• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by rd5260

Went by N grafton today and there are 2 tank cars in the yard. Loco #1750 has new numbers on it , no lettering yet... Also heard they have a customer that will be using the former salt bagging shed in west upton. The building needs a roof and rehab so not sure how soon that will happen.
  by slashmaster

rd5260 wrote:Went by N grafton today and there are 2 tank cars in the yard. Loco #1750 has new numbers on it , no lettering yet... Also heard they have a customer that will be using the former salt bagging shed in west upton. The building needs a roof and rehab so not sure how soon that will happen.
Interesting, could you see any tank trucks to unload them? Or do you think CSX put them there because they are bad order?
  by rd5260

My guess, with the recent grading that they did in the N Grafton yard ,is that they will unload there. Maybe only until they can make it to Upton which should be soon....
  by slashmaster

I just took another look. Looks like they painted the caboose black, swapped out the trucks, put the steps on but still didn't paint horizontal stripes on the ends. They also tore off the rest of the roof on that cinder block building where they put salt. Doesn't look like they did any more trackwork in West Upton but from what I could see it looks like they tamped and spiked the ties to Carrol street.
  by Ridgefielder

That's a pretty sharp-looking loco! Nice paint job.
  by g-u-rr

I noticed at the edge of the excavation work in the North Grafton yard that there were a few old-looking granite blocks pushed to the side. Are these remnants of the old turntable pit area that came to surface with the recent work done up there? I had read about a turntable that was up there before the line was electrified. :-)
  by SkiScorcher88

It's not much, but here's a picture & a short clip:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39440575@N ... 947517290/
http://www.youtube.com/user/SkiScorcher ... 0JDQ9zJQsQ
As you can see in the photo, there's a row of stone next to the track and one that curves off to the right in the distance. I guess these areas will eventually receive new sidings (there is a whole slew of ties opposite of the depot). Also, the CF7 received its letters & numbers (1500). Lastly, they pulled out all of the empty hopper cars from behind Washington Mills that have been sitting there for months, clearing the way to Upton.
  by NNR

Any idea when they will make the first run to Upton or is there even a need to run to upton? Also what happened to the alco? and what did they do with those hoppers that where stored?
  by slashmaster

NNR wrote:Any idea when they will make the first run to Upton or is there even a need to run to upton? Also what happened to the alco? and what did they do with those hoppers that where stored?
Good question on when they make the first run. The hoppers are in the yard. It would make sense to do the first run as soon as the MOW is out of the way just to get those hoppers out of the yard.
  by BSRR

NNR wrote:Any idea when they will make the first run to Upton or is there even a need to run to upton? Also what happened to the alco? and what did they do with those hoppers that where stored?
The Alco is still there.
  by g-and-u-watcher

QB 52.32 wrote:A couple of articles out today regarding Mr. Priscoli showcasing his work with the G&U to Lt Gov Tim Murray.
Thanks! And here's the Milford Daily News:
By Krista Perry/Daily News staff
Milford Daily News
Posted Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:47 AM
Last update Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:49 AM

Grafton & Upton Railroad owner Jon Delli Priscoli showed Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray his "economic engine" yesterday as they toured the railyards in North Grafton, Upton and Hopedale.
http://www.milforddailynews.com/homepag ... mic-growth