• Georgia Southern Railway (fka Georgia Midland)

• Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);
Web-Site: http://www.pioneer-railcorp.com/index.html: Alabama Railroad Co. (ALAB); Decatur Junction Railway Co. (DT); Elkhart & Western Railroad Co. (EWR); Fort Smith Railroad Co. (FSR); Garden City Western Railway, Inc. (GCW); Gettysburg & Northern Railroad Co. (GET); Georgia Southern Railway Co. (GS); Indiana Southwestern Railway Co. (ISW); Keokuk Junction Railway Co. (KJRY); Kendallville Terminal Railway Co. (KTR); Michigan Southern Railroad Company (MSO); Mississippi Central Railroad Co. (MSCI; Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railway (NDW); Pioneer Industrial Railway Co. (PRY); Ripley & New Albany Railroad Co. (RNA); Shawnee Terminal Railway Company (STR); Vandalia Railroad Co. (VRRC);

Moderator: Aa3rt

by mterrell

Just got back from roaming. Allied Metals in Metter has 2 open hoppers sitting there. No activity spotted anywhere except in Dover, where some NS staff people were sitting around while what looked like some track work was being done north of the wye. Otherwise we didn't see much of anything. We'll try again tomorrow. 4215 was sitting in the exact same spot as last night so I guess Tuesday didn't call for anything to be done.

Edit: Went this evening to Dover - looked like track work was being done north of the wye. Found a dirt road while poking around that parallels the tracks for a while and saw 2024 for the first time coupled to a freight car. I took a picture earlier in the day (first day trip I've made to Dover) that made me think 2024 was hiding down there, so we checked and it was. Workmen evacuated when we arrived due to a slow southbound freight rolling through, so we enjoyed that before calling it a day. Not a bad day after all.
  by G&Fman

Here are a couple I took in Metter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by #CW!!ZERO

Nice pics. Does anyone have any idea as to when the 4215 is leaving permanently? Also does anyone on here know where a Nathan Airchime M5 set of horns have been spotted at? I have always wanted to find those horns and take some pictures. I dont know if any of u guys have been on top of 4215 or 2024, but it is hilarious how the horns are rigged so people won't steal them. The 2024 had a Leslie 3 chime spikeback powerchamber horns, they had actual 1/2 inch bolts that were welded to the bolts that secure the horns to the train so people cant get a wrench even close to around the head of the bolts. And the 4215 had a set of nathan airchime K5 horns with a chain going over them tack welded on both sides making both impossible for people to steal. I dont know if that is a big problem down here but it seems like it if they are going to those extremes.
  by mterrell

Great pics. This morning: nothing at Bulloch Fertilizer, but Howard Lumber has 4 or so loaded cars sitting there. Hopefully I'll be able to hear from campus when they're leaving and catch the outbound train. I don't climb on or mess with anything but that's interesting about the horns. The southbound freight through Dover last night when I was looking around had some interesting horns.

Does anyone have any info on 1325? Is it out of service?

Two pictures from me - track work at Dover yesterday with 2024 and a freight car on the far left track. The other is 4215 in the normal spot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by mterrell

4215 is parked downtown just outside Howard Lumber. Saw it drop off a car at Bulloch Fertilizer, head back through town and park on the branch. I guess it'll be doing some work tomorrow.
  by G&Fman

Last I heard the 1325 needed some of her wheels changed out. Until that's done I figure she'll stay put.

I have no idea when they're planning on shipping the 4215 off. Will try to talk to the crew again soon and see.

Here's one of my pics of the 1325:
  by G&Fman

Not a good pic with all the shade, but here's one of the 2024. I'm afraid I'll have plenty of chances to get better pics of her in the near future (rolls eyes).
  by Jeff Smith

That's quite a line up at Allied, and thanks for sharing these pictures. I didn't realize they were getting that many cars at a time. It seems that business has picked up quite a bit. I would think they could get a pretty long consist if you get 4 or 5 hoppers from Metter; another 3 or 4 from BF, and 3 or 4 from Howard's at once.

Is there a second track at the wye in Metter? I never realized that.

It will be a shame to see the 4215 go; my kids love "Thomas". I don't know if they'll accept the 2024 (a great number from MNRR's old FL9's) as "Thomas". By the way, if you ever get over to Cordele, the SAM shortline is pretty awesome, we did the Thomas thing last October.

At least the 1325 will be around for a while. I wonder what work they're doing at the old Seafood Market there.

I think this line has a lot of potential. We'll see what the new operators do. I wish they could pick up more business in Metter.
  by ineedaraise

It was bought by PIONEER RAILCORP and they dont pay crap because I applied, got a interview and turned it down-16.50/hour for engineers and they said you even had to do track work 2 days a week!
  by G&Fman

Sarge wrote:That's quite a line up at Allied, and thanks for sharing these pictures. I didn't realize they were getting that many cars at a time. It seems that business has picked up quite a bit. I would think they could get a pretty long consist if you get 4 or 5 hoppers from Metter; another 3 or 4 from BF, and 3 or 4 from Howard's at once.

Is there a second track at the wye in Metter? I never realized that.

It will be a shame to see the 4215 go; my kids love "Thomas". I don't know if they'll accept the 2024 (a great number from MNRR's old FL9's) as "Thomas". By the way, if you ever get over to Cordele, the SAM shortline is pretty awesome, we did the Thomas thing last October.

At least the 1325 will be around for a while. I wonder what work they're doing at the old Seafood Market there.

I think this line has a lot of potential. We'll see what the new operators do. I wish they could pick up more business in Metter.
That other track on the wye goes to (if I remember correctly) Grower's Grain. They don't get much rail service at all....heck, I can't remember the last time they got a car in. Years ago a big grain elevator was located there and during the harvest season that track was always full of empty covered hoppers getting loaded. Sadly, the grain elevator was torn down a long time ago. The end of the wye is about 4 cars behind the 4215....the rails literally end into a street. At one time it crossed the street and ended about 500ft past the crossing.

We rode the SAM in '04. Haven't had a chance to take our son to see Thomas yet.

Speaking of SAM and "Thomas", that's probably where the 4215 will end up....in Americus/Cordele. That's my guess though. How fitting that would be? "Thomas"(4215) can help Thomas pull the Thomas train!
  by ashley2771

the 2024 is currently sitting in Statesboro on tracks outside Howard Lumber... no ideas what it's doing...
  by mterrell

Anyone seen 4215 lately? Haven't spotted it at all...it might be gone for good :(
  by ashley2771

haven't seen a thing lately other than some loaded cars spotted at Howard Lumber... must be catching everything at the wrong time... 2024 is no longer at Howard Lumber
  by G&Fman

The 4215 has been moved the GASR's "sister" line in Midville. Don't know if they'll continue to keep the 1320 (still in NS black, although patched) there.

At least she didn't go too far.....
  by ashley2771

GASR has been visiting the Southern States co-op on Hwy. 80 in Statesboro every day this week with covered hoppers... they also kept the 2024 outside Howard Lumber on Tuesday night... do they have second locomotive?