• Hoosier State Discussion (both Amtrak and Iowa Pacific)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55D186A3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above is a pic posted by someone named Nikki Burgess on facebook.

Interestingly, although this trip is a return from the paintshop to Chicago, only the FH and (2) lead E's are painted. The trailing ex-IC E9 and ex-MARC coaches are still in their old look. Anybody know what's up here?

Also, I have no reason to believe this will happen, but wouldn't Iowa Pacific make a great home for the Metra F40C's once they're finally retired? Perhaps for the second frequency of the HS?
  by mtuandrew

Greg Moore wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:BTW: There is another extension - Amtrak will continue to run Amtrak equipment through the end of June. The service remains safe from interruption.
And odds before there's another extension in a month? And another after that, and so on?

Pretty soon we''ll have even odds on which will happen first, the Sunset Limited "east' comes back or this stops being run by Amtrak.
Source & Fair-Use quote: http://www.wthr.com/story/28953817/amtr ... enger-line" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WTHR Channel 13 wrote:May 1, 2015, LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Amtrak and Indiana officials are giving themselves another 60 days to reach long-term deals with a private contractor that will help operate a passenger line between Indianapolis and Chicago.

Amtrak and the Indiana Department of Transportation announced Thursday they've extended their operations agreement for the Hoosier State line for a fourth time, through June 30.
Maybe they really do have an equipment problem... here's WTHR's photo of the new Hoosier State trainset:
:P
  by justalurker66

mtuandrew wrote:Maybe they really do have an equipment problem... here's WTHR's photo of the new Hoosier State trainset:
Image :P
Uh ... no. That is a file photo that is NOT identified as the new service. Just to be clear in case someone missed the smiley.

Pictures of the real IP Hoosier State trainset are available on the internet.
  by ACeInTheHole

Tadman wrote:https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55D186A3

Interestingly, although this trip is a return from the paintshop to Chicago, only the FH and (2) lead E's are painted. The trailing ex-IC E9 and ex-MARC coaches are still in their old look. Anybody know what's up here?

Also, I have no reason to believe this will happen, but wouldn't Iowa Pacific make a great home for the Metra F40C's once they're finally retired? Perhaps for the second frequency of the HS?
More FHs are en route or there.
  by mtuandrew

Tadman wrote:https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55D186A3

I'd rather the F40Cs went to IRM, personally. Not that they don't have life in them, they just could use a more secure home that isn't subject to market whims!

And what's this about E-units? Were they just other units that WSOR painted for IP, or is there something Indiana-related in store?
  by Tadman

Regarding E's, IP bought the CN/IC executive E's still in grey/black. CN kept the two in green. I asked my question because the FH was going back to Chicago in new paint while the E wasn't, nor was the ex-MARC/PRR cars slated for use on Hoosier STate.
  by Backshophoss

Having the coaches and other units along would allow for track speed running,instead of a lower speed lite engine move
back to Chicago.
Amtrak and NJT do the same thing on the NEC.
Just grab a coach or cafe and you can run track speed. :wink:
  by electricron

The last extension with Amtrak was valid until June 30th. Will Iowa Pacific's rolling stock be ready by July 1st? Does anyone have a later update?
  by justalurker66

The new train should be back in Indy for staging.
Test runs were made on Thursday Night/Friday and Sunday between Indianapolis and Chicago (following Amtrak).
The run back to Indy was reported as being a deadhead part of 850(28).
  by Tadman

Question regarding the power - what kind of shape are those ex-Jersey geeps in? They were rebuilt maybe 20 years ago but NJT is not a low-impact operation. Perhaps IP has gone through them thoroughly, I don't have any information leading me to believe anything is wrong. Just curious.
  by Gilbert B Norman

If there is any foundation to Mr. Lurker's reports, this one looks like a go. The newly updated Amtrak website (I think it's a +++), however, does not reflect any change at this time.

However, nothing upsets the fact that how many passengers are interested in a service that takes 5'05" and that can safely be driven in 3'15". I did the latter about two weeks ago. It would appear the only saving grace is the dirt cheap fare of some $56 for the round trip. This compares with the direct, as distinct from fully allocated, cost of operating my auto down there and back of $143.98.

The Business Class, Dome, and on-board F&B will probably be a pull for the railfan and IP managers doing a "quickie" joyride; not sure about how many others - especially when they must stumble over the imaging gear manned by all too often persons lacking the basics of tact and discretion, but of course attired in distinctive T-Shirts ready to give a narrative on whatever that shirt depicts.

Oh and finally for that joyride; "train car" rooms at Crowne Plaza located at Union Station are about $169, depending of course on supply and demand.
  by justalurker66

Gilbert B Norman wrote:... - especially when they must stumble over the imaging gear manned by all too often persons lacking the basics of tact and discretion, but of course attired in distinctive T-Shirts ready to give a narrative on whatever that shirt depicts.
Are you attempting to slam railfans who might take pictures in the dome car? If so you could be less obtuse about it.

I am sure that once the IP train starts running there will be new riders that come solely to ride the new equipment. I am happy to see people pay the fare. Once the novelty has worn off regular riders and those impressed by a serious attempt at better rail service will fill the cars.

Improvements have to start somewhere. This is a good first step with better schedules and more trains possible once the service gets a good reboot.
  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote:Question regarding the power - what kind of shape are those ex-Jersey geeps in? They were rebuilt maybe 20 years ago but NJT is not a low-impact operation. Perhaps IP has gone through them thoroughly, I don't have any information leading me to believe anything is wrong. Just curious.
Mr Ellis reports that the engines have recently been overhauled. Preparing the train for service was more than a paint job. :)
  by electricron

You Tube videos of Iowa Pacific's Hoosier State testing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztW4uPaG5A0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8u0Gig60Eo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like there are two ex-NJT GP-40FH-2 locomotives (#4135 and #4317), one Big Dome, one smooth side coach , and one fluted side coach.

The smooth side coach is Dyersburg? (Marc & UP heritage)
The fluted side coach is DuQuoin. (SP heritage)
Is the big dome Summit View or Scenic View? (ATSF heritage)
I read somewhere the Summit View would be the first in service on the Hoosier State and that the Scenic View would be available as backup.
  by Gilbert B Norman

justalurker66 wrote:I am sure that once the IP train starts running there will be new riders that come solely to ride the new equipment. I am happy to see people pay the fare. Once the novelty has worn off regular riders and those impressed by a serious attempt at better rail service will fill the cars.

Improvements have to start somewhere. This is a good first step with better schedules and more trains possible once the service gets a good reboot.
Mr. Lurker, you do raise the good point that the common denominator is "Green".

I'm certain that Iowa Pacific will make every reasonable effort to provide an exemplary travel experience in the areas over which they have control. After all, this is their first venture into basic Point A to Point B transportation. However, improvements over the existing "one a day" on a 5hr schedule, convenient "of sorts" to Lafayette but not really to Indianapolis, are not exactly "just around the bend".