Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Roadgeek Adam

Interesting thing. I visited the 3 stations on Saturday evening (Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin). At Meriden, people were waiting for a train to New Haven. When came southbound (25 minutes late for a 6:19 arrival at MDN), the conductors told them not to board.

We were curious what was going on if someone has an answer.
  by BandA

The foam padding in the original 2+2 MBB flippable seats failed. I assume the seats will be replaced or reupholstered before going back into service, if not already. 2+2 flippable seats is the way god intended CR seating.
  by lordsigma12345

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Interesting thing. I visited the 3 stations on Saturday evening (Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin). At Meriden, people were waiting for a train to New Haven. When came southbound (25 minutes late for a 6:19 arrival at MDN), the conductors told them not to board.

Was it an Amtrak or one of the Hartford Line test train?

The line was not running any passenger trains on Saturday as they were doing some work at Windsor station that required no trains running and all of Amtrak's were cancelled and replaced by bussing. Might have been a Hartford Line test train running between New Haven and Hartford.
  by Roadgeek Adam

lordsigma12345 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Interesting thing. I visited the 3 stations on Saturday evening (Wallingford, Meriden and Berlin). At Meriden, people were waiting for a train to New Haven. When came southbound (25 minutes late for a 6:19 arrival at MDN), the conductors told them not to board.

Was it an Amtrak or one of the Hartford Line test train?

The line was not running any passenger trains on Saturday as they were doing some work at Windsor station that required no trains running and all of Amtrak's were cancelled and replaced by bussing. Might have been a Hartford Line test train running between New Haven and Hartford.
I suspected the test train, but it answers why nothing was on time anywhere. But it was the new older ConnDOT equipment with people aboard.
  by Larry

by lordsigma12345 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 pm
Anyone know which work is being completed on Saturday? Is this for the switches or the work in Windsor?

I just checked at the former Fish Fry street crossing and no switch was placed in, it is still there off to the side and more track panels on top of it. Not sure why it was not placed this past Saturday but they built up more track for it when it does go in.

Amtrak Windsor Station brick platform was raised and new cement curbing's placed in. This was done because track one, the main track now, needs to move in toward the station so they can have the new standard separation for two tracks. Lots of work still to be done at this location.
  by lordsigma12345

Larry wrote:by lordsigma12345 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:27 pm
Anyone know which work is being completed on Saturday? Is this for the switches or the work in Windsor?

I just checked at the former Fish Fry street crossing and no switch was placed in, it is still there off to the side and more track panels on top of it. Not sure why it was not placed this past Saturday but they built up more track for it when it does go in.

Amtrak Windsor Station brick platform was raised and new cement curbing's placed in. This was done because track one, the main track now, needs to move in toward the station so they can have the new standard separation for two tracks. Lots of work still to be done at this location.
Thanks for that info. So far no further Amtrak shutdowns scheduled on the line, however this upcoming weekend is a state holiday weekend in Mass (not sure if CT has the holiday also) but maybe they are avoiding work next weekend due to that. Maybe they are going to do some of the disruptive work remaining at night. Good few hours overnight when no Amtrak trains run, though I do not know what the freight schedule on the line is.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

Roadgeek Adam wrote:I suspected the test train, but it answers why nothing was on time anywhere. But it was the new older ConnDOT equipment with people aboard.
Saw the MARC cab car Amtrak test train in GCT a couple weeks ago, you would have thought it was a revenue train with the amount of people riding. My guess is it wasn't just the crew qualifying the SPG line then...but a bunch of people who work for Herzog or whatever taking a ride too.
  by Larry

After today, AMTRAK has just the last 25 to 30 yards of 2nd track left to go to connect to interlocking and the bridges that cross rte 159 Windsor CT. They had the track connected all the way through Central street crossing and about 25 yards short to connect it to the controlled siding that goes North over the Farmington River and just short of Windsor Locks station by about 1/2 to 3/4 mile or so. I believe tonight they are putting in the cement blocks for that tracks crossing at Central Street. Then they just need a few more panel tracks (already built) to place in to connect up the interlocking. I still do not know if that switch at that inter locking will stay in or not, most likely it will not. Once this is completed and the track is all smoothed out, I think they will switch everything over to the new 2nd track into Hartford from Windsor so that they can move and fix all the crossings still left to be done on the old main and move this track over about 8 inches they said.
  by Larry

Concrete blocks was placed back in a Central Street Windsor crossing on the new 2nd track and rough tar placed down so that when they move track one over they can then fix that crossing as well.
Also went to Berlin Station, work is progressing but slowly and I still see that the track from Pan Am is still not connected coming East from New Britain to heading South to New Haven. I don't even see a switch panel made up at this point but the line has been graded.
  by lordsigma12345

It sounds like there may be a major announcement during Governor Malloy’s appearance at the ribbon cutting next week for the Meriden Station, possibly the service launch date. Hopefully all other unanswered questions will be answered shortly thereafter.

Besides the rolling stock issues there is the remaining track work to be done In Windsor. In addition as I mentioned in an earlier post I had heard somewhere that Amtrak needs additional crew rest/staging space at the Springfield crew base for the additional Amtrak and Hartford line crew members that will be there when the new trains begin. If that’s indeed the case they’ll need to get the Amtrak agents and waiting area moved into the newly renovated Union Station to make room. The ticket machines for the Hartford line were installed in Union Station and not the current Amtrak station which would hint this may finally happen soon.

Furthermore there will also be an upcoming pretty sizeable platform upgrade at Springfield sometime soon if they finally solidify the design. Will be interesting to see how that effects operations there when that project is going on. I would imagine given the width issues some tracks may need to be shifted slightly.
  by NH2060

More uncertainty that the line will open next month:
The last of the four rebuilt locomotives Connecticut transportation officials say are needed to operate the new Hartford Line commuter service won’t be ready until early June, according to documents supplied to lawmakers this week.

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy’s administration has been promising that the long-awaited and often-delayed New Haven-Hartford-Springfield commuter line would be launched in May. But Department of Transportation officials in recent weeks have refused to say whether they will be able to start the service next month.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-news ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by DutchRailnut

Told you so, told you so, told you told you told you so .......
  by Roadgeek Adam

This is the equipment I saw (photo taken by myself):

As noted, they did not let anyone on.