprising the test train. Slightly sarcastic but I mean come on. Then again the cab car wouldnt be a Rotem if it didnt break.