Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Roadgeek Adam

I figured as much, but it was an interesting experience.
  by nomis

Per a CDOT press release, CTrail Hartford Line Rail Service Scheduled to Launch June 16 & Commemorative Inaugural Event to be Held Friday, June 15
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) today announced it will launch the Hartford Line rail service with an inaugural event on Friday, June 15. Following the commemorative event, free weekend train service will operate on Saturday and Sunday, June 16 and 17. Full, expanded weekday service will begin on June 18 with trains running approximately every 45 minutes during the morning and evening peak periods. A total of 17 trains a day will operate between New Haven and Hartford and 12 trains will operate daily between Hartford and Springfield, Massachusetts. The line will provide direct or connecting service to New York City, Boston and Vermont.

“This expanded service will transform travel options in the corridor between New Haven and Springfield, Massachusetts, and it will be a catalyst for economic development, and business and recreational travel.” said CTDOT Commissioner James P. Redeker. “Getting new service on this line has been a monumental undertaking that has taken years of intense coordination to ensure the successful opening of service. I want to commend the team that has made this a reality. Even before the commencement of service, the State’s investment has already attracted new commercial and residential development and has become the latest engine driving Connecticut’s economy.”

CTDOT managed the full reconstruction of the rail line, including all new ballast, track, bridges, culverts, signals and grade-crossings. New train stations and parking have been constructed in Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin. Trains will be able to operate at speeds as high as 110 miles an hour, and a trip from Springfield to New Haven will take 81 minutes. The project was financed by three federal grants and state funds.

“The Hartford Line will provide the most frequent train service delivered to date under the Federal Railroad Administration intercity passenger rail grant programs begun in the Obama administration. I commend the team at the DOT for the extraordinary job they have done to make what was once just a dream become a reality, Commissioner Redeker said. “The delivery of this new rail service is a model for the country and Connecticut should take immense pride in this achievement and celebrate not just the completion of the construction, but the beginning of a bright new transportation and economic development future for the state.”

Information about the new train schedules and fares can be found at http://www.hartfordline.com. Details of the June 15 event will be released in coming weeks.
  by daybeers

I'm not surprised in the slightest to see this new date, especially since the DOT said the last of the four new locomotives won't be ready until June. What I don't get is why they're still claiming the trains will run at 110 mph. Isn't that in the next phase, when new equipment will be ordered and there will be more trains offered over the entire route?
  by nomis

It's since the shuttles will be able to reach speeds of 110mph on the line, and your CDOT ticket is cross-honored.
  by daybeers

I know Amtrak will be cross-honoring, but when did they upgrade the Class 4 track to Class 6? There definitely wasn't enough money in the budget to do that.
  by NH2060

Class 4 is 80mph. Class 6 is 110. Class 8 is 150.
http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for there being not enough money in the budget to upgrade to Class 6 are you kidding me?? If $769 Million is not enough to add 15-20(?) miles of double iron including small bridges, build only 3 new stations, upgrade the signal system, and raise the top speed to 110 where possible I don't know what amount would be. A good portion of the line will be good for 110mph, if not 90. It's a relatively straight route between New Haven and Hartford with some curvature between Wallingford and Meriden and between Berlin and Newington. And where there are curves they're pretty wide in comparison to the Shore Line.
Last edited by NH2060 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

correct :
Track type Freight train Passenger
Excepted <10 mph (16 km/h) not allowed
Class 1 10 mph (16 km/h) 15 mph (24 km/h)
Class 2 25 mph (40 km/h) 30 mph (48 km/h)
Class 3 40 mph (64 km/h) 60 mph (97 km/h)
Class 4 60 mph (97 km/h) 80 mph (129 km/h)
Class 5 80 mph (129 km/h) 90 mph (145 km/h)
Class 6 110 mph (177 km/h)
Class 7 125 mph (201 km/h)
Class 8 160 mph (257 km/h)
Class 9 220 mph (354 km/h).

and CTrail cars are limited to 90 max both the MBB's and the Mafersa's .
  by daybeers

NH2060 wrote:Class 4 is 80mph. Class 6 is 110. Class 8 is 150.
http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for there being not enough money in the budget to upgrade to Class 6 are you kidding me?? If $769 Million is not enough to add 15-20(?) miles of double iron including small bridges, build only 3 new stations, upgrade the signal system, and raise the top speed to 110 where possible I don't know what amount would be. A good portion of the line will be good for 110mph, if not 90. It's a relatively straight route between New Haven and Hartford with some curvature between Wallingford and Meriden and between Berlin and Newington. And where there are curves they're pretty wide in comparison to the Shore Line.
Hey I don't know man! Connecticut's budget is absolutely awful right now, especially their Special Transportation Fund. CT has messed up this project quite a bit already, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't get around to upgrading.
DutchRailnut wrote:...CTrail cars are limited to 90 max both the MBB's and the Mafersa's.
Do you know if some of the track was upgraded for 110 mph operation?
  by daybeers

Found a video that confirms this. I put the link to where the speaker, John E. Bernick, Assistant Rail Administrator of Connecticut DOT, says "...right now the speed on the line is limited to 80 miles per hour. That's due to the signal system. We replaced the entire signal system...so the maximum speed on the line goes from 80 to 110."
  by daybeers

When the Berlin station opens in "Early May," will it just be one high-level platform?! That's what this article makes it seem like. Also, this Program Update on the NHHS website adds a note when they shared that article, saying "Note: When the CTrail Hartford Line Berlin station partially opens in May, 172 out of the 220-space parking lot will be available. Once construction is fully complete in the fall, the remaining 48 spaces will open. In addition, southbound and northbound trains can run on both sides of the tracks. There is no dedicated side for southbound or northbound trains. Track direction will vary as conditions require." It would really be ridiculous if Berlin only had one high-level platform open at service launch.
  by lordsigma12345

Pretty sure it has a high level platform on each side. I think they might just be saying that north and south bound trains may not consistently use the same track so you may always need to check which track your train is boarding on.
  by Train322

They have two platforms but the section of platform that is located near where the old (burned and removed) station building was will not be open such that the east platform (mostly for northbound trains) will be shorter than when finally completed.

THis is
With respect to Berlin.
  by daybeers

So the east platform will be operational, but will be a little shorter than when it's finally completed (hopefully at the end of 2018)?