• Former B&M Stations in MA and NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by GP40MC 1116

I was wondering if anyone knew of any B&M Stations that are still standing in the MA or NH Area. And if so, if they are near the tracks or not Below is a recent picture i took of the Andover, MA B&M Station

by Rockingham Racer

Nice shot. As a kid, I used to hang out there and wait for the State of Maine to go by.
Methuen station was still standing the last time I went by it, although not in as good a condition as Andover's by any means. I'm pretty sure Reading and Wakefield are also the original shells, with some "makeovers" over the decades.

by GP40MC 1116

Rockingham Racer wrote:Nice shot. As a kid, I used to hang out there and wait for the State of Maine to go by.
Methuen station was still standing the last time I went by it, although not in as good a condition as Andover's by any means. I'm pretty sure Reading and Wakefield are also the original shells, with some "makeovers" over the decades.
The Methuen, MA Station is still their, same as I saw it in January of this year, still the same as it was, I have a recent picture of that as well, see below

http://www.geocities.com/airforcejrotc_2004/methuen.jpg

by Rockingham Racer

There used to be a small yard there in Methuen, believe it or not. Also, the Salem, NH station was right there at the tracks and Rt. 97. The building's still there, and I think it's the original station, with another major do-over or three along the way.

One thing I'd like to do [if I still lived there] is follow the old Northern Route between Concord and White River. It'd be interesting to see if any of those stations or freight houses are still standing. US rt. 4 out of Concord would do the trick for that excursion.

by FatNoah

I believe that there is one at Potter Place which is along Rt. 4 in that stretch.

The former station in Laconia, NH is in pretty good condition. It now houses a florist, a mexican restaurant (excellent BTW, it ain't no burrito joint), and a cafe. The main waiting room is now closed, but it actually housed a Little Caesar's for a while. It was the nicest one of those ever!

by b&m 1566

I never really thought the station in Methuen was in bad shape. I believe it's home to the senior citizens for Bingo or something. The station in Salem however is in sad shape. You can see it right now in full view but not for long. There building a new building right in front of it.
The restaurant in the Laconia Station is "The Black Cat” my ex-girlfriend use to work their... good for nothing b**cough :-D LOVELY LADY!!! Anyways here's a few site to look at http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/newhampshire/
http://www.trainweb.org/rshs/great_rail ... ations.htm
  by wog820

Ashland NH Station is looking pretty good too!

by Steam

There probably are dozens of former B&M stations in Mass and N.H., too many to list here. Every line has a few still standing, either in their original locations, or nearby. Most have been converted to some dwelling, civic hall, business, etc. Some are easy to spot, while others are so altered as to be almost unrecognizeable. The South Middleton (MA) station which recently "turned up" is a good example of the latter. It now is saved, but moved from its location and stored pending restoration. A great example of a former B&M station "up country" would be the one at Alton Bay, NH. Check that one out sometime when you're up that way. There are several others on that line still standing.

Photos of most of these stations are available for viewing in the Walker Transportation Collection at the Beverly (MA) Historical Society. They are open Wednesday evenings from 7 to 10 or by appointment on Saturdays. Check 'em out!

by Guilford Guy

Lexington mass

by MEC407

There are some in Maine too. People sometimes forget it was called the Boston & MAINE Railroad. :wink:

by NellsChoo

Belmont, which is still used, on the outside.

Littleton, privately owned by next to the T

Athol, privately owned, ex-Fitchburg RR - next to Guilford's trackage

by musehobo

Speaking of Maine stations of the B&M only. The ones I have found still standing (some moved) are: Agamenticus, North Berwick, Wells Beach, The Elms, Kennebunk, Pine Point, Bedell, York Harbor, Gorham. Too many in Mass and NH to list.

by MEC407

The B&M station in Biddeford is still standing. It's a sports bar now.

by Rockingham Racer

I forgot to mention Lawrence! You wouldn't know it, but the brick building used to be the station, and the only way to access the platform from it was to use a tunnel. Even sported a snack bar! You could also access the platform on the west end via a stairway.