• Former B&M Stations in MA and NH

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by michael_m_rubino

The Tunnel from the old Platform to the street is filled up with debris on the platform end and blocked by a brick wall on the street side. When the stop was still active, you could walk westerly to the end of the old platform and see the old ped tunnel. The old steps are still in place on the west side, but they are blocked off. The "LAWRENCE STATION" sign on the west side of the station is visible behind the trees.

by NellsChoo

musehobo wrote:Speaking of Maine stations of the B&M only.
OOOPS! Sorry about that! Got carried away! ;-)

by Jonny Bolt

The Hampton NH station is still there, in Depot Square. Houses small businesses. The tiny North Hampton, NH station is still there too, next to the Atlantic Ave. overpass. It home to another small business of some sort now. Both are right next to the tracks.

by b&m 1566

Jonny Bolt wrote:The Hampton NH station is still there, in Depot Square. Houses small businesses. The tiny North Hampton, NH station is still there too, next to the Atlantic Ave. overpass. It home to another small business of some sort now. Both are right next to the tracks.
You know for someone that really isn't paying attention they would never know that the station is still there because it doesn't even look like one anymore. Last time I saw it there was a motorcycle dealer using it. I remember looking in the window and seeing all new motorcycles lined up inside.
The North Hampton Station on the other hand looks very nice. I believe it's a private home now or a lawyer’s office. (Off topic: about 10 years ago I remember seeing BAR passenger cars sitting on a siding just on the other side of the bridge from the North Hampton Station. Went by the area with my father about a year later and the cars were gone. The cars were orange and yellow or orange and brown, I can't remember. Dose anybody ever remember seeing the cars there?)

by wog820

Those two cars are probaly the two ex BAR crew cars, they went over to the Hobo soon after and are now the "Cold Harbor" and "Chislom Ridge"

by Rockingham Racer

Well, just got back from up there, and took a ride on the Downeaster--first time. The stations I can remember still surviving are Plaistow, E. Kingston, Newton Jct. in NH and Kennebunk in Maine. I think Atkinson had a station, but I didn't see it.

by MEC407

Rockingham Racer wrote:Well, just got back from up there, and took a ride on the Downeaster--first time. The stations I can remember still surviving are Plaistow, E. Kingston, Newton Jct. in NH and Kennebunk in Maine. I think Atkinson had a station, but I didn't see it.
Did you go all the way to Portland? If so, you must have missed the old station in Wells. :-) It's about a mile east of the new station (the one used by the Downeaster). Oh, and also the old station in Biddeford (about half a mile west of the Saco Downeaster stop).

by Steam

Isn't the old station at Exeter, NH still there... seems to me it was an "eatery"?

by Rockingham Racer

You're both right. I wasn't taking notes, and prob should have! Exeter's old station is stone. It's classic.

by AKB2370

You should try either Bedford or Lexington. The tracks aren't there but the station still is....

And I happen to work next to the Lexington Depot so you should do that on a Saturday and Bri and I can meat up with you :-D

If I understand everything correctly both stations have a little RR history display in them. I also know there’s pictures of tracks on NERAIL somewhere in this area but Brian and I have yet to find them... maybe with an extra pair of eyes we could do better :wink:

by Rockingham Racer

AKB2370 wrote:You should try either Bedford or Lexington. The tracks aren't there but the station still is....

And I happen to work next to the Lexington Depot so you should do that on a Saturday and Bri and I can meat up with you :-D

If I understand everything correctly both stations have a little RR history display in them. I also know there’s pictures of tracks on NERAIL somewhere in this area but Brian and I have yet to find them... maybe with an extra pair of eyes we could do better :wink:
Thanks for the offer, but I live in Texas. I was visiting my sister up there last week in Lawrence. :-)

by Ron Newman

The Bedford, MA, station is normally a snack bar and souvenir shop on weekends, but it's been closed for renovations the last few times I've visited this summer.

by Steam

The "snack bar/souvenir shop" in Bedford actually is the former freight house (and originally the Billerica & Bedford RR's enginehouse), while the actual Bedford station is a short distance away. They are part of the Bedford Depot Park project.

by Jonny Bolt

b&m 1566 wrote:
Jonny Bolt wrote:The Hampton NH station is still there, in Depot Square. Houses small businesses. The tiny North Hampton, NH station is still there too, next to the Atlantic Ave. overpass. It home to another small business of some sort now. Both are right next to the tracks.
You know for someone that really isn't paying attention they would never know that the station is still there because it doesn't even look like one anymore. Last time I saw it there was a motorcycle dealer using it. I remember looking in the window and seeing all new motorcycles lined up inside.
The North Hampton Station on the other hand looks very nice. I believe it's a private home now or a lawyer’s office. (Off topic: about 10 years ago I remember seeing BAR passenger cars sitting on a siding just on the other side of the bridge from the North Hampton Station. Went by the area with my father about a year later and the cars were gone. The cars were orange and yellow or orange and brown, I can't remember. Dose anybody ever remember seeing the cars there?)
Yes, in Hampton that was Depot Honda that used to be in there. Man that was yeeeears ago lol. They moved up to Rye on Rte. 1 a long time ago.

I dont remember seeing those cars on the siding up there in No. Hampton though.

For a town, Hampton, that is the biggest Summer tourist attraction/"resort", I still cant believe in this day and age that we havent gotten passenger rail service back through here yet. It is just mind boggling. 3+ dollar a gallon gas, plans for the beach to almost completely revamped and made into a year 'round resort with an aquarium, no parking for all this insanity, and yet....still no plans for passenger rail. Not only is it mind boggling, but foolish.

Too many humanoids, too many cars, too much traffic, too much pollution, and not enough active rail.

by AKB2370

Jonny Bolt wrote: Too many humanoids, too many cars, too much traffic, too much pollution, and not enough active rail.
Amen!

And about the Bedford Depot..... are there plans for the RR history display in there? I forget who told me that, and I've never actually looked into it myself so I was just kinda going off of a whim with that one....