Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ClubCar

Mark Schweber wrote:Sirsonic wrote:
Any concern about who I am can be removed by the new requirement that I display my ID at all times on my person while on duty.
When did this go into effect? I know I always see Amtrak engineers walking around NYP with ID's but seems to me that I still am not seeing NJT engineers displaying ID's.

Does this apply to other train personnel. As was discussed in a recent thread some conductors have their numbers on their hats and some do not. JT and the other train personnel may disagree but I would at least like the employee numbers on all train personnel, if not full ID.

That way I would know who to complain about. :-D

(or praise)

P.S. After criticizing Club Car for speaking for Irish I will turn around and give my opinion as to what he should do. Now that this thread is back on track he should merge the two threads and remove the post from Club Car asking for it to be locked and all the subsequent "reaction" posts. (No Irish I am not volunteering to be moderator).

Don't bother.....

Keep the bloody thread going if it means that much to you.....

There!!! Are you happy now Schweber????????

Have a nice day!

etc

by Noel Weaver

It looks to me like the instigator of this monstrositry (hope I spelled that
correctly) has nothing better to do than go around Penn Station looking for
ID's on engineers.
PLEASE GUY!!!! GET A LIFE!!!!!
Suggest that this be put to sleep too.
Noel Weaver
  by n01jd1

Puhleeese!! DO NOT give Gov. ManGravy any ideas!! We have too many "Metrosexual" clones in the tri-state area already!! Besides, who cares how the engineer dresses. Most passengers never see him/her anyway.
I shall step off my soapbox and don my flame retardant suit.

Mark Schweber wrote:Since Irish choose to bow to the demands of the small minded few and lock the previous thread on engineers uniforms I will make my comments here.

Nick11A wrote in the other thread:
And incidentally, we're not all fashion kings (or queens.) I know my sisters want to get me on queer eye for the straight guy- I just happen to hate that show. It's just to peppy, the music, the people etc.
Which leads to a great idea - since NJT engineers seem very resistant to uniforms why not just get the worst dressed among them on the show and they'll start turning up for work in Versace or whatever.

by Lackawanna484

I don't care what the engineer looks like, what he's wearing, or whether he's even a he.

What I care about is delivering me to my destination in one, healthy piece. If he can do that - wonderful, and he can wear a grass skirt for all I care.

by Idiot Railfan

JT: How would you look in a grass skirt?

by Greg

With or without the coconut bra?

by ryanov

Mark Schweber wrote:With only 45 posts you may not have not been around too long but if you had been you would know that I often disagree with Irish's decisions regarding closing or editing threads and do not hesitate to make my opinions clear. As I told you before, since it is easy to read or ignore posts at will why not allow the freest of discussions?
Hate to break it to you, Mark, but he joined the same day you did -- look over to the left... hehe. ;)

by Jtgshu

Greg wrote:

With or without the coconut bra?
I think that ridership would plummet!!!! I think that thought just made me sick - and thats pretty bad if i would make myself sick!!!! :wink:

And before anyone were to ask, yes, underwear would have to be worn!!!! :-D

As for ID badges and all that nonsense, all employees are supposed to be wearing their employee badges out in the open. Im not real thrilled about that, as I don't like my name being shown to the whole world. There have been cases of disgruntled passegners finding out a trainman's name, and looking them up in the phonebook and harassing and threatening them. My telephone number is unlisted anyway, but still - thats not the point. This is usually a problem in the winter when we have to wear our jackets with our names on them. I like the "personal" touch of having my name on my jacket, but in this world of crazy people and identity theft, im not real thrilled about it anymore. My number is on my hat (but yes, there are a few who don't have a badge with numbers or a badge at all for various reasons), if you have a complaint call customer service, give them my number and the train number, thats all you need - even if you don't have the man number of the trainman, they can sort of figure it out if they really wanted too......

IR, how would YOU look in a grass skirt???? :-D

by Notch 8

The new requirement for employees to display ID went into effect Aug.16. The rule will be enforced by supervision for the months of Aug. and Sept. and after that everything will go back to normal (in theory).

With regaurds to this topic I find it so interesting that so many non engineers have an opinion on what engineers wear. The engineers who do post on this forum certainly couldn't care less about what passengers, Trainmen, or what buffs wear, so why spend so much time on us? But what do I know? I'm just an engineer.

by thebigc

Notch 8 wrote:With regaurds to this topic I find it so interesting that so many non engineers have an opinion on what engineers wear. The engineers who do post on this forum certainly couldn't care less about what passengers, Trainmen, or what buffs wear, so why spend so much time on us? But what do I know? I'm just an engineer.
And that's what forums are all about: opinions.

I could care less what clothes you're wearing or even how many days straight you've been wearing them. Just operate my train properly and do as you're told.

by Mark Schweber

Jtgshu wrote: As for ID badges and all that nonsense, all employees are supposed to be wearing their employee badges out in the open. Im not real thrilled about that, as I don't like my name being shown to the whole world. There have been cases of disgruntled passegners finding out a trainman's name, and looking them up in the phonebook and harassing and threatening them. My telephone number is unlisted anyway, but still - thats not the point. This is usually a problem in the winter when we have to wear our jackets with our names on them. I like the "personal" touch of having my name on my jacket, but in this world of crazy people and identity theft, im not real thrilled about it anymore. My number is on my hat (but yes, there are a few who don't have a badge with numbers or a badge at all for various reasons), if you have a complaint call customer service, give them my number and the train number, thats all you need - even if you don't have the man number of the trainman, they can sort of figure it out if they really wanted too......

It was actually the earlier threat about employee numbering schemes, where you mentioned the inconsistancy in hats, that got me looking at the hats of train personel. Actually seems to me, but it might just be the crews on the trains I ride, that at least half the people do not have a number on their hat.

I can understand you not wanting you name revealed. Perhaps the id should have just the employee number (in big print) and a picture, with maybe the name on the reverse side so the public would not see it.

As a customer I do want to be able to identify railroad personnel.

by Jtgshu

I woudln't quite say half the people, but actually right now, come to think of it, there is a good number of people with no number on their hat, for a couple of reasons.....

The badges break relatively easily, and fall off sometimes, and other times, their hat gets blown off, and they have to wear a new hat, with no badge, until they can get a replacement.

As far as I know, NJT uses one person, an older gentleman, to make the badges for everyone, and ive been told, he is getting ready to retire, so he is making the badges as he wants, when he wants, and is in no hurry to do so.

there are some people who are the lowest of the roster, who haven't gotten their offical badges yet with their number, and they are offered the option of wearing the "Asst Conductor trainee" badge (NOOOOO) or not wearing a badge at all......99 percent opt to not wear a badge at all!!! (can't blame them!!!)

There are also a very select few who have very, very old badges, which are a lot bigger than the current ones, which just say "Trainman" or "Conductor" and don't have the employee ID number.

by Irish Chieftain

OK, enough of this trolling.

Mr. Schweber, I took you to be a more mature-minded person, but seeing how you got literally chased out of the NJ.com Transit forum, it seems that you are instead a troublemaker and a troll, who delights in stirring up trouble so long as there are no consequences upon you personally. Further, I will not put up with any more personal attacks upon me from you. Grow up, sir.

As for my mod style, it is quite lenient and fair (as I suspect 99 percent of the forum may agree; anyone want to dispute that, you know where my PM inbox is and my email). You want to be brought to tears, I can turn this forum over to Gilbert B. Norman at any time and you will certainly learn about strict moderation.