• Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

• Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);
Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Jeff Smith

Hwy 80/Northside? That's barely in town, unfortunately, but at least they're getting service. I wondered if that was active or not. Hopefully Howard's will pick up again; they were qutie busy for a while. I checked on Friday and saw log trucks going in and out so that's good, but there were no cars there. I need them to come clear my yard. Anything going on at BF?
  by ashley2771

Well they are on Northside Dr. right next to Kennedy Concrete... I've never noticed cars in there before this week... I haven't gone by Bulloch Fertilizer lately, but there were no cars last time I checked...
  by G&Fman

Train 156 dropped off 3 loads of scrap at Dover for Allied in Metter night before last. Don't know if the crew spotted the cars and left or waited for them to be unloaded and brought back to Dover the same day (like they usually have been doing).
  by mterrell

ashley2771 wrote:GASR has been visiting the Southern States co-op on Hwy. 80 in Statesboro every day this week with covered hoppers... they also kept the 2024 outside Howard Lumber on Tuesday night... do they have second locomotive?
Don't think so. I see 2024 parked at Howard's all the time now. We saw it there 2 days ago and were anticipating watching it take the load out to Dover the next day, but it happened at like 7:30am so we missed it. Saw it going around Statesboro a few hours later with one tanker though. Still not having any luck catching it going to Metter.
  by mterrell

Saw 19 gravel cars being pulled by 2024 through downtown Statesboro Monday. Quite a long consist, maybe business is picking back up. I was very surprised to say the least.
  by Jeff Smith

Wow, never seen that long of a consist. Anyone with an idea of the destination? The concrete plant on 301S maybe? I've got to get some video of that.
  by mterrell

Sarge wrote:Wow, never seen that long of a consist. Anyone with an idea of the destination? The concrete plant on 301S maybe? I've got to get some video of that.
I was at that Pawn Shop over near Dairy Queen when I heard it...I saw the last like...5 cars go across the road until I realized "Wait, it's pulling over 5 cars, let me go check it out". So I drove and caught it going slow enough so that I could get up by 2024 and counted 19 cars...wow.

And then some Vandy's BBQ for lunch :) I wish I had my camera. I'll see what I can do in the next few days; I hear it almost every day now.
  by Jeff Smith

Great catch! Which Vandy's, downtown or mall? Either one, can't beat it. But that's great that it's a daily occurence.
  by Jeff Smith

I did a little digging on Pioneer and GSRY.

http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/

They actually have a gift shop, and included are employee timetables. I did not see one for the GSRY yet though.

http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/Rail%20 ... 202010.xls

They aren't even reflected yet on their operations map. I'd be curious as to how they're doing, although it seems quite well.
  by ashley2771

GSRY pulled empty NS hoppers from Bulloch Fertilizer this morning... first time I have seen cars there in a while...
  by mterrell

Back in the Boro this week for the next few months. I heard the engine and went looking for it yesterday without any luck finding it, but noticed it left a car at Howard Lumber. Nothing at Bulloch Fertilizer. I'll see what I can find over the next week or so. Just thought I'd bump the thread and say I'm back in the area looking for activity.
  by Jeff Smith

I've got some video from yesterday's activity, I'll try to post. They came into Statesboro about 10am with about 12-14 cars. I believe 5 empty centerbeams and one loaded centerbeam for Howard's, and six or so gravel cars for the cement plant on 301S (around Southern States). They parked the gravel hoppers between Grady and Jones, dropped the centerbeams at Howards, left the loaded one outside the gate (strange), went back for the hoppers and took them down. As far as I know, they did not go to Metter.

There are a few public side roads there, but for all intents and purposes their private, and lead only one place behind a fence, but you can see them from out on 301. I don't know if 2024 has gone back to Dover or parked on Zetterower.
  by Champlain Division

Ummm, you guys might want to consider the possibility that this "horn" you keep hearing that fakes you out might just be a stolen horn mounted underneath the bed of a pickup truck. This seems to be popular with hispanic types lately.
  by mterrell

I was in town today and saw 2024 coming in. After lunch I caught it bringing a box car back from Bulloch Fertilizer to Howard Lumber, where it left it and went around to the other side of it, moved some centerbeam cars down a bit further on the tracks into Howard, then attached itself to the box car and left. Later I heard it again but didn't have time to chase after it and see what it had/where it was headed.

I'm not that familiar with the tracks in the area so I went to Google Maps to look at how exactly they run. I looked at how the tracks run from Statesboro to Dover and saw another place I hadn't seen anyone talk about here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... .2,,0,6.27

Does the railroad drop anything off here? The tracks look pretty worn out/overgrown but maybe they're just very frequently used. I do see that the tracks separate from the main line onto a side track that went into the facility on one side and out on the other, but on the other side they are torn up and don't go back to the main line anymore. I thought I'd bring it up here first before driving to look at it. It looks like it's out past the airport a good ways. Funny note - do the "street view" for the other side of the building and you can see the train going past.
  by ashley2771

this is a plant that was previously served but closed a few years ago...