• Hurricane Irene

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Jtgshu

The creek never came up during Septa's time? helllllooooo Thats a flat out lie. Most recent high marks in the cut are from TS Floyd in 1999.

There are dates on the walls in the cut with previous levels which definitely flooded the tracks in the station. Also, the employee parking lot in Trenton floods every few years, and this was no exception. Seemingly everyone knows (and I bet Septa did too) that Trenton floods, and can flood bad. It was probably overlooked and or forgotten about, or like usual, no one made a decision, and the crews who ran the trains last, just did what they were told.
  by glennk419

INEPTA at its' finest.

It's raining like crazy again, wonder what's sitting up there tonight?

Edit: NWS just issued a Flood Warning for Bucks at 6:49. Here we flow again.
Last edited by glennk419 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jersey_Mike

SEPTA has absolutely no excuse for this not being on their radar. :(
  by Matthew Mitchell

glennk419 wrote:It's raining like crazy again, wonder what's sitting up there tonight?
Edit: NWS just issued a Flood Warning for Bucks at 6:49. Here we flow again.
Not to worry. The current hydrologic prediction is for the creek to crest just at flood stage, nowhere near what's needed to threaten the tracks.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Jtgshu wrote:It was probably overlooked and or forgotten about, or like usual, no one made a decision, and the crews who ran the trains last, just did what they were told.
JT, you may not have known this, but SEPTA's chief officer for rail had resigned rather suddenly a few weeks prior to the storm. His replacement came from the paratransit division.
  by Jtgshu

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:It was probably overlooked and or forgotten about, or like usual, no one made a decision, and the crews who ran the trains last, just did what they were told.
JT, you may not have known this, but SEPTA's chief officer for rail had resigned rather suddenly a few weeks prior to the storm. His replacement came from the paratransit division.
I do remember reading that, and well this kinda shows how a failure at the top can trickle all the way down. However, Mr. Mitchell, im SURE someone else in a management position at 1234 Market has been there since before 1999. Also, I believe it was mentioned by maybe ex-budd man above, that it was mentioned to Transportation dept about the flooding in Trenton before the storm... I wouldn't accept the sudden departure of someone as an excuse as to what happened.

Seems to me like upper management has totally alienated themselves from the rest of the company and no one is helping them when it comes to decision making and feedback.

As we say at work, "obey"

"you want me to do what?" "okkkaayyyyy whatever you say, you're the boss..." The last thing you do is question someone in authorities decision making abilities, they will bring you up on insubordination charges. No matter how braindead or stupid it might be, so long as its not unsafe. Of course, if there is a two way line of communication or at least a one and a half way line of communcation (management listening to half of what the blue collars say) there might be some kind of working together for the company and the passengers and taxpayers. Until then, its gonna be me me me, and everyone is gonna cover their own ass. And let the stupid decisions be made by "the all knowings" and let them suffer the consequences of them....

But that's my 1.5 cents as an outsiders view on this whole disaster....but I bet im not too far off.....
  by silverlinerfan22

From today's Inquirer, a statement from Hopkins said it all..." The creek crested at 14.6 feet in a 1976 storm, but that was before SEPTA took over operations of the railroad." So I guess, in his opinion, because SEPTA now runs it, the creek could never get that high again!

Also the article pointed out both Amtrak and NJT moved their equipment.
  by Matthew Mitchell

silverlinerfan22 wrote:From today's Inquirer, a statement from Hopkins said it all..." The creek crested at 14.6 feet in a 1976 storm, but that was before SEPTA took over operations of the railroad." So I guess, in his opinion, because SEPTA now runs it, the creek could never get that high again!
But T.S. Floyd did flood the railroad in 1999, when SEPTA was operating. http://acm.jhu.edu/~sthurmovik/Railpics ... ne-mud.jpg (H.T.: Jersey Mike)
  by BuddSilverliner269

scotty269 wrote:I rode from Jenkintown to Temple today, and everything looked good on the way down. We went slow through JENK South and 16th Street, but no other noticeable infrastructure damage remained.
I just read this whole thread from the beginning and saw this post. I'm assuming either the train you were riding was following another train or in the case at Jenk south to the 1st curve south Septa has blue S and R signs and they are there permanently and if there's a flood warning then trains must run in those areas at restricted speed. There is that stream that runs along track 1 south of Jenkintown station.
  by Launcher

He practically blames Amtrak for 5 of the 12 totalled cars. They only would have left Trenton, if Amtrak hadn't shut down their whole system.
Wow, you're kidding right? what about the other 7?

At what precise time did Amtrak shut down the line? I had heard 1700 hours Saturday on the news. The trains are scheduled to depart at 1601 (#9724) and 1700 (#9726). I fully expect the #9726 was cancelled. Are they talking about #9724? Did that run get cancelled also?

I wonder why initial reports from the media indicated that these cars would not be disrupted. Did they think they could just pour dry rice on the tracks, like, and hope for the best?

Let's cut them some slack, though. Whatever notes on operating procedure they had probably got flood damaged in 1999 September.
  by zebrasepta

6595 was on time at Lansdale
By the time we reached Temple U. we were 14 minutes late
Restricted speeds between North Wales and Gywnedd Valley and other sections
  by Silverliner II

Launcher wrote:He practically blames Amtrak for 5 of the 12 totalled cars. They only would have left Trenton, if Amtrak hadn't shut down their whole system.
Wow, you're kidding right? what about the other 7?

At what precise time did Amtrak shut down the line? I had heard 1700 hours Saturday on the news. The trains are scheduled to depart at 1601 (#9724) and 1700 (#9726). I fully expect the #9726 was cancelled. Are they talking about #9724? Did that run get cancelled also?
The "other 7" being the Bomber set, that would have been parked there since Friday evening. With some pre-planning, that train could have been moved to Center City or elsewhere Friday night or even during the day Saturday before Amtrak shut down. Likewise with Amtrak shutting down at 5pm Saturday, they could have combined the MU's into one train and gotten them out earlier, even if it meant stopping service prior to 5pm for Trenton trains....
  by Jersey_Mike

The "other 7" being the Bomber set, that would have been parked there since Friday evening. With some pre-planning, that train could have been moved to Center City or elsewhere Friday night or even during the day Saturday before Amtrak shut down. Likewise with Amtrak shutting down at 5pm Saturday, they could have combined the MU's into one train and gotten them out earlier, even if it meant stopping service prior to 5pm for Trenton trains....
They probably could have gotten away with rolling them up to the "HAM" layover yard as HAM interlocking seemed to avoid the same soaking that FAIR got. Anyway, I don't believe the problem was where to put the trains, but rounding up the people to move them. If operations folk at SEPTA forget something like this (after all, everyone makes mistakes) they can't just pivot and materialize two crews at Trenton. Calling out crews takes time, money and the risk that you might have people stranded somewhere where their cars aren't due to the Hurricane.
  by R3 Passenger

I have two questions here, and I think that they warrant two separate posts given the importance of the topics.

Last night's train 9745 was a bomber set with 6 cars. Which train no longer has a bomber set?