• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by frank754

Very, very good news. Like the ex- (re-) patriates longing to breathe free. If this continues for any amount of time, I've got to go over there to take a look, history in action.
  by Defiant

frank754 wrote:Very, very good news. Like the ex- (re-) patriates longing to breathe free. If this continues for any amount of time, I've got to go over there to take a look, history in action.
Not sure if there is really that much to celebrate here. Isn't this construction of a just a 7-8 mile extension and an addition of one station? I know this historic meaning that there might be regular train service on the cut off again. But how much practical significance would a 7 mile extension have?

My understanding is that PA was supposed to do the rest. Have any one heard if there are any news about the other 70+ miles of the cut off?
  by trackwelder

Defiant wrote:
frank754 wrote:Very, very good news. Like the ex- (re-) patriates longing to breathe free. If this continues for any amount of time, I've got to go over there to take a look, history in action.
Not sure if there is really that much to celebrate here. Isn't this construction of a just a 7-8 mile extension and an addition of one station? I know this historic meaning that there might be regular train service on the cut off again. But how much practical significance would a 7 mile extension have?

My understanding is that PA was supposed to do the rest. Have any one heard if there are any news about the other 70+ miles of the cut off?
it's something, at least. and if this project is successful then it increases the odds exponentially that eventually the rest of the line will be rebuilt.
  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:7 or 8 miles is better then nothing beeing built at all.

True, but that is probably as far as it will go for a very long time...Unless the regional freight railroads in Pa. get involved, I don't see the gov't footing the bill for the remainder, especially since the "do nothing" congress is in power now.
Yes, yes I know, everyone is broke!!!
  by northjerseybuff

since no-one seems to know the facts here..for the 100th time..The line west of Andover might/might not be included in the presidents budget/or the next transportation bill(was suppose to be passed in late 2010)..thats what the last push was for money...stay tuned..please don't rush to answers. As DCELL did with the andover extension..everyone thought this was dead too.
  by Uzi-Cat

Wow, when did the cut-off become over 70 miles? Last I heard it was only 28. Talk about inflation.
  by northjerseybuff

well technically 21 would be left to be rebuilt after the 7 miles to andover comes back..but yea 28. And lets not forget..the money for andover west would NOT reach scranton..east stroudsburg/analomink looks like as far is it would go IF they get the money
  by Steampowered

wpdj61 wrote:
Wow, when did the cut-off become over 70 miles? Last I heard it was only 28. Talk about inflation.
i don't think you used proper sentence structure here. a 3 word sentence ?
  by cruiser939

Steampowered wrote:i don't think you used proper sentence structure here. a 3 word sentence ?
A four word sentence?
  by Uzi-Cat

steampowered wrote:i don't think you used proper sentence structure here. a 3 word sentence ?
Before you correct anyone else here, you might want to learn the concept of capitalization and the proper use of spaces. You are living in a glass house and throwing stones. The worst part is that you throw like a girl.
  by SemperFidelis

Yay, sexism! Another two word sentence...
  by Roadgeek Adam

wpdj61 wrote:

The stretch in Jersey is 28 miles to rebuild from Port Morris to Slateford Junction on PA 611. The remaining mileage is the stretch from Slateford Junction to Steamtown, where the Scranton Station would be near. Technically the removed portion needing rebuilt is the 28. The rest still has its tracks. However, many members of this forum have shown fair concern that the project is way too long. I care to agree with them. We could easily run service from Gravel Place Yard to Port Morris and save a crapload of our inflated money.
  by NJTRailfan

I would do cartwheels around Dover Station if the Cutoff tracks atleast go as far as Blairstown. That way atleast all of the NJ Residents in that area are taken care off. Anything past that would service PA residents unless if there happens to be a station built in Columbia or maybe even a park and ride somewhere around the Delware Water Gap not far from Rt 80. Even if the service never goes west of E Stroudsburg in the end I'll still be thrilled that something got done. Let's just hope that it doesn't go all the way to 2020.
  by SemperFidelis

If the political courage and money can be found to get the line to Stroudsburg, I would imagine the remaining mileage would be a cinch to have funded.

It all depends on political climate. Don't expect any great gains for the side arguing government funding of infrastructure in 2012. If anything, I think the outlook for these projects is going to grow much, much dimmer before they start looking brighter.

Andover is a nice start. It's a heck of a lot better than nothing.