• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Lang, looks like HRR has been a busy beaver to the North of Bulls Bridge Road.

Your first photo was taken in June - same month, June 12 to be more precise, when SKS had its Alumni Weekend.

So by October , they laid the crossties and scoured up some ballast, but the rail just sits there.

Oh well, put that same "lipstick on the pig " up in Kent where US 7 X's at the station, and everyone will think "they fixed up the railroad".

But don't tell that to any wildlife down at Boardman's Bridge who may have on the wrong end of the spill there. Or same for that at Gaylordsville during June.

What a joke of a railroad!!!!!
  by Dick H

Had the P&W owners not decided to take the money and run, the P&W might have'
been interested in the HRRC if Hanlon had decided to "retire". With their "can do"
attitude, which is likely to be history under the G&W bean counter, if the downhill
slide of the NECR is any indication, the P&W would have had a much improved
operation if the HRRC within a year or two.

FYI, the NECR has had choked yards and numerous major slow orders taking over
the main line trackage already after the federal $$$$ track rebuild.
  by NortheastRail

Dick H wrote:FYI, the NECR has had choked yards and numerous major slow orders taking over
care to elaborate on where the "numerous major slow orders" are?
  by Jeff Smith

You know, if HRRC would team up with DRM, and repair relations with BSRM, they could have quite a nice little tourist line there as well. But first, they'd have to reinvest in the track.

<crickets....>
  by Greg Moore

Yeah, I think the HRRC needs to find someone with some pockets.
That said, due to my childhood, I have a fondness for it and I'm semi-serious about being interested in finding a way to do something with it if the opportunity did arise.
  by J.D. Lang

Paging WATCO, Paging WATCO, Paging Prescolli.

I also grew up along the line and have a special fondness for it. So sad. :(

J.L.
  by Jeff Smith

FWIW, HRRC took a LONG stretch of OOS track and revived it. We're harsh on them here because we all have a soft spot for the Berkshire and Maybrook lines, and see how valuable they are, not to mention historic. However they got "here", they are, at least, here, and not discussing a rail trail.

It is a shame P&W couldn't obtain the track before the G&W takeover. But at least IP and WATCO are still out there (and G&W for that matter, and some other short line families). IP seems like it would be a natural fit, and if they could lease some DRM equipment (for that matter, they could lease actually functioning equipment from Naugy). Get a strategic partnership with CtDOT, the way HRRC did with MassDOT, some grant money, it could work.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I do echo Mr. Smith's thoughts that without the operating authority over state owned lines in Massachusetts, very simply there would not be a railroad.

But, since independent privately held Short Lines are exempt from any public financial disclosure, who knows the outfit's financial health? As has been noted at this topic, all the talk of restored passenger service is "just that" in.the hope of getting public funds to rebuild the property.

But what potential has this "T-Bone" road with one interchange got? As I noted last June to a younger Alum, if they ever dared to handle HAZMAT (could they lawfully do so?), I'd hate to think of such trapped between Bull Mountain to the East and Spooner Hill to the West near School.

One must wonder if they even have any kind of active industrial development activity. It seems like all they get is "bottom of the barrel" traffic - garbage, raw materials, supposedly some lumber - and could they ever attract more like an auto assembly plant.

So here it sits as some kind of a joke waiting for the next "spill" with its shippers of last resort comprising their traffic base.
  by ebtmikado

Jeff Smith wrote:Paging Iowa Pacific.... paging Iowa Pacific
Iowa Pacific is broke, and possibly going belly up.

Lee
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Dick H wrote:Had the P&W owners not decided to take the money and run, the P&W might have'
been interested in the HRRC if Hanlon had decided to "retire". With their "can do"
attitude, which is likely to be history under the G&W bean counter, if the downhill
slide of the NECR is any indication, the P&W would have had a much improved
operation if the HRRC within a year or two.

FYI, the NECR has had choked yards and numerous major slow orders taking over
P&W--or any G&W arm--never had interest in the Berkshire. It's well below the threshold of the kind of upside G&W collects when it goes buying, and since all things P&W are bullseyed on the Worcester nerve center the second remote flank to CSX in Pittsfield never made a lick of strategic sense (even before considering the repair bill).

The Maybrook is still a different story even post-merger: they've got business (and business prospects) in Danbury to exploit, Metro North congestion makes it more difficult than it needs to be to get out there during the day, and the Walk Bridge construction is going to wreak havoc on them. Competently-maintained, Devon-Derby-Danbury is still the superior route for them and they'd much prefer to use their overhead rights there instead of Devon-Norwalk. Now, they're not going to be the ones to overpay for that track, or else P&W would've done it already. But both P&W and their new owners are well aware of how untenable a situation HRRC is becoming and are still waiting for the first shoe to drop on state action. G&W knew full well when sizing up P&W that the clock is ticking on Walk Bridge and how that increases the pressure on CDOT to make a move, and they're plugged into all that HRRC/CDOT scuttlebutt with headquarters being a stone's throw away down in Darien. I doubt the overall plan to exert their trackage rights--or seek full-on local rights--Derby-Danbury once the state "fixes the glitch" so-to-speak has changed much. They won't be seeking anything more than that, of course, but the value proposition of a flexible-use connection to Danbury is just as solid post-merger as it was pre-.

The Berkshire would be of definite interest to a fixer-upper indie willing to roll up its sleeves. Think A.J. Beliveau of CNZR or John Delli Priscoli of Grafton & Upton...who've both done more with less. Or, I guess Iowa Pacific might have some look-see interest given the presence of DRM and Berkshire Scenic on the corridor, although I think that's a stretch given that their usual buys aren't quite as 'rustic' a fixer-upper as this. But its right-sized place is a zit little reporting mark that can make a go of it with threadbare margins and synergies with the passenger excursion resources, not anything even rising to CSOR's size or corporate-owner connections.
  by Greg Moore

Remind me, what was (is?) the connection on the southern end?

Is there still possibility of access over to Poughkeepsie (the name "Hospital Branch") comes to mind.

The problem, as discussed in another forum, is there's not much manufacturing in CT these days, especially stuff further south that you might get lots of car loads out of.
  by Ridgefielder

In-service connection on the Southern end is the MNR Danbury Branch to South Norwalk. Maybrook Line is o/o/s east of Newtown, but there's a connection there to the Naugatuck at Derby. To the west there's a connection to the MNR Harlem Division at Towner's but the Maybrook west of White St. in Danbury is even more o/o/s than the tracks to Derby; last time I was up there, there were 3'-4' trees growing in the gauge.

No access to Beacon any more, there's a bridge out. The tracks between Hopewell Jct. and Poughkeepsie have been gone for decades; when Conrail used this as a through route the trains were routed over the old Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut from Beacon to Hopewell, then east on the Maybrook main. Extensive discussion of the uses of this line over in the Metro-North forum-- MN owns from the NY State line west to the river.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Question to Mr. Dudley, or anyone;

Is HRR traffic, other than that they don't have to haul it as far to their one and only interchange with the B&A, within Massachusetts any more lucrative than that in Connecticut ( yeah, Mr. Android knows how to spell full names of those states)?