Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Rockingham Racer

I wonder if there's a possibility of MNRR running extra trains on the Harlem Line up to White Plains to handle the crowd on the Hudson Line. I also wonder how many buses it's going to take to handle the shuttle situation over to Tarrytown. With today's crowded trains, one big mess for sure. :(
  by glennk419

Overtime wrote:I was on the scene this morning, here are some of my pictures http://snapshot.phanfare.com/6332132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incredible pictures to say the least. Given the dynamics that must have occurred as the train was derailing and despite some apparent coupler separations, the cars performed incredibly well while absorbing some substantial forces. This undoubtedly kept the casualty count from being even worse.

Prayers for all involved.
  by Railhead

Excellent Pictures Overtime
Nice Job
  by Noel Weaver

Terminal Proceed wrote:OK folks time for me to weigh in. After consulting with Jeff Smith by phone this morning - here are the guidelines for this thread. There will be NO speculation permitted as to the cause of the incident that is not based on FACT. This thread is ONLY to be utilized for the topic at hand. The merits of various train control apparatus, and/or push-pull operations are NOT topics for discussion in this thread. If you want to discuss these topics open a new thread. This thread will be monitored VERY closely - knuckle-headed behavior and statements will NOT be tolerated. Let the Federal agencies with jurisdiction conduct their investigations and when they establish the cause it will be published officially.

We don't want to have to lock this down so please police yourselves so we don't have to. I encourage all readers to report anything which they think is inappropriate and Jeff and I will handle it. DO NOT ENGAGE IN FLAMING WARS.

I have already cleaned up certain comments not specifically germane to this incident. If yours was one that was deleted, don't take it personally and DON'T re-post a comment that has been deleted.

Thank You All

Kevin
I absolutely agree with this, let the press make fools of themselves, we do not need to do that here. My sympathies go to all involved, crews, passengers and those whose travel will be affected today the absolute heaviest travel day of the year.
Noel Weaver
  by 2nd trick op

Once again, we are going to be treated to a demonstration of the media's inherent bias with regard to transportation accidents. When a plane hits the ground with double-, even triple-figure fatalaties in a pace like Buffalo or Pittsburgh, the story is forgoten in a few days. But an accident like this will get much heavier coverage, in no small part due to its location.

In fairness, this isn't entirely a negative. New York newspapers, the Times in particular, have almost always done an accurate job of investigating and reporting the circumstances in detail. But there will invariably be comments elsewhere from people who don't even have the background to tell electric from Diesel power.

So for now, let's just let the story evolve, and be prepared to do our part to set the facts straight if some so-called "journalist" tries to lay blame where it isn't deserved.
  by Jeff Smith

Terminal Proceed wrote:OK folks time for me to weigh in. After consulting with Jeff Smith by phone this morning - here are the guidelines for this thread. There will be NO speculation permitted as to the cause of the incident that is not based on FACT. This thread is ONLY to be utilized for the topic at hand. The merits of various train control apparatus, and/or push-pull operations are NOT topics for discussion in this thread. If you want to discuss these topics open a new thread. This thread will be monitored VERY closely - knuckle-headed behavior and statements will NOT be tolerated. Let the Federal agencies with jurisdiction conduct their investigations and when they establish the cause it will be published officially.

We don't want to have to lock this down so please police yourselves so we don't have to. I encourage all readers to report anything which they think is inappropriate and Jeff and I will handle it. DO NOT ENGAGE IN FLAMING WARS.

I have already cleaned up certain comments not specifically germane to this incident. If yours was one that was deleted, don't take it personally and DON'T re-post a comment that has been deleted.

Thank You All

Kevin
One thing to add: if you see any incredibly stupid, insensitive comments, or comments that you feel violate these guidelines, DO NOT RESPOND. That's just feeding the troll and makes more work for Kevin and me and turns the thread into a comment fest on moderation. USE THE REPORT FUNCTION.

I've already issued one ban.
  by MBTA1016

Railhead wrote:Excellent Pictures Overtime
Nice Job
I second the above. Ntsb investigators have already left Washington, D.C.
  by Jeff Smith

Rockingham Racer wrote:I wonder if there's a possibility of MNRR running extra trains on the Harlem Line up to White Plains to handle the crowd on the Hudson Line. I also wonder how many buses it's going to take to handle the shuttle situation over to Tarrytown. With today's crowded trains, one big mess for sure. :(
There's no doubt this stretch will be OOS for a while; weeks maybe? So I'm sure they're working on service plans now.

When Danbury was cut off, stranded train sets were moved over the Beacon. In this case, work engines would have to tow the EMU's from CH over the other section of the Beacon from Fishkill. Not an easy move, including a reverse at Fishkill.

You've got the option of shuttle service to Yonkers, then buses to the subway or the station on Fordham Rd. At some point maybe they can open one track.

There's also the extremely unlikely option of running MNRR trains down the Empire. But that would involve either towing EMU's, or using only diesels. The MNRR P32's don't have the right third rail equipment. You could contract with Amtrak for extra trains, but I believe they're short on compatible P32's as it is.
  by Travelsonic

Very early to ask I know, but I can't help but wonder what will be salvaged/repaired, what will be scrapped so far as the equipment in this train's consist goes.
  by lirr42

Jeff Smith wrote:There's no doubt this stretch will be OOS for a while; weeks maybe? So I'm sure they're working on service plans now.

When Danbury was cut off, stranded train sets were moved over the Beacon. In this case, work engines would have to tow the EMU's from CH over the other section of the Beacon from Fishkill. Not an easy move, including a reverse at Fishkill.

You've got the option of shuttle service to Yonkers, then buses to the subway or the station on Fordham Rd. At some point maybe they can open one track.

There's also the extremely unlikely option of running MNRR trains down the Empire. But that would involve either towing EMU's, or using only diesels. The MNRR P32's don't have the right third rail equipment. You could contract with Amtrak for extra trains, but I believe they're short on compatible P32's as it is.
Amtrak only has 17 P32ACDM's that are just barely enough to cover its own needs now. There will very likely be no alternate service to Penn Station just like there wasn't alternate service during the CSX derailment.

I would suspect we would see an operation very similar (if not even the same schedules, maybe) like what we saw back during the CSX derailment.
  by Noel Weaver

Just a guess on my part but I'll bet they will have this line back up and running probably with delays tomorrow (Monday AM). The scene of this one is enough north to be away from the cut and they can get equipment in there much easier than where CSX spilled earlier this year. The engine is laying on its side but it might look worse than it actually is provided the frame is OK I suspect they might be able to restore that locomotive. The cars are older and suffered, maybe one or more can be considered destroyed. I guess we will just have to stay tuned.
Noel Weaver
  by Noel Weaver

I just got word from a source that I am not at liberty to disclose that Amtrak just got the OK to resume service between Albany and New York. At least they have saved the busiest part of their day.
Noel Weaver