• GE Transportation pressing for Amtrak deal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Super Seis

Mod Note: The poster inquires where some of us get our information. Welcome to the board but try to be polite.

First of all, the statement made by ? that EMD announced to the world what business it would or would not bid on is pure NONSENSE. Obviously, you have no idea how the rail equipment business works these days. This type of information is kept as PROPRIETARY by ALL the players.

Second, there was an RFP (commercial and technical) for a certain quantity of electric locomotives out on the street some months ago. All I will say that everybody and their brother were interested in responding to this RFP.

There is yet more work to be done before a firm order is placed.

Given that GE has absolutely no experience in constructing modern high speed electric locomotives, I would suspect their proposal goes right to the bottom of the pile. Most equipment specs. have a line item covering this point-which avoids fiascos such as the Rohr cars for BART and the UA Turbotrains.
  by Nasadowsk

Super Seis wrote: Given that GE has absolutely no experience in constructing modern high speed electric locomotives, I would suspect their proposal goes right to the bottom of the pile.
If they even bother. I agree that such a proposal would go right to the bottom. Unless MPI bids, then it'd be 2nd to bottom...

My guess: It'll be either an ALP-46A derivative, a Bombardier TRAXX, or whatever Siemens (Taurus?) or Almost is building this year, Americanized.
Most equipment specs. have a line item covering this point-which avoids fiascos such as the Rohr cars for BART and the UA Turbotrains.
For the fiasco they were, Bart's cars haven't been too bad: they're still running.
  by Fan Railer

The taurus isn't offered in the US. if siemens wants to bid, they'll probably come up with a design based off of the taurus.

Alstom would probably offer the prima, given that that's the only electric locomotive they build on a production basis anyway.
  by Tadman

Mod Note: I've edited some comments and removed some comments. Calling names is childish and so are personal attacks.
  by Olton Hall

Nasadowsk wrote:
Super Seis wrote: My guess: It'll be either an ALP-46A derivative, a Bombardier TRAXX, or whatever Siemens (Taurus?) or Almost is building this year, Americanized.
I recently read a press quote from Bombardier that they are bidding with the ALP-46A.
  by Nasadowsk

Olton Hall wrote:
I recently read a press quote from Bombardier that they are bidding with the ALP-46A.[/quote]

Talk about a shoo-in, an (almost) proven locomotive that isn't a piece of junk, plus the easy terms from Canada's Crown corporation that isn't (*wink* *wink* honest!).

My guess is the runner-up would be Siemens, or Almost. I don't see either of those - Siemens just doesn't have the traction (heh) in the US, and Almost? Well, French locomotives have never done well in the US, even if they work just fine elsewhere...

The only black eye for BBD would be the rep the HHP-8's got.
  by Fan Railer

Olton Hall wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:
Super Seis wrote: My guess: It'll be either an ALP-46A derivative, a Bombardier TRAXX, or whatever Siemens (Taurus?) or Almost is building this year, Americanized.
I recently read a press quote from Bombardier that they are bidding with the ALP-46A.
well, they might get the chance if those tests come back possitive from pueblo with the one that NJT is sending out there now...
  by TREnecNYP

GE could build an IORE type loco, shortened to a single long articulated unit. Streamline the hell out of it, gear it to 150 and make 80 of them. Combined with corridor upgrades it would be a death blow to the airline shuttle routes between albany & nyc, hbg and phl etc etc. Tie replacement is nearly complete on the NEC, and cat upgrades could be done incrementally. As for diesel, make a replacement for the gennies that can do 110, outfit option models with pantograph/3rd rail shoe.

Just my 2¢,

- A
  by catch

As some already have mentioned (and repeated...): This request is for a minimum 125mph fast, 8000hp powered, overhead line feed , electric locomotive....

And...let me allow one simple question....
is there anybody who knows, what company really has placed a bid to AMTRAK??? 1? 2? 3?...more?...and if any , who??
Sorry.... but most of this discussion here, sounds to me like farytales, not touching the topic itselfes and some nice, but unrealistic dreams...

So, lets see who is bidding...than we see what really can happen.

Have a nice day...and, sorry but hopefully not to late, a happy new year
  by Jtgshu

Fan Railer wrote:well, they might get the chance if those tests come back possitive from pueblo with the one that NJT is sending out there now...
NJT will be doing extensive testing im sure on their own of the '46a on the NEC with Amtrak people there. (if CSX ever delievers the loco that is supposed to go to NJT, and NJT accepts it after all its wheels apparetly went on the ground at Port Newark, NJ.........)

Amtrak will have first hand knowledge of how the '46a is testing, and I wouldn't be surprised if an Amtrak rep is actually out in Pueblo with NJT folks for the testing out there, considering that its going to be running at those higher speeds not on NJT territory, but on Amtraks NEC.
  by TREnecNYP

Jtgshu wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:well, they might get the chance if those tests come back possitive from pueblo with the one that NJT is sending out there now...
NJT will be doing extensive testing im sure on their own of the '46a on the NEC with Amtrak people there. (if CSX ever delievers the loco that is supposed to go to NJT, and NJT accepts it after all its wheels apparetly went on the ground at Port Newark, NJ.........)

Amtrak will have first hand knowledge of how the '46a is testing, and I wouldn't be surprised if an Amtrak rep is actually out in Pueblo with NJT folks for the testing out there, considering that its going to be running at those higher speeds not on NJT territory, but on Amtraks NEC.
Well, since there are extra trains asked of NJT from amtk every here and there, i cannot imagine this out of NJT territory testing being at all any kind of problem. There is also a "train to the game" between new haven and secacus, wherethey switch to a PVL line diesel to the stadium rail station, the ALP46+MLV train is then sent into the MMC i believe. I am betting amtrak will get to borrow a 46a for at least a day of not more as long as there are no scheduling conflicts with NJT pax movements and available power.

- A
  by Jishnu

TREnecNYP wrote: There is also a "train to the game" between new haven and secacus, wherethey switch to a PVL line diesel to the stadium rail station, the ALP46+MLV train is then sent into the MMC i believe.
No. At NYP they usually become an NJCL train and I have heard occasionally they even become an NEC train, but that is unusual.
  by Fan Railer

Jishnu wrote:
TREnecNYP wrote: There is also a "train to the game" between new haven and secacus, wherethey switch to a PVL line diesel to the stadium rail station, the ALP46+MLV train is then sent into the MMC i believe.
No. At NYP they usually become an NJCL train and I have heard occasionally they even become an NEC train, but that is unusual.
i believe they only sent the sets into the MMC the first time they did the runs because they didn't know what to do with them in the down time...
  by Jtgshu

TREnecNYP wrote: Well, since there are extra trains asked of NJT from amtk every here and there, i cannot imagine this out of NJT territory testing being at all any kind of problem. There is also a "train to the game" between new haven and secacus, wherethey switch to a PVL line diesel to the stadium rail station, the ALP46+MLV train is then sent into the MMC i believe. I am betting amtrak will get to borrow a 46a for at least a day of not more as long as there are no scheduling conflicts with NJT pax movements and available power.

- A
Im not quite sure what you are saying here? What does testing the new locos have to do with the New Haven/MNRR trains?

NJT runs test trains all the time on the NEC - every single ML has been on a test train before entering service. When new locos are tested, there are often very senior management types on board as well to see how the loco performs, both NJT and Amtrak people.

There WILL be test trains with the new locos. It has nothing to do with if there schedules or available power or whatever....
  by TREnecNYP

Ah, ok. Glad they found a use for it. Do crews swap out at NYP?

I think amtk should get a 4th of july extra with the very next 46a delivered & see what they think.
---------------------

When i say test train, i mean handing off the 46a to amtrak for use on the full NEC hauling amfleets etc, obviously you don't want to pull an active loco from service for this if it creates a power availability issue for NJT. That's all i'm saying. Not initial test run, but simply loaning the 46a to amtk to test with amtk trains.

The MNRR part is an aside, the MTA crews were qualifying on the equipment before service started, amtk crews would also have to. Sorry if i was unclear!!!

- A