• GMTX GP38 #2081 in Pond?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by nyandw

Clear Of BH wrote:What is the horn type on this unit? Thanks.
Nathan AirChime (now Micro Precision) K5LAR24.[/quote]

The reason I asked is to see if it has/had relevance to this LIRR/NYA horn page I have for possible updating:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrho ... rhorns.htm

LIRR #511 K5LA-3rd Gen Photo: Mark Edelman
  by DogBert

I suspect they'll have the mechanic from oak point go to croton and cut the plow. Either that or maybe car dept. Pretty sure they have a truck with a cutting torch at OP.

Plows need to be cut before entering metro north third rail territory. Can't get to the pond without it.
  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:I suspect they'll have the mechanic from oak point go to croton and cut the plow. Either that or maybe car dept. Pretty sure they have a truck with a cutting torch at OP.

Plows need to be cut before entering metro north third rail territory. Can't get to the pond without it.
Plow cutting was completed just an hour ago. Photos show halfway through the process and were taken at about 9:20AM today. The loco will probably be shipped tonight. I'll let you guys know if it does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gregorygrice on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DogBert

I live by the tracks in queens but unless it comes Saturday morning I probably won't see it. the inbound train to fresh pond usually goes by around 5 or 6am. Little too early for me...
  by gregorygrice

DogBert wrote:I live by the tracks in queens but unless it comes Saturday morning I probably won't see it. the inbound train to fresh pond usually goes by around 5 or 6am. Little too early for me...
Doesn't appear to be heading out tonight. I'll wait for Q431 to show up before I confirm that.
  by Uncle Cheapo

It arrived at F Pond
  by gregorygrice

Uncle Cheapo wrote:It arrived at F Pond
Yup went down on Q431 really early in the AM.
  by DogBert

happened to see it come over the bridge at 4am. waaaay too dark for photos obviously.

any word on when 2081 might depart?
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

jayrmli wrote:My guess is it will only be used in trail and/or local operations in Queens where ASC isn't needed...
Since the Lower Montauk is dark (non-signaled) as is the Bay Ridge, it might do plenty of duty over there where ASC is not in use.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

tj48 wrote:Are the horns and the filter box on top of the long hood going to be a problem? The LIRR/NYA GP38-2's had the top of those boxes angled for clearance reasons.
Lowering the horn can be done fairly easily, and I am sure once clearance observations are made, it will be appropriately adjusted.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

gregorygrice wrote:
Q-431 does not run to Fresh Pond, only to Oak Point. From Oak Point, the Mon-Sat transfer, Y-101, took it from Oak Point to Fresh Pond.
  by gregorygrice

MNR's #1 Conductor wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:
Q-431 does not run to Fresh Pond, only to Oak Point. From Oak Point, the Mon-Sat transfer, Y-101, took it from Oak Point to Fresh Pond.
Yes I meant to add that. If they had a through train that would be a pretty complicated job lol.
  by freightguy

I believe they did in the Conrail days. SELI, Selkirk to Long Island. Not sure if it went to Fresh Pond or it just was a solid block of LIRR freight interchange.
  by DogBert

If I recall right in the earlier days of CR they called the run from selkirk to oak point 'SELI' - though at the end it was SEOP/OPSE. The run from OP to Fresh Pond had a yard job symbol - ''YAOP- some number'.

I don't think it ever ran though from selkirk to fresh pond despite the LI symbol.