Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RearOfSignal

I would estimate that service will be restored much quicker than it did for the incident in July. The human damage is much worse in this case than the previous.
  by 25Hz

Fishrrman wrote:[[ There's no doubt this stretch will be OOS for a while; weeks maybe? So I'm sure they're working on service plans now. ]]

Track 1 looks completely undamaged and they'll probably have that back in service by tomorrow.

Track 2 -- even though it appears to be the track that the derailed train was operating on -- looks to have sustained remarkably little damage, and restoring it should take only a couple of days once the damaged equipment is removed. (Aside: this would indicate to me that the speed of the train lifted it right up and over the rails, rather than pushing them over)
That outer track looks very much out of alignment, so who knows how long that will take to fix, and then possibly slow orders after it is fixed.

I have my own idea of what happened, but i'm not going to speculate. I'm just glad the numbers aren't worse, and that it didn't involve the west side line tie in and that cars didn't end up in the water.
  by TacSupport1

Thoughts and prayers are with the deceased and injured, and their families.

All these incidents in such a relatively short period of time are going to take a huge hit on Metro North's budget and reputation. Hopefully the derailments are all isolated and not systemic.
  by TacSupport1

Daily News now reporting the Engineer's name as "Bill Rockefeller".

They also posted some new photos, including of the corpses covered up, in VERY poor taste to say the least, IMO.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.1533963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by R36 Combine Coach

Given the lead cab car (6222) and at least one other car involved are owned by the State of Connecticut, what will be ConnDOT's role in the investigation and aftermath? Will ConnDOT determine whether to scrap or overhaul the affected cars?
  by DutchRailnut

think we are getting ahead of ourselves lets wait till cars are in shop and looked at before we speculate and assume ..
  by R36 Combine Coach

On another note, 800-METRO-INFO is back.
People affected by the December 1st train derailment should contact the Metro-North Help Line at 1-800-METRO-INFO (638-7646)
  by Clean Cab

TacSupport1 wrote:Daily News now reporting the Engineer's name as "Bill Rockefeller".

They also posted some new photos, including of the corpses covered up, in VERY poor taste to say the least, IMO.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.1533963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why did you feel the need to post it here?
  by scoostraw

Didn't that curve used to be in a cut? Was it "day-lighted" on the riverside at some point?

Or am I thinking of another location?
  by RearOfSignal

You're thinking of a location just south of there. That is where the freight train derailed in the summer.
  by SouthernRailway

For the Hudson Line alignment:

Instead of going roughly straight from Riverdale to where the line to Penn Station forks off, and going through multiple sharp curves until Marble Hill, ideally, the line would eliminate multiple sharp curves by instead:

Curving once near Riverdale, letting the line to Penn Station fork off around Riverdale, and then going straight to Marble Hill.

Re-working the Hudson Line to eliminate curves like that would probably be way expensive and time-consuming.

But after 2 derailments in those curves in a matter of months, would there be any political will to get a re-alignment done?
  by Nasadowsk

SouthernRailway wrote:For the Hudson Line alignment:

Instead of going roughly straight from Riverdale to where the line to Penn Station forks off, and going through multiple sharp curves until Marble Hill, ideally, the line would eliminate multiple sharp curves by instead:

Curving once near Riverdale, letting the line to Penn Station fork off around Riverdale, and then going straight to Marble Hill.

Re-working the Hudson Line to eliminate curves like that would probably be way expensive and time-consuming.

But after 2 derailments in those curves in a matter of months, would there be any political will to get a re-alignment done?

You're joking, right?
  by scoostraw

RearOfSignal wrote:You're thinking of a location just south of there. That is where the freight train derailed in the summer.
Ok yes. South of the station.

Thanks.
  by SouthernRailway

Nasadowsk wrote:

You're joking, right?
No. Given the cost and expense, I'd assume that there'd be about a 2% chance of the re-alignment (or even some moderate re-alignment) being done, but those 1800s-era commuter rail track alignments around NYC need to be modernized.