• Keystone Corridor Improvements

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jfrey40535

Its nice to see Amtrak steaming (well, more like poking) along with the upgrades on the Harrisburg line. Seeing concrete ties outside the NEC makes me think there is still some hope, especially since the Keystone line has been in such bad shape for so long.

What exactly is Amtrak doing at Lancaster? From what I've read in Railpace, it sounds like the Eastbound platform will be permenantly closed with the removal of the track at the platform. The new eastbound platform will be some kind of ramp leading to what was the center track. One one hand, its sad to see Lancaster, which used to have 6 tracks, now down to just 2. I'm wondering if its a wise move on Amtrak's part only because if the state ever goes forward with Lancaster-Harrisburg commuter service, I would think more tracks will be needed.

From what the article said, the eastbound platform is being moved to eliminate a switch west of the station, allowing the train to pull in at faster speeds and shave "precious minutes" off the schedule.

I take it NS has no objection to track capacity being reduced? I would think Amtrak would do better keeping NS on the center track instead of sharing.

Finally, looks like we have at least another year until electric service returns. Taking way too long!

I was also wondering why the state couldn't lease or contract commuter service between Harrisburg and Lancaster with someone like SEPTA, who's itching to get rid of its AEM-7's and bomber coach fleet. Maybe the state will buy them in 2011?

by hsr_fan

Better to have two good tracks than four or six crappy ones! :wink:

I wonder if fire damaged AEM-7's 922 and 930 are being repaired. It would be good to get those back in the fleet, and would help with assigning electrics to the Keystone route. Also, HHP-8 #663, I believe it is, was reported to be "stored, not to be repaired". Amtrak really can't afford to be storing brand new electric locomotives! Send it back to Bombardier to get fixed if it has problems!

But yeah, I agree, if Septa doesn't want its AEM-7's, it would be nice if Amtrak or PennDOT could acquire them for the Keystone Corridor. What are Septa's AEM-7's rated for? 125 mph like Amtrak's? 110 mph? 100 mph like NJ Transit's ALP-44's?

by jfrey40535

Probablly 100 since SEPTA buys "cheaper" wheels.

I like the "Corridor One" concept (dumb name, why not 'Keystone Corridor'), but instead of having to buy and maintain a separate fleet of equipment, why not have Amtrak or SEPTA run it. Since its going to be commuter, I would think a deal similar to the Downeaster would work. Let the state, or this "Corridor One" entity run the show, and just have SEPTA show up with their underutilized P/P trains.

Although to me, it all sounds like the further watering down of Amtrak as a whole. This is intercity rail service, why can't Amtrak run it? Or do they just not want to be bothered with anything that isn't NEC anymore?

by AEM7AC920

hsr_fan wrote:I wonder if fire damaged AEM-7's 922 and 930 are being repaired.
#922 was in the repair process at the Wilmington DE shops a while ago but I don't think it was completed up to date. I saw it quite a few weeks ago outside the shop completely stripped, near an F40!!!

by Jersey_Mike

From what I understand, both station tracks have already been removed, and then both platforms will be extended out to the main tracks. This eliminated the diverging movement to platform. The better solution would have been to straighten out the turnouts and then eliminate the main tracks. I have really gotta to get out there to take some pix.

by hsr_fan

Here's a recent photo.

I wonder, when are we going to start seeing the ex-Metroliner cab cars for push-pull service on the Keystones? I guess not until the all electric operation starts. Also, will all Philly - Harrisburg trains (excluding the Pennsylvanian) be assigned electric power, or only selected "express" runs?

And one final question. What's the status of the three remaining grade crossings on the Keystone Corridor that were to be closed? Has any progress been made there?

by Nasadowsk

<i>I guess not until the all electric operation starts</i>

You're assuming it will.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hsr_fan wrote: Also, HHP-8 #663, I believe it is, was reported to be "stored, not to be repaired". Amtrak really can't afford to be storing brand new electric locomotives! Send it back to Bombardier to get fixed if it has problems!
what happened to 663??

by hsr_fan

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what happened to 663??
The story I read was that it was basically a lemon, and rather than fixing it, they decided to give up and just put it in storage.
  by NellieBly

Hey, stop with the negativity already. The state and Amtrak have signed an agreement which will assign three push-pull electric train sets to Keystone service. That's enough to cover all the trains except the Pennsylivanian.

The track improvements are nearly complete. The Railpace article about Lancaster includes a photo showing two nice new tracks with concrete ties and welded rail at Lancaster. With the disappearance of freight and through passenger service, there is no reason to move trains off the main line for a Lancaster stop.

If SEPTA ever extends service to Lancaster, their trains can turn back at "Cork" interlocking", west of the station. They could even use the Columbia Branch as a tail track. And BTW, I've heard nothing about SEPTA "itching" to dispose of the Bomb cars and locos. In fact, SEPTA is going out for bids for new EMUs to replace 40-year-old Silverliners. The Bomb cars are here to stay.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hsr_fan wrote:
The story I read was that it was basically a lemon, and rather than fixing it, they decided to give up and just put it in storage.
why didn't amtrak send it back to get fixed then?

by AmtrakFan

hsr_fan wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what happened to 663??
Had a transformer Problem Gene Poon told me.
  by hsr_fan

NellieBly wrote:Hey, stop with the negativity already. The state and Amtrak have signed an agreement which will assign three push-pull electric train sets to Keystone service.
Yeah, and we all know how well Amtrak sticks to agreements! Remember when they signed an agreement to operate seven rebuit Turboliners and upgrade Empire Corridor tracks for 125 mph?
NellieBly wrote:And BTW, I've heard nothing about SEPTA "itching" to dispose of the Bomb cars and locos. In fact, SEPTA is going out for bids for new EMUs to replace 40-year-old Silverliners. The Bomb cars are here to stay.
Read about it here! :-D
  by jp1822

Just three trainsets for all electric service from Harrisburg to NY City? This seems a little on the low side...... I suspect some trains will be terminating in Philly with a connection - as it is now. Just wonder if that connecting train on the schedule will increase when the corridor goes all electric.

by hsr_fan

The Keystones currently operate at 125 mph on the Philly - New York portion of the route, right? What will be the limit when they start running in push-pull configuration, and the cab car is leading? 110 mph? Not that it would really affect the schedule....

Edit: You know, since the Keystones stop at Princeton Junction, they're probably running on the outside tracks that have a 110 mph limit anyway.