• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by slashmaster

Nice pic Benden. I also took a look in West Upton a couple days back. Looks like they are replacing the broken or missing bolts and joints working north.
  by jimw

My dad lives on Railroad Ave. and was going for a walk today and noticed that the G&U name has been removed yellow and green caboose and it has been moved from its original location. Any thoughts as to why?
  by SkiScorcher88

I noticed in the pictures from last week that they removed the paint from the caboose (and revealed the MEC logo/lettering underneath). Has anyone seen if they have done anything since then?
  by Otto Vondrak

jimw wrote:My dad lives on Railroad Ave. and was going for a walk today and noticed that the G&U name has been removed yellow and green caboose and it has been moved from its original location. Any thoughts as to why?
Probably getting ready to repaint, probably stripping off old paint to the bare metal to get a good finish.
  by CVRA7

I agree, Otto - this seems to be the way they've started the repainting of their other equipment. They'd better hurry as the days of outdoor painting weather will be ending soon!
  by slashmaster

SkiScorcher88 wrote:I noticed in the pictures from last week that they removed the paint from the caboose (and revealed the MEC logo/lettering underneath). Has anyone seen if they have done anything since then?
What pictures are you refering to? I only found the ones where they cut down the trees and vegetation by the school. I saw the caboose today, he painted those boxcar ends the same yellow for the stripes. You can just imagine how difficult it's going to be to put horizontal masking over corrugation like that! I also noticed they parked the tie inserter on Carrol street instead of by the body shop so maybe they are more than halfway done replacing ties between those 2 crossings?
  by rd5260

I saw two more trailer loads of ties in Grafton this morning,there must be alot of new ties between the center of town and Carrol rd.....They were also instaling some drainage in Upton at Hartford ave.Ther was also 4 or 5 covered hopper cars in N. Grafton,don't know if they are for the mill or not.
  by rd5260

They started laying the ties for the new switch in the west upton yard
  by rd5260

They have quite a bit of the new siding in too, I'll try and get some pictures.....
  by slashmaster

thebigham wrote:^Thanks!

What does the switch lead to?
So far, another switch.