• Lake Shore Limited Derails 2 Cars - 2/24

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

To sum up, it appears two deadhead cars at the end of WB train derailed. Passengers were bussed into town which was probably the best option. I don't think LSL arrives at rush hour, so that's a workable 1 hour drive.
  by AMTK1007

My sources, internal to the company, and who would be in a posisiton to know, indicate that it was the rear THREE cars, the last viewliner, the bag and the DH amfleet 1 cafe that derailed
  by AlanB

According to this news story, they claim that two cars derailed. However they note that a third car, a Viewliner, was damaged in the derailment and therefore 3 cars were left behind.

I'll also note that this story claims that the train continued onto Chicago with the passengers. However I'll through out the caveat that originally the story did have the passengers being bussed. They updated it later in the day to say that they went through on the train.

So take all of the above with a grain of salt!
  by hi55us

viewliner on the rear? must of been a deadhed move. Makes no sense, deadhead moves with viewliners.
  by AlanB

hi55us wrote:viewliner on the rear? must of been a deadhed move. Makes no sense, deadhead moves with viewliners.
No, since the LSL started splitting in Albany for run through service to Boston (instead of the stub train), the LSL runs with Viewliner's on the bottom now. This way when the train reaches ALB, all they do is cut off the Boston section with the two P42's and send it onto Boston. They then attach a P32-ACDM to the NY section to run south.

Heading the other way, they cut of the P32-ACDM and back the Boston section down onto the NY section.
  by PRRGuy

Since this was only about three blocks from my house.. Here's the consist.

P42 140
P42 104
Heritage Baggage 1751 (Former SP Coach 2374, rebuilt by Amtrak)
Amcoach 25056
Amcoach 25075
Horizon Food Service Car 53501
Amcoach 25079
Amcoach 25001
Amcoach 25096
Amfleet Diner -Lite 28018
Viewliner Sleeper "Southern View"62037
Viewliner Sleeper "Ocean View" 62026
Heritage Baggage 1228 (Former ATSF 3547)- derailed
Amfleet Club-Dinette 48187 - derailed

The rear Viewliner was left behind because it couldn't be uncoupled from the derailed Baggage car behind it. The rear of the sleeper was raised just high enough to jam the couplers.

Check out the link below for my photos of the accident.

Ryan
  by jp1822

Hopefully Chicago has a "spare" Viewliner to operate eastbound #48. This train typically runs with 3 Viewliners, but for a couple months out of the year shrinks down to just two Viewliners. One would think an extra would be at hand in Chicago. After all - isn't this Amtrak's "Chicago cleanup train?"
  by SwingMan

Note: the VL, Southern View, has been refurbished into an updated Phase IVB. It matches the rest of the fleet now.

lirr415-Peter
  by Gilbert B Norman

PRRGuy wrote:Check out the link below for my photos of the accident.

Ryan
....and the link please?
  by hi55us

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
PRRGuy wrote:Check out the link below for my photos of the accident.

Ryan
....and the link please?
in his signature
  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you Mr. HI and sorry Mr. Kertis.

Both Avatars and Signatures are disabled at my settings.
  by Tadman

This train really came unglued... Was that on a crossover or is it as bad as it looks?

One of PRR's pics:
http://nictd1000.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... id=1503404

Here's a birds-eye view of the area - it derailed right at the Hammond Station where Detroit trains stop.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Also - Mod Note: I really respect the way members aren't "Monday morning quarterbacking" this derailment. Thanks for not making wild speculations.
  by Kaback9

David Benton wrote:looks like the wearing of hi viz vests is abit selective .
Yup, and there were a couple of freights that passed by as well...not to mention another Amtrak train.