• Heads up: Freightliner Class 70s on Q382 - 1/22

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by wurlitzer153

I just wanted let the people east of here know that Q382 tonight has a pair of Class 70s bound for England. I saw them EB at 9PM in Lake City, PA. It was too dark to get a good look at them, the train was fast and I was inside the trackside diner, so all I really saw was the Freightliner lettering.

Reports over on trainorders say they were numbered 70019 and 70020 and were spotted in Willard.

My question is: why did these Erie built GEs go west to Willard, and then back east through Erie?
  by Aji-tater

Frieghtliner? I thought that was a truck, like Kenworth and Peterbilt.

As for the routing CSX is famous for running cars hundreds of extra miles in the wrong direction just because they don't want to make an extra stop along the way.
  by Steve F45

i cought one about a month ago coming down the riverline. There have been 2 other times that i've heard about them coming down the riverline to the nj ports for boat loading to england.
  by FarmallBob

joshuahouse wrote:Is it no longer possible to ship international freight from Erie, or do they go to New Jersey because there is more freight leaving for the UK from there?
The St Lawrence Seaway (Welland Canal/St Lawrence Locks) winter shutdown runs from mid-December thru late March. Thus no direct (shipboard) international freight is loaded at Erie this time of year.

...FB
  by roadster

Saw them tonight around 10pm, sitting on 2 Receiving at Selkirk yard. I expect, they'll be put placed on the short connection waiting for a train S Bd.
  by Leo_Ames

They ship them out through the Welland Canal and then the St. Lawrence Seaway after loading them at Erie when they're open for navigation. Most of the sisters of these two locomotives have been loaded aboard ship in Erie.

That's how a sister of these two locomotives, the 70012 (Which was notable for being destroyed in a unloading accident off the ship that delivered her in South Whales before ever having turned a wheel in revenue service) was routed to the UK, for instance.
  by tree68

Aji-tater wrote:Frieghtliner? I thought that was a truck, like Kenworth and Peterbilt.
Tee hee. Just got a chuckle thinking about some motorhead driving down the highway and spotting one of these, and immediately thinking that maybe Freightliner (the truck company) was branching out....
  by waldwickrailfan

Any information about when it will leave Selkirk to the River Line?
  by wurlitzer153

Another heads up for those of you to the east. A mixed freight came through Mentor this evening with several interurban cars bringing up the rear. I didn't get a clear train ID, but I think it was Q380.
  by wurlitzer153

Perhaps we should rename this thread as a general heads-up thread?

Another group of commuter cars headed WB on Q380 Sunday night. Passed Madison, Ohio at 10:30. Does anybody have any more information on them?