• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by F-line to Dudley via Park

electricron wrote:Let's look at some data..
The States have order 32 Siemens Charger locomotives for Amtrak regional trains
All Aboard Florida has order 10 Siemens Charger locomotives.
That makes a total of 42 new Siemens Charger locomotives being ordered.
Amtrak has 14 P40 diesel locomotives in service today
Amtrak has 197 P42 diesel locomotives in service today
Amtrak has 6 F59PH diesel locomotives in service today for Piedmont trains
Amtrak has 23 F59PHI diesel locomotives in service today for California and Cascade trains

32 new Chargers aren't going to free up that many older diesel locomotives. I would suggest it's more likely the lower horsepower F59PHI locomotives (3,000 hp) are more likely to be let go than the higher horsepower refurbished P40s and P42 locomotives (4,200 hp).
32 is just the base Charger order. There are options for 225 more AMTK Chargers to exercise past the base.

NCDOT's Piedmont equipment is "off-roster" for Amtrak's accounting because of the unique arrangement that has NC owning/maintaining its own equipment. So the adjusted math on the current straight-diesel roster ends up with theoretical maximums of:
197 P42DC's
14 P40DC's + 15 stored/operable P40DC's
21 F59PHI's
18 "Dash 8" P32-8WH's (some in revenue service, some work-only)
. . .for 265 total AMTK and AMTK California diesel units. And then take a % off the top since I'm sure real-world operable units for revenue service are much lower than this.

The Chargers come in 2 configurations. The corridor configuration, which is the whole of the base order and Option #1, and an LD configuration with a larger fuel tank and greater HEP output that's the whole of Option #2. Those numbers break down as:
32 base-order + 75 option-order corridor Chargers
150 option-order long-distance Chargers
. . .for 257 total AMTK and AMTK California diesel units. And then NCDOT can continue to be weird with the Piedmont all by its lonesome.

^^That's where every diesel--except for the dual-mode P32AC-DM's that are on a wholly separate/unrelated replacement cycle--gets wiped clean off the revenue roster. And sends all of it onto the aftermarket for resale, repower, scrap, or some other fate that doesn't involve carrying Amtrak passengers. Since in the real world today's roster is far from 265 with the Dash 8's part-timers and half the P40's in storage, 250+ is a very substantial fleet increase over today. The restructuring around a state-sponsored base order has a lot to do with legal/$$$ tricks and the technical change of speccing separate corridor and LD configurations this time around.

---------------------------------------

Right now the 32-unit base order is structured for:
5 to Pacific Northwest corridor services.
6 to California corridor services.
21 to Chicago-pool corridor services.

-- Cali is using their base order strictly to plug their equipment shortage and allow for some service increases, so there's no change to what they use other than ever-so-slightly less borrowed equipment. However, Caltrans already stated explicit intent to pick up their alloted share of Option #2 at earliest convenience so they can replace all F59PHI's and revenue-service Dash 8's. So unless some epic disaster upends the Chargers to point where all parties have to decline the options, AMTK California will be a uniform Charger operation and the final *minimum* tally will be somewhat higher than 32.
-- Not sure why 5 was the number chosen for for Pac Northwest. Cascades is the only corridor route involved, and 8 Talgo trainsets (obviously not all in-service at any one time) gives them a finite upper limit on power they need. So wouldn't be for increases, and this is probably a trade-in for their F59's. Except that 5 units isn't much for protecting their margins. Maybe they're still planning on continuing to borrow P42's as occasional protect units until the Charger options let them buff it out with a couple more?
-- Chicago pool's 21 units is mainly to plug the power shortage that's been exposed through years of frequency increases out there, and to backstop overall fleet attrition rates by freeing up more P42's to send elsewhere. That's where East and LD's get real relief for freed-up P42's. As well as relief to pull some ailing P42's in for shop time instead of having to run them dead. I imagine this may trigger a round of scrappings of some of the very very dead P42's in storage; they'll no longer have to hang onto those worst cases at Beech Grove as a contingency in case a new power order got canceled and another expensive stimulus remanufacture was the only way to survive.

Short of a technological debacle, the only way the Charger options are getting shorted on numbers is if the Chicago-pool governors band together and decline them. But I don't know how many they get in the +75 of state options to begin with, because California's share of the pie in Round 2 (the F59 replacements) gets way bigger than in Round 1 (the 6 gap-filler units). Also don't know if other states get to put dibs on any units that Illinois and Michigan pass up before the number of options gets formally cut back. There may be wiggle room or other trickery to pull around reassignments.
  by jmar896

Im wondering if anyone on here has any knowledge of the fate of the P40s in storage. I know 15 of them have been rebuilt, but there doesn't seem to be a current idea on what the fate and condition of the stored ones are right now. Heres one of the most recent rosters of the P40s and what has happened to them
From http://members.trainorders.com/geoff_s/ ... x.html#P40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Table key: Running Number..Paint Scheme...Operating Pool..Maintenance Base

800 IV SS WIL Bear DE
801 IV SS WIL Bear DE
802 IV SS WIL Bear DE
803 IV SS WIL Bear DE
804 IV SS WIL Bear DE
805 IV SS WIL Bear DE
806 IV SS WIL Bear DE
807 IV ZZ Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck Boubonnais IL 16MAR1999)
808 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4801
809 Vb IC CHI ###
810 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4802
811 IV SS WIL Bear DE
812 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4800
813 IV SS WIL Bear DE
814 Vb IC CHI ###
815 Vb IC CHI ###
816 Vb IC CHI ###
817 Vb IC CHI ###
818 Vb IC CHI ###
819 III ZZ Scrapped (Wreck Big Bayou Canot 22SEP1993)
820 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4803
821 Vb IC CHI ###
822 "III"QQ ### Anniversary train
823 Vb IC CHI ###
824 Vb IC CHI ###
825 IV SS WIL Bear DE
826 IV SS WIL Bear DE
827 IV SS WIL Bear DE (ACSES fitted)
828 IV SS WIL Bear DE (ACSES fitted)
829 IV ZZ Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck Boubonnais IL 16MAR1999)
830 Vb IC CHI ###
831 Vb IC CHI ###
832 Vb IC CHI ###
833 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
834 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
835 Vb IC CHI ###
836 Vb ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
837 Vb IC CHI ###
838 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
839 Vb SS WIL Bear DE
840 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
841 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
842 Vb ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
843 Vb ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
That page was last updated back in 2012. If anything new has happened to them Id like to know. Since 2012 there have been truck issues with the P42s, so Im wondering if any of them were used to keep the P42s running. I believe the NJT units were sold to CDOT, and It seems 828 was moved to Wilmington. Also, does anyone know why and when 827 and 828 were fitted with ACSES? If anyone can provide any new information about these Id greatly appreciate to know whats happening/happened to them since the latest rosters of them.
Thanks
  by west point

This motive power shortage on Amtrak begs for resolution. It would appear that if Amtrak could get some funds the P-40s could be rebuilt. That would require new trucks for the rucks cannibalized for P-42s as well. The new 125 MPH diesels? What teething problems might they have causing delivery delays ?
  by Backshophoss

The stored P40's that were not upgraded were moved to Beech Grove,and the trucks from those units were
swapped to active P42's,due to mixup between GE and Amtrak on truck maintaince/repair instructions.
There should be a thread about the move somewhere in this forum.......
  by Backshophoss

Siemens based the Charger on an UNproven prime mover to be built by Cummins,
it's still a "R+D" project,that has yet to run on the Indiana RR in freight service. :(
  by jmar896

Backshophoss wrote:The stored P40's that were not upgraded were moved to Beech Grove,and the trucks from those units were
swapped to active P42's,due to mixup between GE and Amtrak on truck maintaince/repair instructions.
There should be a thread about the move somewhere in this forum.......
All of the P40s have been moved to Beech Grove or just some of them? I was under the impression only some of them were moved there. Has Amtrak attempted to repair the cracked trucks and put them back on the P40s?
  by Backshophoss

Other than the 4 sold to NJT were resold to ConnDOT,for use on NHV-Hartford,then Springfield commuter service.
Believe GE and Amtrak are still sorting out the truck mess...
Would not suprise me if the P40's moved to Beech Grove became parts donors.....
  by DutchRailnut

not much common between P40 and P42 , different FDL engine, different brake, different electronics.
  by litz

jmar896 wrote:Has Amtrak attempted to repair the cracked trucks and put them back on the P40s?
Are these even repairable cracks? That's a pretty darned safety critical part of the locomotive there ...
  by DutchRailnut

since they are manufactured trucks a new plate could be cut and welded,
or new trucks could be ordered from Vossloh in Germany they are original manufacturer, they bought M.A.K
  by kitn1mcc

Don't know what the big deal about Cummins is. They have been in the diesel engine game longer than anyone. Also looks how many center cab switchers have cummins engines
  by DutchRailnut

the big cummins to go in charger is already running in some marine applications.
  by jmar896

I doubt Amtrak would buy new trucks for the P40s unless they got more funding to rebuild the rest of them. Even if they get money to rebuild some I wouldn't be surprised if instead they opted to repair/rebuild some out of service P42s. The only way I could really see the P40s getting new trucks is if Amtrak gets new trucks for free or very cheap from GE.

Im going to work on a new roster of the P40s including there current status and location based on the information I can get from photos.
  by Matt Johnson

The four NJ Transit P40s have been sold to CDOT. Not sure if they're augmenting or replacing the existing Connecticut P40 fleet.
  by jmar896

Matt Johnson wrote:The four NJ Transit P40s have been sold to CDOT. Not sure if they're augmenting or replacing the existing Connecticut P40 fleet.
I believe there augmenting the current fleet. Conn. has 8 P40s right now, they bought 4. The 4 cannot replace all 8, I believe some of the NJT units do not run as of right now.

Here's what I have for the P40 roster right now. I haven't been able to confirm the locations of 5 units, 804, 813, 825, 827, and 839.

Amtrak P40s
800 Stored at Beech Grove
801 Stored at Beech Grove
802 Stored at Beech Grove
803 Stored at Beech Grove
805 Stored at Beech Grove
806 Scrapped Beech Grove (Wrecked at Boubonnais IL March 16 1999)
808 Sold to NJTransit, renumbered to NJT4801, Sold to Conn DOT
809 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
810 Sold to NJTransit, renumbered to NJT4802, Sold to Conn DOT
811 Stored at Beech Grove
812 Sold to NJTransit, renumbered to NJT4800, Sold to Conn Dot
814 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
815 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
816 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
817 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
818 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
819 Scrapped (Wrecked at Big Bayou Canot September 22 1993)
820 Sold to NJTransit, Renumbered to NJT4803, Sold to Conn Dot
821 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
822 Rebuilt with TIGER funds, Anniversary train
823 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
824 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
826 Stored at Beech Grove
827 (ACSES fitted)
828 Stored in Wilmington DE as of 4/29/2015 (ACSES fitted)
829 Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck at Boubonnais IL March 16 1999)
830 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
831 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
832 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
833 Sold to Conn DOT
834 Sold to Conn DOT
835 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
836 Sold to Conn DOT
837 Rebuilt with TIGER funds
838 Sold to Conn DOT
840 Sold to Conn DOT
841 Sold to Conn DOT
842 Sold to Conn DOT